Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy  (Read 3481 times)

Ian Wallis

Jeopardy
« on: May 05, 2005, 09:00:32 AM »
It's been discussed before that for certain categories on "Jeopardy", the contestants are told to take them in order even if that isn't announced on the air.  I'm wondering exactly when the rule is used?  I always thought it would be in place if they had a category with all videotaped clues, but on the May 4 2005 episode, they had an ESPN category which was all videotaped clues, and a contestant started with the $1200 clue, and then went up - so they obviously weren't told to take them in order.

Anyone know exactly when that rule comes into play?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

Jeopardy
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 09:34:47 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'May 5 2005, 08:00 AM\']It's been discussed before that for certain categories on "Jeopardy", the contestants are told to take them in order even if that isn't announced on the air.  I'm wondering exactly when the rule is used?  I always thought it would be in place if they had a category with all videotaped clues, but on the May 4 2005 episode, they had an ESPN category which was all videotaped clues, and a contestant started with the $1200 clue, and then went up - so they obviously weren't told to take them in order.

[snapback]84464[/snapback]
[/quote]

When the category is something like "Take Em' In Order", as has been seen on one or two episodes. I don't ever recall a rule that someone had to take the categories in order, unless told beforehand, usually on the air. They do encourage people to take categories in order from top to bottom, but don't mandate it except in those rare circumstances.

mrchips

Jeopardy
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 11:16:55 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'May 5 2005, 08:00 AM\']It's been discussed before that for certain categories on "Jeopardy", the contestants are told to take them in order even if that isn't announced on the air.  I'm wondering exactly when the rule is used?
[/quote]
When the clues "build" on each other as we proceed from top to bottom, for one instance?

goongas

Jeopardy
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 11:40:27 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'May 5 2005, 08:00 AM\']It's been discussed before that for certain categories on "Jeopardy", the contestants are told to take them in order even if that isn't announced on the air.  I'm wondering exactly when the rule is used?  I always thought it would be in place if they had a category with all videotaped clues, but on the May 4 2005 episode, they had an ESPN category which was all videotaped clues, and a contestant started with the $1200 clue, and then went up - so they obviously weren't told to take them in order.

[/quote]

Someone on the J! board asked the same question, and the answer is in Round 2, they were told they could pick whatever order they wanted.  They probably finally sprung for a DVD player instead of using a VCR.

Matt Ottinger

Jeopardy
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 11:54:17 AM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'May 5 2005, 11:40 AM\']Someone on the J! board asked the same question, and the answer is in Round 2, they were told they could pick whatever order they wanted.  They probably finally sprung for a DVD player instead of using a VCR.[/quote]
Interesting.  I didn't read that, and I also didn't notice that the ESPN clues were scattered.  When I taped my episode last year, we had a category of photographic images from various wars, and we were told before the round started that we had to take those clues in order.  Even then, I was a little surprised that their technology wasn't advanced enough to handle that.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 11:54:36 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

mmb5

Jeopardy
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 02:18:46 PM »
Even odder was that in the first round game that had the ESPN category back in March, the players were told they had to take it in order.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Kevin Prather

Jeopardy
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 06:21:05 PM »
[quote name=\'mrchips\' date=\'May 5 2005, 08:16 AM\'][quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'May 5 2005, 08:00 AM\']It's been discussed before that for certain categories on "Jeopardy", the contestants are told to take them in order even if that isn't announced on the air.  I'm wondering exactly when the rule is used?
[/quote]
When the clues "build" on each other as we proceed from top to bottom, for one instance?
[snapback]84482[/snapback]
[/quote]

Such as the Raw-Ra-Sis-Boom-Bras category from a while back? (I'm still chuckling over that one.)

goongas

Jeopardy
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 11:23:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'May 5 2005, 10:54 AM\'][quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'May 5 2005, 11:40 AM\']Someone on the J! board asked the same question, and the answer is in Round 2, they were told they could pick whatever order they wanted.  They probably finally sprung for a DVD player instead of using a VCR.[/quote]
Interesting.  I didn't read that, and I also didn't notice that the ESPN clues were scattered.  When I taped my episode last year, we had a category of photographic images from various wars, and we were told before the round started that we had to take those clues in order.  Even then, I was a little surprised that their technology wasn't advanced enough to handle that.
[snapback]84485[/snapback]
[/quote]

I meant Round 2 of the UToC, not round 2 of the game.