Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: H2 Changes, for its last season  (Read 21037 times)

PeterMarshallFan

H2 Changes, for its last season
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2003, 12:22:20 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Aug 7 2003, 12:18 PM\']
If you go down a list of the truly classic games -- or even the ones we consider great games that never became classics -- you'll find they either straddle, are structurally self-contained or at least have a logical speed-up round.

"Whew" popped into mind because it always fits the bill around here of "great game, short run." What else?

-Jason [/quote]
Magnificent Marble Machine? :-)

ChuckNet

« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2003, 12:23:28 PM »
I agree that Mull is a gifted comic and wit who deserves any recognition he gets.

Not to mention that he's one of the few semi-regs who can give both witty joke answers AND credible bluffs.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

ChuckNet

« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2003, 12:26:40 PM »
And if this should be the last year, they have the satisfaction of knowing that aside from the original, theirs was easily the best version of the show to date. All you can ask for is the knowledge that they produced the best show they could, and they certainly did that.

No question...they even brought original HS staffer Jay Redack aboard for season 2, which may have been a contributing factor in making sure that this version was \"done right\".

ChuckNet

« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2003, 12:29:40 PM »
Duly noted. I have seen times where a contestant ran 7 of 9 and STILL lost $25,000.

It happened during GS Week last Dec, IIRC.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2003, 12:37:34 PM »
Magnificent Marble Machine? :-)
Well, at least it straddled!

As for Whew!, I had a problem with the structural soundness of that one for a different reason.  Because the roles of the blocker and the attacker were so dramatically different, I didn't like settling it with a two-out-of-three match.  I'd do it a little differently and have them play until one contestant won two games in a row, one as the blocker and one as the attacker.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2003, 12:48:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 7 2003, 09:37 AM\'] Because the roles of the blocker and the attacker were so dramatically different, I didn't like settling it with a two-out-of-three match. [/quote]
 This was my problem with the Rafferty Blockbusters, although that was handled OK (not GREAT, but OK) with the sixteen-space tiebreaker board for game 3.

I don't have a problem with it on Whew!, but certainly an independent third game needed to be in place where both players were on an even keel if it was found to be necessary.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2003, 12:56:20 PM »
Rafferty BB might have been better off going with the sixteen space board for all games, where neither player would have an advantage throughout the game. Well, some would argue they'd have been better retaning the two against one format of the Cullen show, but that's another story.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2003, 02:25:10 PM »
Here's an issue with \"Whew\" I can only guess came up a few times on ATGS: does anybody find it unfair they penalized a player for winning two straight rounds? A player who got to a third indeed got more money and more seconds in the Gauntlet then somebody who won it in two.

The bonus board idea is attractive for a revival for two reasons: one, it solves that problem and two, it keeps each show self-contained. My beef is it doesn't fit in when the player loses. There's no downer that he \"lost\" and no winner either. Feels flat. So, twisting my point, I'd keep things the way they were. That was a waste of time :-p

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

GS Warehouse

« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2003, 06:00:25 PM »
If it's a self-contained Whew! you want, try a round-robin format.  Three players, each blocking against one opponent and charging against another.  Here's a hypothetical example:
Round 1:  George blocks, Matt charges
Round 2:  Let's say Matt won round 1.  George now charges, Chuck blocks.
Round 3:  Chuck charges, Matt blocks.
If one player wins both their rounds, he goes on the Gauntlet.  If all three players win exactly one game, the player who accumulated the most money wins.

Random thought: we've seen video of three Whew! openings, one closing, and two Gauntlet runs, both wins--but never an upfront round.  I wonder if someone is eventually going to upload one, because all I know about how it's done I learned from Mike Klauss's ICQ transcript from six years ago.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2003, 06:00:41 PM by GS Warehouse »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2003, 06:17:44 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Aug 7 2003, 03:00 PM\'] I wonder if someone is eventually going to upload one, because all I know about how it's done I learned from Mike Klauss's ICQ transcript from six years ago. [/quote]
 Probably not, since most of us who are Whew! fans but don't have episodes to watch either a) remember watching the show and know how it works, or b) have seen Randy Amasia's Web page (which I think Klaussie now hosts following Randy's passing) which is basically an illustrated version of the show bible, and can be found here:

http://www.tv-gameshows.com/wolpert/whew/index.html
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

joshg

« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2003, 02:39:27 AM »
On Saturday, after returning from the first taping day, I wrote up a detailed account of my first trip to watch Hollywood Squares. I was going to post it on this board in the Spoilers section (with three replies to myself to get it all in), but since this thread already exists, I'll just put up a web link:

http://www.geocities.com/mstiescott/hs080203.html

Isn't it possible to not have the best 2 out of 3 match completed by the end of the Friday show? Then what happens?

JOSH
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

SplitSecond

« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2003, 02:46:58 AM »
The stars stay in the same place, but they bring in new symbols for the next week.

Wait... strike that; reverse it.

joshg

« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2003, 02:59:35 AM »
The stars stay in the same place, but they bring in new symbols for the next week.

Wait... strike that; reverse it.

So Game 1 is over, \"and we're out of time... tune in Monday when Charo is in the Center Square and we'll start with Game 2. Bye!\" How did they handle the 'weekend' straddle on the old 'Squares'?

JOSH
« Last Edit: August 08, 2003, 06:52:42 AM by matchgame »
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

zachhoran

« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2003, 09:10:16 AM »
THey'd keep the game from Friday into Monday with the same squares occupied. The stars sitting in the unoccupied seats would be in play for the unfinished game Monday's show would begin with. THis is just like on MG CBS7x when the celebs changed(in seats 1,4 and 6 usually). The celebs that are sitting in the seats of the celebs matched on Friday sat out of the round two question of the game straddled on Friday, which would resume on Monday(or the next show when the five shows with that panel didn't run MOnday-Friday)

HSquares2003

« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2003, 11:26:19 AM »
If it does get the ax, It'll be back within 3 years for sure