Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Greed Alert  (Read 8102 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN Greed Alert
« on: May 19, 2005, 07:02:53 PM »
Today's Greed is the episode where Dan Avila's lifetime of humiliation begins...he's about to bomb the $2 Million question.

(Oh, like you didn't know.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN Greed Alert
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 07:29:48 PM »
And now I'm going to do something that even surprises me. I'm going to defend Dan Avila.

With the influx of poker shows on TV, we've all learned something about "pot odds". In laymans terms, that means, when faced with a decision, you compare the percentage of the time you will win the hand based on what you can see (your own hole cards and the board) with the percentage of the money in the pot that was once in your chip stack. When the winning percentage is higher than your contribution to the pot, all other aspects aside, you stay in the hand.

So let's translate this to Greed terms: Avila risked $200,000 for a shot at $2.2 million, and was faced with picking four right answers from nine. As a rule, in any given Greed question, you can usually plunk out three of the four right answers pretty easily...it's that's fourth one where you make your money. So essentially Dan had to think he was facing a 1 in 6 chance at WORST, and that's assuming that after plucking out those three there weren't any answers he could quickly dismiss as idiotic.

(I realize that assuming three of four right answers are gimmies is a BIT of a stretch, but I'm trying to understand his reasoning here. It seems plausible.)

So:

Dan's pot odds: $200,000 to win $2,200,000, or just a hair over 9%.
Odds of bald-faced guessing one right answer from six: a hair under 17%.

So in poker terms, it made sense. Me, I woulda taken the money and run, but nobody ever accused me of being a great poker player. :)

(I also would have SO missed the question: no WAY would I have picked "chocolate" OR "peanut butter".)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

GSN Greed Alert
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 08:10:51 PM »
Having met Dan, and from stories I've heard and read about him, I get the distinct impression that the rest of us have made a much bigger deal about his loss than he ever will.  Your poker analogy is valid, if a little convoluted.  Simply put, he had a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to win two million dollars playing a guessing game on TV, and he took the chance.  He's a guy who loves to play these games, and I'm almost certain that if he'd kept the money and not gone for it, he'd probably regret that even more.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Don Howard

GSN Greed Alert
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 08:59:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'May 19 2005, 07:10 PM\']Having met Dan, and from stories I've heard and read about him, I get the distinct impression that the rest of us have made a much bigger deal about his loss than he ever will. 
[snapback]85852[/snapback]
[/quote]
I got the same impression when I met him last summer at GS Mecca.
As he and I met, I said to him, "My favorite bridesmaid!!". Great guy. Non-chalant, matter of fact. Phyllis Harris also. Just a bunch of terrific human beings who have jobs and families and are big fans of our favorite genre. Hope you all get the chance to be with us this August. It'll be time well spent. And this year it kicks off on my birthday.

jdhernandez

GSN Greed Alert
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 04:17:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'May 19 2005, 07:59 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'May 19 2005, 07:10 PM\']Having met Dan, and from stories I've heard and read about him, I get the distinct impression that the rest of us have made a much bigger deal about his loss than he ever will. 
[snapback]85852[/snapback]
[/quote]
I got the same impression when I met him last summer at GS Mecca.
As he and I met, I said to him, "My favorite bridesmaid!!". Great guy. Non-chalant, matter of fact. Phyllis Harris also. Just a bunch of terrific human beings who have jobs and families and are big fans of our favorite genre. Hope you all get the chance to be with us this August. It'll be time well spent. And this year it kicks off on my birthday.
[snapback]85854[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'll add my kudos, except I first met him when Millionaire Play It was still going on at DCA. Yeah, he's very calm and cool, and was an excellent player every time he got up in that Hot Seat. As a matter of fact, I think Joey Numbers was there, also, when he got up to the 14th question! I guess all that practice at the Disneyland stage version finally paid off for him!

I think he'd rather take the $100,000 over a polo shirt....which he probably has a ton of from the games. I have 'em in both colours, too. ;-D
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.

joshg

GSN Greed Alert
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 06:33:22 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'May 19 2005, 04:59 PM\'] Hope you all get the chance to be with us this August. It'll be time well spent. And this year it kicks off on my birthday.
[snapback]85854[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'll start saving my nickels for birthday cake...

Hey look... Bob Eubanks!
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

cmjb13

GSN Greed Alert
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 09:48:52 AM »
Has Larry Toffler's appearance ever aired on GSN?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

zachhoran

GSN Greed Alert
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 09:59:22 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'May 20 2005, 08:48 AM\']Has Larry Toffler's appearance ever aired on GSN?
[snapback]85893[/snapback]
[/quote]

He was on the 3/7/2000 episode of Greed(That 70's Greed episode), as per a summary of that episode done in ATGS. Assuming it was an hour long episode, and the length of the summary seems to indicate it was, then it has aired on GSN. There was one half-hour Greed episode GSN has never shown, correct?

cmjb13

GSN Greed Alert
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 10:05:26 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'May 20 2005, 09:59 AM\'][quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'May 20 2005, 08:48 AM\']Has Larry Toffler's appearance ever aired on GSN?
[/quote]

He was on the 3/7/2000 episode of Greed(That 70's Greed episode), as per a summary of that episode done in ATGS. Assuming it was an hour long episode, and the length of the summary seems to indicate it was, then it has aired on GSN. There was one half-hour Greed episode GSN has never shown, correct?
[snapback]85895[/snapback]
[/quote]
Does anyone know where we are in the run now?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

zachhoran

GSN Greed Alert
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 10:29:35 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'May 20 2005, 09:05 AM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'May 20 2005, 09:59 AM\'][quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'May 20 2005, 08:48 AM\']Has Larry Toffler's appearance ever aired on GSN?
[/quote]

[/quote]
[snapback]85897[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yesterday's 7PM airing was the Dan Avila $2.2 Million loss episode, that was from November 1999.

uncamark

GSN Greed Alert
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 04:38:30 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'May 20 2005, 09:29 AM\'][quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'May 20 2005, 09:05 AM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'May 20 2005, 09:59 AM\'][quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'May 20 2005, 08:48 AM\']Has Larry Toffler's appearance ever aired on GSN?
[/quote]

[/quote]
[snapback]85897[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yesterday's 7PM airing was the Dan Avila $2.2 Million loss episode, that was from November 1999.
[snapback]85899[/snapback]
[/quote]

Which means we're near the beginning of the run (poor "Greed"--their biggest moment was at the start and they couldn't match it again).

sshuffield70

GSN Greed Alert
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 08:37:54 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'May 20 2005, 08:59 AM\'][quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'May 20 2005, 08:48 AM\']Has Larry Toffler's appearance ever aired on GSN?
[/quote]

[/quote]

AFAIK, the "70s Greed" has never aired.  The hour long straddled into the following 1/2 hour.  On the second show, the team ended the show taking the money.  That's why these two have not aired to my knowledge.

Don Howard

GSN Greed Alert
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2005, 09:34:20 PM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'May 20 2005, 05:33 AM\']Hey look... Bob Eubanks!
[snapback]85875[/snapback]
[/quote]
This I wonder. Is it possible that Bob saw the gang out there, figured out what was going on and thought to himself as he walked briskly past, "Dear God, don't let them see me"?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 09:34:40 PM by Don Howard »

joshg

GSN Greed Alert
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2005, 03:06:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'May 20 2005, 05:34 PM\'][quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'May 20 2005, 05:33 AM\']Hey look... Bob Eubanks!
[snapback]85875[/snapback]
[/quote]
This I wonder. Is it possible that Bob saw the gang out there, figured out what was going on and thought to himself as he walked briskly past, "Dear God, don't let them see me"?
[snapback]85956[/snapback]
[/quote]

He was asking for it by walking by grown men making 'doot doot doot' sounds. Besides, I'm pretty sure he was prepared to chat about 'All Star Secrets' if stopped...
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

Don Howard

GSN Greed Alert
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2005, 10:44:31 AM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'May 21 2005, 02:06 AM\']He was asking for it by walking by grown men making 'doot doot doot' sounds.
[snapback]85985[/snapback]
[/quote]
Ah, yes. I had mentally blocked out the "doot doot doot"ing. I remember now that's what sent me to the restroom in the first place.