Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: On-air Pleas to Watch  (Read 3622 times)

Jimmy Owen

On-air Pleas to Watch
« on: April 26, 2005, 11:17:59 AM »
Allen Ludden in particular used to implore the audience to please keep watching the show lest the show go off the air.  "Whammy" also would run tongue-in-cheek promos with a forlorn Todd Newton warning "if you don't watch, the whammy will go away."  Were there other instances where a host would plead for an audience?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

cmjb13

On-air Pleas to Watch
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 11:37:44 AM »
I do recall Dick Clark telling viewers to call and tell a friend that Pyramid was back.

Although, I don't know if that was to keep the show around for a 2nd time.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

passwordplus

On-air Pleas to Watch
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 11:51:22 AM »
Maybe not a plea, but the last MDS TPIR special made Barker look like a real suck-up(just my opinion). He said that the viewers have made TPIR a success, and it wouldn't have made 33 seasons without them. I was really taken back by this, given some of the rif-raff that has been said about him in past years(re: not letting Rod be on camera, etc., yada yada yada)

cmjb13

On-air Pleas to Watch
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 12:05:33 PM »
[quote name=\'passwordplus\' date=\'Apr 26 2005, 11:51 AM\']Maybe not a plea, but the last MDS TPIR special made Barker look like a real suck-up(just my opinion). He said that the viewers have made TPIR a success, and it wouldn't have made 33 seasons without them. I was really taken back by this, given some of the rif-raff that has been said about him in past years(re: not letting Rod be on camera, etc., yada yada yada)
[snapback]83327[/snapback]
[/quote]
I think that had to do more with the theme of the show (looking back over 33 years) more than anything else.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
On-air Pleas to Watch
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 01:14:33 PM »
[quote name=\'passwordplus\' date=\'Apr 26 2005, 08:51 AM\']He said that the viewers have made TPIR a success, and it wouldn't have made 33 seasons without them.
[/quote]
Uh, what the hell is he GOING to say with a camera pointed at him? "If it wasn't for my immense talent, this show would have bombed in 1975. You jagoffs out there in TV Land don't have a thing to do with it."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

On-air Pleas to Watch
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 01:56:01 PM »
[quote name=\'passwordplus\' date=\'Apr 26 2005, 10:51 AM\']Maybe not a plea, but the last MDS TPIR special made Barker look like a real suck-up(just my opinion). He said that the viewers have made TPIR a success, and it wouldn't have made 33 seasons without them. I was really taken back by this, given some of the rif-raff that has been said about him in past years(re: not letting Rod be on camera, etc., yada yada yada)
[/quote]

But think about it...the show has been the #1 daytime game since the late-70s, granted it's been the only daytime game for 11 years now, it's still second (I think) only to Young and the Restless. I mean, the viewers have kept the show running, and besides, what do the viewers have to do with Bob's personal decisions?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
On-air Pleas to Watch
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 07:23:29 PM »
"If it wasn't for my immense talent, this show would have bombed in 1975. You jagoffs out there in TV Land don't have a thing to do with it."
Been eavesdropping on Barker's dressing room, have you?

Desperado

On-air Pleas to Watch
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 09:41:01 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 26 2005, 11:05 AM\'][quote name=\'passwordplus\' date=\'Apr 26 2005, 11:51 AM\']Maybe not a plea, but the last MDS TPIR special made Barker look like a real suck-up(just my opinion). He said that the viewers have made TPIR a success, and it wouldn't have made 33 seasons without them. I was really taken back by this, given some of the rif-raff that has been said about him in past years(re: not letting Rod be on camera, etc., yada yada yada)
[/quote]
I think that had to do more with the theme of the show (looking back over 33 years) more than anything else.
[snapback]83331[/snapback]
[/quote]
I think it had even more to do with having 30 seconds to fill at the end of the show...

calliaume

On-air Pleas to Watch
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 07:27:36 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Apr 26 2005, 06:23 PM\']Been eavesdropping on Barker's dressing room, have you?
[snapback]83405[/snapback]
[/quote]
I tried doing that once, but the WGMC sign fell on my head and knocked me out.

zachhoran

On-air Pleas to Watch
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 10:18:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Desperado\' date=\'Apr 26 2005, 08:41 PM\'][quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 26 2005, 11:05 AM\'][quote name=\'passwordplus\' date=\'Apr 26 2005, 11:51 AM\']Maybe not a plea, but the last MDS TPIR special made Barker look like a real suck-up(just my opinion). He said that the viewers have made TPIR a success, and it wouldn't have made 33 seasons without them. I was really taken back by this, given some of the rif-raff that has been said about him in past years(re: not letting Rod be on camera, etc., yada yada yada)
[/quote]
[snapback]83331[/snapback]
[/quote]
I think it had even more to do with having 30 seconds to fill at the end of the show...
[snapback]83445[/snapback]
[/quote]

The 30 seconds or so he used for this spiel were not at the end of this show. The spiel was done just before the 6th IUFB. His spiel at the end of the show, besides his usual pet population spiel, included how the Showcase winner became the biggest winner in TPIR history.

BrandonFG

On-air Pleas to Watch
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 03:50:39 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 27 2005, 09:18 AM\']The 30 seconds or so he used for this spiel were not at the end of this show. The spiel was done just before the 6th IUFB. His spiel at the end of the show, besides his usual pet population spiel, included how the Showcase winner became the biggest winner in TPIR history.
[snapback]83517[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think you're missing the point (what else is new?!).

All he was saying was that it was more or less used for filler time. Whenever the :30 spiel was done is irrelevant, or so it seems.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!