Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A ____ in his throat?  (Read 2607 times)

JMFabiano

A ____ in his throat?
« on: April 28, 2005, 11:40:23 PM »
When you have a whole bunch of TV-related memories, things tend to get mixed up some.  For some reason, I recall a Match Game episode where Gene worked with laryngitis, and was hoarse for the whole show.  Did this really happen?  Don't recall seeing it in GSN reruns, and they did go through the whole syndie run (which is where I most likely "saw" this).  Then again, a combination of remembering watching MG when I was young, and also watching The John Davidson Show at the time led to a mixed memory of *John Davidson* guest hosting MG (I bet Chris would LOVE that image...)
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

davemackey

A ____ in his throat?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 11:55:12 PM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Apr 28 2005, 11:40 PM\']When you have a whole bunch of TV-related memories, things tend to get mixed up some.  For some reason, I recall a Match Game episode where Gene worked with laryngitis, and was hoarse for the whole show.  Did this really happen?  Don't recall seeing it in GSN reruns, and they did go through the whole syndie run (which is where I most likely "saw" this).  Then again, a combination of remembering watching MG when I was young, and also watching The John Davidson Show at the time led to a mixed memory of *John Davidson* guest hosting MG (I bet Chris would LOVE that image...)
[snapback]83783[/snapback]
[/quote]
Gene did have a severe throat problem during a taping of "Match Game Hollywood Squares Hour". Maybe that's what you're thinking of? (Well, John Davidson did host Hollywood Squares... several years later.)

whewfan

A ____ in his throat?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 03:58:37 AM »
On one ep. of MG 77, Gene mentioned something about "having a frog in his throat", and he couldn't get rid of it. He didn't sound any different though.  He tried sucking a lemon on the air, and Richard made "ribbit" noises.

calliaume

A ____ in his throat?
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 07:40:15 AM »
With the amount of flying Gene did (and no doubt the air filtration systems in 1970s-era planes weren't very good), it's a wonder he didn't get sick more often.

Pat Sajak barrelled through a WoF taping a few years back despite throat issues - which led to one ep where he silently turned the letters for the bonus round while Vanna hosted.