Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Low level prizes and Parting Gifts  (Read 9898 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Low level prizes and Parting Gifts
« on: May 10, 2005, 03:30:47 AM »
Of all the odd "cheap" prizes and parting gifts...is there anything that stands out in your mind that you would want?  A candy dish from Wheel?  That giant box of Creamettes?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 04:20:11 AM »
As far as "cheap" goes, if I was old enough to drive(wich I wasn't), I'd take the 1,000 gallons of gas(about $350 back in the early 70's) from LMAD.  With gas prices as is now, that'll sure come in handy today.

dizzy

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 04:35:46 AM »
I'll take the Turtle Wax. At least that's something I could actually use and appreciate.

Dizzy

davemackey

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 06:13:41 AM »
Unfortunately, "parting gifts" seem to be a thing of the past, except on "The Price Is Right". You lose on other shows, you seem to get bupkiss now, which explains why all the plugs have been changed to "promotional consideration" items, most of which don't make for attractive game show prizes (medicinals, GEICO insurance, etc.)

Too bad you can't really see the parting gifts they used to give away on the Rafferty "Blockbusters" because of squeezed credits - they gave away some really nice stuff to their players like scanners.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 08:43:41 AM »
I'd take a copy of the home game....since I didn't buy as many as I should have when they were generally available.  :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 09:00:37 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'May 10 2005, 05:13 AM\']Unfortunately, "parting gifts" seem to be a thing of the past, except on "The Price Is Right". You lose on other shows, you seem to get bupkiss now, which explains why all the plugs have been changed to "promotional consideration" items, most of which don't make for attractive game show prizes (medicinals, GEICO insurance, etc.)

Too bad you can't really see the parting gifts they used to give away on the Rafferty "Blockbusters" because of squeezed credits - they gave away some really nice stuff to their players like scanners.
[snapback]84878[/snapback]
[/quote]

And TPIR's plugs nearly always include the infamous Invention Submission Corporation nowadays. I give credit to Balderdash and On the Cover for having one fee plug at the end of some shows. WOF now gives $500 in cash as the consolation prize. What do players get when they win zip on Feud or Millionaire these days, however?

MCArroyo1

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 10:49:51 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'May 10 2005, 09:00 AM\']What do players get when they win zip on Feud or Millionaire these days, however?
[snapback]84884[/snapback]
[/quote]
Well, define "zip."  :-)

Mike Tennant

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 11:38:20 AM »
[quote name=\'MCArroyo1\' date=\'May 10 2005, 09:49 AM\']Well, define "zip."  :-)
[snapback]84897[/snapback]
[/quote]
Sounds like Bill Clinton appearing before a grand jury.

uncamark

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 12:04:45 PM »
I would be more happy than the $500 cash "Wheel" now gives as a consolation (and the $1,000 or $2,000 runner-up prizes on "J!") than any consolation prizes, if you ask me.

(And unless it was the last round, you didn't have to take that candy dish or ceramic dalmation--you could've put the rest of the money On Account.)

If it was back then and I had those cases of food to deal with, I probably would've donated them to a homeless shelter or a halfway house and taken the tax write-off.  (Which I would guess other contestants did.)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 01:28:52 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'May 10 2005, 09:00 AM\']And TPIR's plugs nearly always include the infamous Invention Submission Corporation nowadays.
[/quote]

Actually, Zach, it's InventHelp now, but I digress.

When Wheel and Jeopardy started giving out cash as consolation prizes (and even when H2 was doing it for as long as they were), I thought that was better than the low end-medium end parting gifts some of these shows were giving out. The way I see it, that way you can buy your OWN damn parting gifts, and don't have to worry about what you're gonna do with that supply of Rice-A-Roni (how many times can you eat that in a year before going crazy?).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Clay Zambo

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 02:21:57 PM »
Two words: Ceramic Dalmatian.
czambo@mac.com

Don Howard

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 02:41:48 PM »
I'd go for some boxes of Rice-A-Roni, that quick and easy side dish that sautees and simmers your taste to flavor perfection. Rice-A-Roni! The San Francisco treat.

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 05:00:02 PM »
The Lee Press-On Nails and L'eggs pantyhose. Comes in handy for Halloween or Rocky Horror Picture Show night. That, or a Bed Bath and Beyond gift card.

Seriously, like Karlberg said, the 1,000 gallons of gas would be nice. Possibly the KFC gifts that 80s Pyramid and PYL used to offer.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

vtown7

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 07:50:12 PM »
On the game show that I did on the radio, we gave away RiceARoni as the parting gift - people appreciated the nod to their game show watching days of yore.

Besides, when you're on a tight budget, some of the prize money needs to come out of the pockets of the host...

Ryan :)

zachhoran

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 09:58:36 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'May 10 2005, 12:28 PM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'May 10 2005, 09:00 AM\']And TPIR's plugs nearly always include the infamous Invention Submission Corporation nowadays.
[/quote]

Actually, Zach, it's InventHelp now, but I digress.

[snapback]84929[/snapback]
[/quote]

I've seen some plugs where it's still known as ISC, and some as Inventhelp.

Also, when Kleenex is plugged after an IUFB, as opposed to "a supply of", it is "a cash award from" when Kleenex is the item plugged after the IUFB. I assume a winner of a Kleenex-sponsored IUFB wins $40 in cash rather than coupons for products.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 10:00:05 PM by zachhoran »