Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Card Sharks Money Cards  (Read 2833 times)

SamJ93

Card Sharks Money Cards
« on: May 05, 2005, 10:20:10 AM »
For the '86 run and the tail end of the '78 run, was there any particular reason why CS mandated only one card change per row in the bonus game?  Obviously, it's good strategy to do so even if it wasn't a rule, but why not let the contestants decide their own fate?  Or was it to encourage more big wins?

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

zachhoran

Card Sharks Money Cards
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 10:27:13 AM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' date=\'May 5 2005, 09:20 AM\']For the '86 run and the tail end of the '78 run, was there any particular reason why CS mandated only one card change per row in the bonus game?  Obviously, it's good strategy to do so even if it wasn't a rule, but why not let the contestants decide their own fate?  Or was it to encourage more big wins?

--Sam
[snapback]84474[/snapback]
[/quote]

About six months into the NBC run, the rule changed from being able to change only the first base card to being able to change the base card on each level. I suspect that was done to encourage bigger wins, which probably is why also the no win/no loss "Push" rule went into effect in 1980 on the NBC run and continued for the CBS/Syndie runs(saw a few tough losses due to a double two or a double Ace at the Big Bet, for example). For the first four or five weeks of the CBS run, a contestant could change any three cards they wanted, whether they were on the same row, or it was the same card three times, or whatever. That led to a lot of Money Cards wins of $10K+ in the first month of the CBS run, so at that point they changed it to the more common change one card per line rule.

wschmrdr

Card Sharks Money Cards
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 02:29:50 PM »
I remember one time a couple weeks before the push rule, four 3's in a row came up! Before they went to commercial, they did a freeze shot of those four 3's.

From the 7th month of Perry CS until the end, it was ONLY the base card of the line. No "change anywhere on the line" thing.

What I probably woulda done is allowed 2 cards on the first 2 lines, and then save the 3rd for the big bet.