Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Retired Showcase "Themes"  (Read 6475 times)

TimK2003

Retired Showcase "Themes"
« on: May 07, 2005, 08:50:31 PM »
This one might be a toughy...

How many themed Showcases have been retired?

What I am meaning to say is that there have been recurring showcases over the years (i.e. The Price Is Right Elevator is a classic example).  Some of those thematic showcases are not being done anymore, for whatever reason.

Obviously some were retired due to the specific announcer's death (Rappin Rod, Johnny O as the Mad Scientist where showcase prizes came out of his crazy machine). I'm looking to see how many generic recurring showcase themes have been shelved?

Two that I can think of:

"Every Room In The House" -- The doors would open to a backlit outline of a two-tiered house and then they would show the prize in each "room".

"The Time Capsule" -- This may still be around as a modified verison, but I haven't seen it for a while.  The original Time Capsule always used the "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" theme by Meco, which hit the Top 40 charts in the 70's.  The models, dressed in futuristic spacesuits would hit the button next to the rectangular 'pod' and the doors would open vertically to reveal the prize.

Any others????
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 08:52:52 PM by TimK2003 »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 08:58:33 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'May 7 2005, 07:50 PM\']"Every Room In The House" -- The doors would open to a backlit outline of a two-tiered house and then they would show the prize in each "room".
[snapback]84703[/snapback]
[/quote]
Taking a quick glance at G-R.net, the "Every Room In The House" theme has been used a number of times recently (most recently on the 4/8/05 show).  I didn't see that ep and couldn't tell you whether the backlit outline was used or not, but the theme does remain active.

Doug -- and the countdown to 1200 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

aaron sica

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 09:03:31 PM »
When is the last time these two have been used?

"Crossword Puzzle" and "Price is Right Department Store".

zachhoran

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 09:07:26 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'May 7 2005, 07:50 PM\']This one might be a toughy...

How many themed Showcases have been retired?

What I am meaning to say is that there have been recurring showcases over the years (i.e. The Price Is Right Elevator is a classic example).  Some of those thematic showcases are not being done anymore, for whatever reason.

Obviously some were retired due to the specific announcer's death (Rappin Rod, Johnny O as the Mad Scientist where showcase prizes came out of his crazy machine). I'm looking to see how many generic recurring showcase themes have been shelved?

[snapback]84703[/snapback]
[/quote]

Rappin Rod was retired quite a few years before Rod died. The Elevator showcase reappeared this season after taking a hiatus of a good 15 years.

Add to the MIA showcase themes: TPIR Crossword puzzle, TPIR Cheerleaders(with pom poms given to everyone in the audience to assist in the cheers), TPIR Anagrams.

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 09:11:03 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'May 7 2005, 08:03 PM\']When is the last time these two have been used?

"Crossword Puzzle" and "Price is Right Department Store".
[snapback]84706[/snapback]
[/quote]

If the TPIR Department Store showcase refers to the one with the elevators, it has been bought back this season. Crosswords haven't been seen since the 80s. Ditto TPIR Anagrams.

cmjb13

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 09:21:02 PM »
I suggested to bring back the Time Capsule showcase. It might happen.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 09:30:20 PM »
They've actually done the Cheerleaders showcase once in the last few years...it was on what I think was supposed to be the first Million Dollar Spectacular back in Season 31.  (It was the second one that they aired.)

One from the '90s that I really miss -- and that no one else ever brings up -- was called something like "The Ritzy Hills Garbage Truck."  The prizes were the ridiculously valuable "trash" that the millionaires of Ritzy Hills were throwing away.  Haven't seen that one in a good many years.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 09:37:41 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'May 7 2005, 07:58 PM\']I didn't see that ep and couldn't tell you whether the backlit outline was used or not, but the theme does remain active.
[snapback]84704[/snapback]
[/quote]

They still use it.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

wxfrcaster

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 12:39:16 AM »
I actually used to like the "Salute to that Great American Entertainer...." showcase, with "That's Entertainment" in the background.  But since those showcases seemed to be 3 or 4 minutes long, I doubt we would ever seen anything like that again.

tvrandywest

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005, 01:32:49 AM »
If you've read my website you know I was entrusted with all the memorabilia that Johnny Olson saved during his long, long career. Among John's stuff: The original scripts from his favorite TPiR themed showcases that he appeared in.

The "Flakey Flicks" were incredible - wonderfully written spoofs of famous movies. TV shows got similar treatment. Each carried a twisted title. This thread motivated me to look through a few:

"Star Wreck", "Socky", "The Frank Connection", "The Crawltons", "The Halfback of Notre Dame", "The Maltese Mustang", "Casa Planta", "The Phantom of the Warehouse", "Phoney Girl", "Yawn Patrol", "The Theif of Grabbag", "King Solomon's Wines", "The One Musketeer", "The Creature From The Redwood Hottub", "Citizen Pain", "Coldfinger".... you get the idea. Brilliant satires.

The members of the TPiR family were also in "Johnny's Schoolhouse", "The Continental - Giovanni Olsano", Maestro Mismash", "Fumble Fingers", "Dear Jan", Dr. Jan", etc..

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 01:33:36 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

dizzy

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2005, 02:27:22 AM »
Well one of the Showcase themes that I like is the one where they parody various game shows.

"Let's make a Meal"- A room full of kitchen appliances
"Reel of Fortune" - Various home Movie Video equipment.
"Bassword" - All kinds of Fishing Equipment
"Yard Sharks" - Outdoor Exercise Equipment

You get the idea. That's a cool themed Showcase. My classic favorite though would be the Department store Elevator. I've always liked that one.

Dizzy

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2005, 03:31:12 AM »
The Time Capsule showcase was my favorite themed showcase simply because of the Meco theme.  Even better if a contestant won that showcase, that theme would be used at the end of the show instead of the main theme.  I doubt if they do that anymore.

Another themed showcase I liked was where they had a Time Machine(not to be confused with the Time Capsule) where certain historical events had prized tied to them.  I remember seeing that quite often in the 70's syndicated version.  That one's gone I guess.

Another intresting one from the 90's that I haven't seen in a while is where they show addresses to "fake" web sites.  I wonder if they still do that.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2005, 05:59:40 AM »
Another showcase theme was the Pirates and their buried treasure, which would start out with a trip to the place where the Pirates was burying their treasure, then a succession of prizes. One particular incident comes to mind, as they used a flat painted to look like a boat behind door #2 that the prizes would roll out of onto the stage, was a sailboat being rolled out-- the front of the trailer caught and busted a light on the border of door #2! Haha.

JayDLewis

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2005, 09:39:23 AM »
TPiR Warehouse
The models as babies in a daycare
Handshadows
TPiR Family Tree
Priceless Websites
Famous/Strange License Plates

On a related note, it was neat that they created a 'Port O Price' showcase ala the TPiR Train Station.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 09:40:52 AM by JayDLewis »
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

WhammyPower

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2005, 09:55:06 AM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' date=\'May 8 2005, 08:39 AM\']On a related note, it was neat that they created a 'Port O Price' showcase ala the TPiR Train Station.
[snapback]84737[/snapback]
[/quote]
Sounds like a showcase for Triumph to poop on.