Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Choose Up Sides  (Read 8554 times)

ilb4ever2000

Choose Up Sides
« on: April 23, 2005, 03:40:27 AM »
Looks like we got a rarity tonight. Instead of a 1956 NBC Gene Rayburn episode, which I suppose most of us were expecting, we got a CBS episode with Bob Kennedy from, according to GSN, September 24, 1953. The EoTVGS doesn't even mention this run! What's going on?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Choose Up Sides
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 03:47:04 AM »
Someone reported that it was a local show, before Rayburn was at the helm.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

ilb4ever2000

Choose Up Sides
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 03:49:19 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Apr 23 2005, 02:47 AM\']Someone reported that it was a local show, before Rayburn was at the helm.
[snapback]82986[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's what I figured, but the credits mentioned the CBS television network and one of the home entries came from Everett, WA.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Choose Up Sides
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 04:52:22 AM »
NO GS CONTENT WHATSOEVER: I was in Everett, WA today. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

Choose Up Sides
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 11:53:26 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 23 2005, 03:52 AM\']NO GS CONTENT WHATSOEVER: I was in Everett, WA today. :)
[snapback]82992[/snapback]
[/quote]

OK, Henke. ;-) <ducking>
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Winkfan

Choose Up Sides
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 12:47:39 PM »
Through the magic of my DVR, I just saw the episode in question myself. As the Crests once sang back in 1961, WHAT A SURPRISE! My "woman's intuition" detects that this was probably a PILOT for the "Tiffany Network." The teams were called "Space Rangers" instead of "Space Pilots" and "Cowboys" rather than "Bronco Busters" as we would come to know them. There was a "ring-toss" bonus game, a different announcer; they didn't even have a "Mr. Mischief!"

But this would not be the last time that CBS let a potential game show hit (or flop) slip through their hands into NBC's grasp. Over a decade later, Paley's network would miss out on getting The Hollywood Squares, only to have Sarnoff's network take it and "run with the ball."

It just goes to show that with GSN, you never know what "buried treasures" (Remember three years ago when some $10,000 Pyramid episodes we had dismissed as "lost to the ages" were aired?) may turn up; even at three in the morning!

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Gina Hecht of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 12:53:03 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Choose Up Sides
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 03:47:25 PM »
It just goes to show that with GSN, you never know what "buried treasures" (Remember three years ago when some $10,000 Pyramid episodes we had dismissed as "lost to the ages" were aired?) may turn up; even at three in the morning!

If there's anything to be learned, it's that we should all stop and rethink our notions about some of these shows presumed "lost forever."
I didn't even know such a run with Bob Kennedy existed!

And did I remember to tape it? Of course not. D'oh!
I wonder if GSN'll finally bust out Missing Links one of these days...

--Jamie
https://www.patreon.com/BlanquePage - A building library of game show music remixes you never thought you'd need to hear ^_-
https://gameshowvault.blogspot.com/ - The revived Game Show Vault blog
www.youtube.com/blanquepage - Youtube channel of fun game show stuff

Gromit

Choose Up Sides
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 01:04:58 AM »
Well, I guess that explains why the show I was watching seemed to bear little resemblance to what I was told would be on. I keep looking for Gene, a Mr. Mischief, all the while thinking I must have missed them.

GS Warehouse

Choose Up Sides
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 12:50:21 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 23 2005, 03:52 AM\']NO GS CONTENT WHATSOEVER: I was in Everett, WA today. :)
[/quote]
I bought the new volume of Garfield and Friends last Tuesday, the day it came out.

At first glance, you'd say that, too, had no gs content at all, but it includes the Orson's Farm (aka U.S. Acres) cartoon where Roy seeks out the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow only to stumble on an LMaD-type game show, complete with Rod Roddy as the announcer.  Veteran voice actor Neil Ross, late of GSN, is also featured in several episodes.

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time for Name That Fish.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 12:50:47 PM by GS Warehouse »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Choose Up Sides
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 08:31:59 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Apr 24 2005, 11:50 AM\']Now if you'll excuse me, it's time for Name That Fish.
[/quote]
Oh, I'm sorry.  The fish's name is Walter.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

digiblader

Choose Up Sides
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 09:45:05 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Apr 24 2005, 11:50 AM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 23 2005, 03:52 AM\']NO GS CONTENT WHATSOEVER: I was in Everett, WA today. :)
[/quote]
I bought the new volume of Garfield and Friends last Tuesday, the day it came out.

At first glance, you'd say that, too, had no gs content at all, but it includes the Orson's Farm (aka U.S. Acres) cartoon where Roy seeks out the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow only to stumble on an LMaD-type game show, complete with Rod Roddy as the announcer.  Veteran voice actor Neil Ross, late of GSN, is also featured in several episodes.

[snapback]83115[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah.. about that ep.. has this happened often on LMAD where someone ends up with the same item they started with(like when Roy started with a dirty sock and ended up with the same dirty sock?)

DjohnsonCB

Choose Up Sides
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 01:35:01 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' date=\'Apr 23 2005, 02:47 PM\']

If there's anything to be learned, it's that we should all stop and rethink our notions about some of these shows presumed "lost forever."
I didn't even know such a run with Bob Kennedy existed!

And did I remember to tape it? Of course not. D'oh!
I wonder if GSN'll finally bust out Missing Links one of these days...

--Jamie
[snapback]83045[/snapback]
[/quote]

I taped it if you're interested--but it's at SLP.  Still looks good to me though.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Pyramid80

Choose Up Sides
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005, 06:39:10 AM »
I just now caught Choose Up Sides this morning.  Was this the first episode with Gene Rayburn?

ilb4ever2000

Choose Up Sides
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 02:32:44 AM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'Apr 26 2005, 05:39 AM\']I just now caught Choose Up Sides this morning.  Was this the first episode with Gene Rayburn?
[snapback]83307[/snapback]
[/quote]

I believe it was.

PsychoJason

Choose Up Sides
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005, 03:55:31 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Apr 24 2005, 11:50 AM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 23 2005, 03:52 AM\']NO GS CONTENT WHATSOEVER: I was in Everett, WA today. :)
[/quote]

[snapback]83115[/snapback]
[/quote]

Or how about "Ring the Bell, and Win a Cookie"

Ding! You win a cookie!
Ding! You win another cookie!
Ding! You win another cookie!