Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Contestant Coordinators  (Read 6216 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Contestant Coordinators
« on: April 22, 2005, 05:56:42 PM »
Back in the good old days, you could watch an episode of "Wheel of Fortune," and see good game playing, real enthusiasm, and interesting personalities all wrapped up in one nice package.

Those...were the good old days.  These days, we get people who yell their letters, call letters that are exposed on the board, and basically muck up a game that is not that hard to begin with.

So, the buck has to land somewhere.  Are Wheel's CCs looking for something besides good game playing?  If they are, would you mind sharing what it is, because I'll have to practice that instead of solving the puzzle after three letters are called.
Travis L. Eberle

cmjb13

Contestant Coordinators
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 06:09:32 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Apr 22 2005, 05:56 PM\']Are Wheel's CCs looking for something besides good game playing?
[snapback]82917[/snapback]
[/quote]
From what I've seen they tend to go for annoying, good looking people.

Maybe they are just picking from what they have to choose from. Then again, with so many people applying...

From WOF's website:

"We love players who are at ease, fun, and good game players. It's important that the game moves along as quickly as possible; that players are decisive in calling out their letters (in a loud voice) and in choosing their game strategy (whether to spin, buy a vowel, or solve the puzzle.) We want contestants to call logical letters; good game players seem to strike a good balance between calling consonants and buying vowels. (Why buy vowels? It may help to fill in the gaps in the puzzles.) It's been our general observation through the years that contestants who play with energy, poise, and a sense of humor (without forgetting to call logical letters) - tend to do better on the show"
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Contestant Coordinators
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 06:43:28 PM »
Back in the day, producers were ultimately responsible for the final selection of contestants. On our show, if we didn't like a contestant at any time prior to their appearance, we had the right to send them on their way, but I do not recall one instance of this happening.

I once threw out an obnoxious run-thru contestant on another project.

tvrandywest

Contestant Coordinators
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 07:26:21 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Apr 22 2005, 02:43 PM\']I once threw out an obnoxious run-thru contestant on another project.
[snapback]82929[/snapback]
[/quote]
Was that you?   ;-)

The producer still has the ultimate approval, and always sees the contestants before the show starts. On Rafferty CS, even after all the interviewing, testing, mock game play, and a "final" meeting with the producer, we were then paraded on-camera for a final look-see just before taping.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 07:29:18 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

zachhoran

Contestant Coordinators
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 07:39:53 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Apr 22 2005, 06:26 PM\']
The producer still has the ultimate approval, and always sees the contestants before the show starts. On Rafferty CS, even after all the interviewing, testing, mock game play, and a "final" meeting with the producer, we were then paraded on-camera for a final look-see just before taping.

[snapback]82931[/snapback]
[/quote]

I didn't know you worked on Rafferty CS. Or were you a contestant or audience poll player on it?

tvwxman

Contestant Coordinators
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 07:52:10 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Apr 22 2005, 05:43 PM\']Back in the day, producers were ultimately responsible for the final selection of contestants. On our show, if we didn't like a contestant at any time prior to their appearance, we had the right to send them on their way, but I do not recall one instance of this happening.
[snapback]82929[/snapback]
[/quote]

For the primetime Weakest Link, 12 contestants were flown out to LA for each 8 contesant show.... To make the final 8, we were individually interviewed by the EPs, who asked one basic question : Do you think you can win?

I'm glad I made the cut and got on, but remember feeling bad for the ones who took a regional test, passed it, got interviewed by contestant coordinators, made the cut, flew to LA, only to not make it on the show and watch the proceedings from the green room....
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Robert Hutchinson

Contestant Coordinators
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 07:08:01 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 22 2005, 05:09 PM\']From WOF's website:

"We love players who are at ease, fun, and good game players. It's important that the game moves along as quickly as possible; that players are decisive in calling out their letters (in a loud voice)"[/quote]

I get the impression lately that the contestant coordinators have a different idea of what constitutes "a loud voice" than Pat Sajak does, bless him.

"T!!!!" "YES!!!! THREE Ts!!!"
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Contestant Coordinators
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005, 02:26:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Apr 23 2005, 04:08 AM\']I get the impression lately that the contestant coordinators have a different idea of what constitutes "a loud voice" than Pat Sajak does, bless him.
[/quote]

I get the impression that the contestant coordinators have a different idea of what constitutes "a good contestant" than, say, any of us fans, or indeed anyone with a clue. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

wasabe

Contestant Coordinators
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2005, 02:50:08 PM »
I get the impression that the contestant coordinators have a different idea of what constitutes "a good contestant" than, say, any of us fans, or indeed anyone with a clue. :)

All I can add to this is my own personal experience.  Last year I went to a Wheelmobile event, was lucky enough to have my name drawn at random, then went up on stage and solved the puzzle.

I was called back a few weeks later for the final audition, solved a puzzle in the first section of the day in front of the entire group, and then passed a written quiz with 16 puzzles on it.

Then those of us who passed were asked to stay around and play a slightly more detailed mock game.  I was pleasant and enthusiastic, called out "good" letters in a strong voice, and clapped appropriately for my fellow players, but just couldn't bring myself to be a "jump up and down type screamer".  For the record, I am a white male in my early thirties, and am of average appearance.  I was dressed in a sport jacket, button down collar shirt (no tie), a pair of slacks, and dress shoes.

I never heard from them again.  It is what is, but it was disheartening in the sense that I knew I was a very good player, and yet nothing came of it.  And with the process as difficult as it is (having to go to a number of Wheelmobile events hoping you're one of 50 names that get drawn from a barrel of about 500-1000), it has made me not want to try again.

Kevin Prather

Contestant Coordinators
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2005, 02:52:00 PM »
Basically, if you wanna be on the show, fake it through the auditions, then once the actual show starts, behave properly to keep your dignity, right?

bellbm

Contestant Coordinators
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2005, 10:47:07 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Apr 23 2005, 01:52 PM\']Basically, if you wanna be on the show, fake it through the auditions, then once the actual show starts, behave properly to keep your dignity, right?
[snapback]83042[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thats exactly what I did.
I was on Wheel  a few years ago.  I'm definitely not a "jump and down" person.  I'm very laid back and even tempered, but I was enthusiastic in the audition, and my hands hurt from clapping so much.

AFter I solved one of the puzzles during the taping, the contestant co-ordinator came over and told me to be more enthusiastic, I had just won the round, and she said I wasn't excited at all.

I wasn't  necessarily conscious of it during the show, but you've got to know what they are looking for in the audition.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Contestant Coordinators
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2005, 11:01:13 PM »
[quote name=\'bellbm\' date=\'Apr 23 2005, 07:47 PM\']AFter I solved one of the puzzles during the taping, the contestant co-ordinator came over and told me to be more enthusiastic, I had just won the round, and she said I wasn't excited at all.
[/quote]
Did you tell 'em to go screw?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Contestant Coordinators
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2005, 11:29:30 PM »
[quote name=\'wasabe\' date=\'Apr 23 2005, 01:50 PM\']I never heard from them again. [/quote]
Of course not.  Because the producers of Wheel would rather have some ninny from UCLA on the set screaming because he just won $300.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 11:29:51 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

zachhoran

Contestant Coordinators
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2005, 11:40:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Apr 23 2005, 10:29 PM\'][quote name=\'wasabe\' date=\'Apr 23 2005, 01:50 PM\']I never heard from them again. [/quote]
Of course not.  Because the producers of Wheel would rather have some ninny from UCLA on the set screaming because he just won $300.
[snapback]83083[/snapback]
[/quote]

They'd really be screaming if they only won $300, because no one on Wheel wins less than $500 these days.

Kevin Prather

Contestant Coordinators
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2005, 11:43:58 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 23 2005, 08:40 PM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Apr 23 2005, 10:29 PM\'][quote name=\'wasabe\' date=\'Apr 23 2005, 01:50 PM\']I never heard from them again. [/quote]
[snapback]83083[/snapback]
[/quote]

They'd really be screaming if they only won $300, because no one on Wheel wins less than $500 these days.
[snapback]83087[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ok, I need a ruling on this one. We can't whoosh him because he didn't miss a joke, per se...but he DID miss Mark's point...Chris, I'll leave this one to you.