Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of Jeopardy!?  (Read 3579 times)

geno57

Wheel of Jeopardy!?
« on: April 27, 2005, 12:36:49 PM »
Watching the Outrageous Game Show Moments special last night (4/26), I enjoyed the clip of the Australian version of Wheel of Fortune. But what's the deal with the quiz questions?

(I haven't seen an episode of the American version in a couple of years ... not since I attended the Nashville tapings, in fact. So we might be doing the same thing here, nowadays.)

zachhoran

Wheel of Jeopardy!?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 12:55:29 PM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' date=\'Apr 27 2005, 11:36 AM\']Watching the Outrageous Game Show Moments special last night (4/26), I enjoyed the clip of the Australian version of Wheel of Fortune. But what's the deal with the quiz questions?

(I haven't seen an episode of the American version in a couple of years ... not since I attended the Nashville tapings, in fact. So we might be doing the same thing here, nowadays.)
[snapback]83529[/snapback]
[/quote]

There is very occasionally on our WOF a surprise question asked after each puzzle. A cash bonus is awarded to a player who solves the puzzle if they can answer a question(sometimes asked by Pat, on a few occasions by Charlie O) related to the puzzle. It was more common in the 90s than it is today, however. This surprise question is not known about under after the puzzle is solved, unlike the "Clue" or "Who is It" or "Where are We" type of puzzles seen on the show.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Wheel of Jeopardy!?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 02:56:35 PM »
Those of you who have Zach ignored just missed a prime moment of him in action. Ugh.

Anyway, the Aussie version briefly used a general knowledge question - I believe when Tony Barber hosted - to determine control. But, since that guy wasn't Tony, I believe that clip came from the UK version. The question was asked simply to determine who spun first. (This was a rerun MOGSM, right?)

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

byrd62

Wheel of Jeopardy!?
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 03:03:38 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Apr 27 2005, 01:56 PM\']Those of you who have Zach ignored just missed a prime moment of him in action. Ugh.

Anyway, the Aussie version briefly used a general knowledge question - I believe when Tony Barber hosted - to determine control. But, since that guy wasn't Tony, I believe that clip came from the UK version. The question was asked simply to determine who spun first. (This was a rerun MOGSM, right?)

-Jason
[snapback]83538[/snapback]
[/quote]

There may be laws in countries like Britain and Australia, and probably Canada, that require anyone who wins anything to correctly answer a general-knowledge question.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 03:03:57 PM by byrd62 »

uncamark

Wheel of Jeopardy!?
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 03:09:24 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Apr 27 2005, 01:56 PM\']Those of you who have Zach ignored just missed a prime moment of him in action. Ugh.

[snapback]83538[/snapback]
[/quote]

The things I've seen have indicated that it's always been the case with the Australian version--they do a tossup question to determine who starts the first round rather than drawing numbers (in the old days) or a tossup puzzle (now).

The Canadian "skill testing question" requirement is for sweepstakes and mail-in/Internet contests, I believe.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Wheel of Jeopardy!?
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 04:03:31 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Apr 27 2005, 12:09 PM\']The Canadian "skill testing question" requirement is for sweepstakes and mail-in/Internet contests, I believe.
[/quote]
...and is usually neatly circumvented by asking the eventual winner to ascertain the sum of 2 and 2. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robert Hutchinson

Wheel of Jeopardy!?
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 06:17:17 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Apr 27 2005, 01:56 PM\']Those of you who have Zach ignored just missed a prime moment of him in action. Ugh.[/quote]

See, this just encourages me to look at the post, which is a bad thing.

(looks at post)

Aaaand I don't see what's wrong with it.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Wheel of Jeopardy!?
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 06:40:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Apr 27 2005, 05:17 PM\']Aaaand I don't see what's wrong with it.
[/quote]
What's wrong is the kind of "question" Mr. Horan raises has zero relevance to the question the original poster made.
.and is usually neatly circumvented by asking the eventual winner to ascertain the sum of 2 and 2. :)
I *did* see, on the back of some baseball cards or something, an actual equation.  Maybe they've managed to pass that 10th grade math. :)
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Robert Hutchinson

Wheel of Jeopardy!?
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 09:30:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Apr 27 2005, 05:40 PM\']What's wrong is the kind of "question" Mr. Horan raises has zero relevance to the question the original poster made.[/quote]

"Aussie Wheel has quiz questions? That's nuts. (Perhaps that's happening in the US now, though.)"

"Yes, it is, after a fashion. Here is a description."

Zero relevance. *boggle*

(*shuffle* *jumble*)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

sshuffield70

Wheel of Jeopardy!?
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 09:26:59 AM »
*boggle* *shuffle* *jumble*

Wink Martindale thanks you!