Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bye, Gordon  (Read 12285 times)

The Pyramids

Bye, Gordon
« on: May 05, 2005, 09:54:56 PM »
As GSN moves into the second month of its remarkably improved line-up we are comming to an end of Gordon Elliott on 'To Tell the Truth.'

From the shows I saw I could tell he was a natural at it from the start. Did he host a Nineties 'Lets Make a Deal' pilot? Has he done anything else of note in America besides commercials for Glad trash bags?

BrandonFG

Bye, Gordon
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 10:04:55 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'May 5 2005, 08:54 PM\']As GSN moves into the second month of its remarkably improved line-up we are comming to an end of Gordon Elliott on 'To Tell the Truth.'

From the shows I saw I could tell he was a natural at it from the start. Did he host a Nineties 'Lets Make a Deal' pilot? Has he done anything else of note in America besides commercials for Glad trash bags?
[snapback]84542[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, there's also the Campbell's soup commercials. ;-)

He did do the LMAD pilot in 1999, but it didn't go to air, IIRC, it was because of lack of clearances in NY and/or LA. He also had a talk show in the mid-90s, and was one of the original reporters on "A Current Affair" (the original, not the current revival).

EDIT: Can't forget "It's Your Chance Of A Lifetime"...wait, I just did. ;-)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 10:05:53 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Pyramid80

Bye, Gordon
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 10:38:55 PM »
Glancing at the subject line, my heart sank.....I thought he had died or something.

aaron sica

Bye, Gordon
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 10:41:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'May 5 2005, 10:38 PM\']Glancing at the subject line, my heart sank.....I thought he had died or something.
[snapback]84551[/snapback]
[/quote]

TTTT, my first thought was Roscoe Orman - "Gordon" on SS...

CoreyArcher

• Pick a corner
Bye, Gordon
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 11:16:08 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'May 5 2005, 08:54 PM\']As GSN moves into the second month of its remarkably improved line-up we are comming to an end of Gordon Elliott on 'To Tell the Truth.'

[/quote]

He did a great job on "Door Knock Dinners" for the Food Network. Don't think they show it at all now, but that was a fairly recent show.

- ca -

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bye, Gordon
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 11:19:01 PM »
[quote name=\'CoreyArcher\' date=\'May 5 2005, 08:16 PM\']He did a great job on "Door Knock Dinners" for the Food Network. Don't think they show it at all now, but that was a fairly recent show.
[/quote]
They will often air his "Follow That Food", especially during theme weekends.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

davemackey

Bye, Gordon
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 06:38:03 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'May 5 2005, 10:41 PM\'][quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'May 5 2005, 10:38 PM\']Glancing at the subject line, my heart sank.....I thought he had died or something.
[snapback]84551[/snapback]
[/quote]

TTTT, my first thought was Roscoe Orman - "Gordon" on SS...
[snapback]84554[/snapback]
[/quote]
Well, the original Gordon, Matt Robinson, did pass a few years ago....

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Bye, Gordon
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 10:09:37 AM »
[/quote]
Don't we still have a couple more weeks before Swannie takes over?

Doug -- and the countdown to 1200 continues
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 10:09:55 AM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Pyramid80

Bye, Gordon
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 11:19:06 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'May 6 2005, 09:09 AM\'][quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'May 5 2005, 08:54 PM\']As GSN moves into the second month of its remarkably improved line-up we are comming to an end of Gordon Elliott on 'To Tell the Truth.'
[/quote]
Don't we still have a couple more weeks before Swannie takes over?

Doug -- and the countdown to 1200 continues
[snapback]84597[/snapback]
[/quote]
Looking at the episode guide that I found, looks like we have 3 more weeks before Lynn takes over.  Great to see that Steve Allen and Jayne Meadows should be on next week.

uncamark

Bye, Gordon
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 12:20:46 PM »
And Elliott did his "door knock" schtick on WNYW New York's "Good Day New York" and whatever CBS was calling its morning show in the 90s at various points in between his other gigs.

xibit777

Bye, Gordon
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2005, 12:42:43 PM »
Bye Gordon.  Today is the first day of Lynn Swan.   This kind of kills the show to me.   Although Gordon was odd, he was funny and entertaining.  I found today's show so boring and dull.

How much longer until Alex starts hosting?  I can't imagine he is any more interesting than Lynn though...  maybe someone can give some insight about how he is?

Jimmy Owen

Bye, Gordon
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 01:17:27 PM »
[quote name=\'xibit777\' date=\'May 30 2005, 11:42 AM\']Bye Gordon.  Today is the first day of Lynn Swan.   This kind of kills the show to me.   Although Gordon was odd, he was funny and entertaining.  I found today's show so boring and dull.

How much longer until Alex starts hosting?  I can't imagine he is any more interesting than Lynn though...  maybe someone can give some insight about how he is?
[snapback]87021[/snapback]
[/quote]

Lynn hosted for three months.  There isn't a whole lot of "wacky" from here on out.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Don Howard

Bye, Gordon
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 01:54:55 PM »
[quote name=\'xibit777\' date=\'May 30 2005, 11:42 AM\']Bye Gordon.  Today is the first day of Lynn Swan. This kind of kills the show to me. Although Gordon was odd, he was funny and entertaining. I found today's show so boring and dull.
[/quote]
Yep. We went from witty repartee with the panel to the following (soon to be heard almost verbatim on a subsequent Lynn Swann-hosted show):
LYNN: Kitty, how are you today?
KITTY: I'm fine.
LYNN: How about the rest of you?
ALL THREE MUMBLE: Fine.
LYNN: Good. All of you are doing fine.
By the way, gotta love the way he says, "Please! Read along with me". Just oozes.
You'll notice he squeezes his left breast after Burton introduces him. Guess that gives him that extra jolt of vim since Red Bull hadn't been invented yet.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 01:56:18 PM by Don Howard »

tvwxman

Bye, Gordon
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2005, 03:10:30 PM »
[quote name=\'xibit777\' date=\'May 30 2005, 11:42 AM\']Bye Gordon.  Today is the first day of Lynn Swan.   This kind of kills the show to me.   Although Gordon was odd, he was funny and entertaining.  I found today's show so boring and dull.
[/quote]

Agreed....Lynn lacked what Gordon had....pizazz....Lynn destroyed the momentum of one of the better revivals in GS History.

I'm of the opinion that had Gordon survived the "Get the Picture" lawsuit, not only would TTTT have lasted longer, but we would have seen Gordon establish himself on other game shows.... The New York Post page six column reported back then that the injunction was set to keep Elliot off of hosting game shows for 5 years. A Shame we didn't get to see him more often!
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

The Pyramids

Bye, Gordon
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2005, 03:37:10 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'May 30 2005, 02:10 PM\'][quote name=\'xibit777\' date=\'May 30 2005, 11:42 AM\']Bye Gordon.  Today is the first day of Lynn Swan.   This kind of kills the show to me.   Although Gordon was odd, he was funny and entertaining.  I found today's show so boring and dull.
[/quote]

Agreed....Lynn lacked what Gordon had....pizazz....Lynn destroyed the momentum of one of the better revivals in GS History.

I'm of the opinion that had Gordon survived the "Get the Picture" lawsuit, not only would TTTT have lasted longer, but we would have seen Gordon establish himself on other game shows.... The New York Post page six column reported back then that the injunction was set to keep Elliot off of hosting game shows for 5 years. A Shame we didn't get to see him more often!
[snapback]87048[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, maybe a longer run for 'Truth' could have kept the medium on the networks a little longer. I could easily see Gordon standing behind a 'Password' podium at some point.