Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rolf Benirschke  (Read 7013 times)

dizzy

Rolf Benirschke
« on: May 11, 2005, 03:01:52 AM »
I never understood this one. Did Merv lose a bet during a night of heavy drinking? This may go down in history as the worst choice for game show host ever.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0076925/bio

Dizzy

Johnissoevil

Rolf Benirschke
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 03:06:15 AM »
[quote name=\'dizzy\' date=\'May 11 2005, 03:01 AM\']I never understood this one. Did Merv lose a bet during a night of heavy drinking? This may go down in history as the worst choice for game show host ever.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0076925/bio

Dizzy
[snapback]85004[/snapback]
[/quote]

From what Rolf said on the E! THS about WOF, he didn't receive the proper training to host.  Had he been trained a bit better and told all of the procedures, then he might have had a chance to be better.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Rolf Benirschke
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 03:27:23 AM »
[quote name=\'dizzy\' date=\'May 11 2005, 02:01 AM\']I never understood this one. Did Merv lose a bet during a night of heavy drinking? This may go down in history as the worst choice for game show host ever.
[/quote]
I don't think he did that badly.  There's quite a few emcees whom I think did a poorer job:
Patrick Wayne
Bert Convy
Bob Eubanks [on Card Sharks]
JD Roberto
Billy Bush

While Rolf wasn't the best emcee, he wasn't annoying, over the top, or pompous.  The joke about "heavy drinking" is something else, but I'll leave it at that.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

johnnya2k3

Rolf Benirschke
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 03:48:44 AM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' date=\'May 10 2005, 11:06 PM\']From what Rolf said on the E! THS about WOF, he didn't receive the proper training to host.  Had he been trained a bit better and told all of the procedures, then he might have had a chance to be better.
[snapback]85005[/snapback]
[/quote]
And also, he only watched WOF in snippets, not whole episodes from beginning to end unlike Jimmy Connors (who ALMOST got the daytime Wheel gig before NBC thought of a different way to use him). At least Mark Goodson didn't make that same mistake about hiring Joe Namath for Family Feud before settling with Ray Combs.

Jonathan Allen

dizzy

Rolf Benirschke
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 05:14:53 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'May 11 2005, 02:27 AM\'][quote name=\'dizzy\' date=\'May 11 2005, 02:01 AM\']I never understood this one. Did Merv lose a bet during a night of heavy drinking? This may go down in history as the worst choice for game show host ever.
[/quote]
I don't think he did that badly.  There's quite a few emcees whom I think did a poorer job:
Patrick Wayne
Bert Convy
Bob Eubanks [on Card Sharks]
JD Roberto
Billy Bush

While Rolf wasn't the best emcee, he wasn't annoying, over the top, or pompous.  The joke about "heavy drinking" is something else, but I'll leave it at that.
[snapback]85006[/snapback]
[/quote]

You really think he was a better host than Bert Convy and Bob Eubanks? I've got to believe that you are in the minority on that one.

Dizzy

Don Howard

Rolf Benirschke
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 08:31:39 AM »
Blake Emmons would've been better. As would Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen.

Ian Wallis

Rolf Benirschke
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 09:02:52 AM »
I think Bert Convy was a good host for the shows he did.  You look at people like Patrick Wayne - or even Richard Karn for that matter - and it just doesn't flow naturally - it seems much too forced.  Bert seemed to have an ability to keep it moving and look like it was natural.

As for Rolf, I kind of agree - what WAS Merv thinking?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

MCArroyo1

Rolf Benirschke
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 10:08:00 AM »
Funny... I thought the pacing was awful on almost all of Bert's shows.  Too slow, and I don't think he did much at all to keep it moving.  He always seemed as if he'd rather end the game and just chat.

Of course, Rolf wasn't any Bill Cullen either.

zachhoran

Rolf Benirschke
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 10:18:48 AM »
[quote name=\'MCArroyo1\' date=\'May 11 2005, 09:08 AM\']Funny... I thought the pacing was awful on almost all of Bert's shows.  Too slow, and I don't think he did much at all to keep it moving.  He always seemed as if he'd rather end the game and just chat.

Of course, Rolf wasn't any Bill Cullen either.
[snapback]85032[/snapback]
[/quote]

Bert was better suited for shows that were meant to be self-contained, like WLOD or Tattletales. The show he slowed down most with his banter seemed to be the straddling SP. They would usually get four or five puzzles/endgames on SP, versus six or seven on P+.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Rolf Benirschke
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 12:02:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'May 11 2005, 03:27 AM\']I don't think he did that badly.  There's quite a few emcees whom I think did a poorer job:

Bert Convy

[snapback]85006[/snapback]
[/quote]

Uh, wrong, Odor. Sorry, thanks for playing.

Paging Joe Raygor...paging Joe Raygor...
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Rolf Benirschke
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 02:19:46 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'May 11 2005, 11:02 AM\']Uh, wrong, Odor. Sorry, thanks for playing.

[snapback]85038[/snapback]
[/quote]
My name is Mark, not Odor. I though Bert lost control of his shows much too often, and as someone else alluded to, he'd rather talk.

Thanks for playing, now, Charlie Tuna, what do we have for our departing contestant?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 02:37:53 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

PYLdude

Rolf Benirschke
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 03:29:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'May 11 2005, 02:19 PM\']My name is Mark, not Odor. I though Bert lost control of his shows much too often, and as someone else alluded to, he'd rather talk.
[snapback]85055[/snapback]
[/quote]

Two things.

1)Your last name is Odor, so there.

2)Regardless of whether or not Bert didn't have what you consider to be decent hosting skills, it's a CRIME to lump him in the same group as Mr. "You WIIIIIIIIIIIN!" Hang your head in shame.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 03:30:04 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Rolf Benirschke
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 03:44:04 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'May 11 2005, 12:29 PM\']1)Your last name is Odor, so there.
[/quote]
And he's said MANY times on this forum that he wishes to be called "Mark." Too bad you can't respect that.
2)Regardless of whether or not Bert didn't have what you consider to be decent hosting skills, it's a CRIME to lump him in the same group as Mr. "You WIIIIIIIIIIIN!" Hang your head in shame.
Why? Even though he wasn't as annoying as Wayne, if he couldn't move along his show and spent all the time talking, he was just as incompetent.

If you're going to claim the right to an opinion, you'd better extend that same right to other people, too, even though it's an opinion you might not like.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 03:50:47 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dzinkin

Rolf Benirschke
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 03:52:21 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'May 11 2005, 03:29 PM\']2)Regardless of whether or not Bert didn't have what you consider to be decent hosting skills, it's a CRIME to lump him in the same group as Mr. "You WIIIIIIIIIIIN!" Hang your head in shame.
[snapback]85063[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm guessing that the penalty for this "crime" is about the same as the one for "illegally" erasing tapes.

PYLdude

Rolf Benirschke
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2005, 05:21:46 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 11 2005, 03:44 PM\'][quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'May 11 2005, 12:29 PM\']1)Your last name is Odor, so there.
[/quote]
And he's said MANY times on this forum that he wishes to be called "Mark." Too bad you can't respect that.[/quote]

I never said I couldn't respect that. I know he prefers to be called by his first name. What I can't respect is the fact that he disrespects a lot of people here, and in some cases it's a lot worse than just calling someone by their last name or omitting a letter in someone's user name (not saying he did that).

Even though he wasn't as annoying as Wayne, if he couldn't move along his show and spent all the time talking, he was just as incompetent.

I get the point and I respect it, but I can't consider anyone to be in the same incomptence league as Patrick Wayne. Maybe Convy is there (I don't think he is), and we know Roberto and a couple others are there as well, but Patrick Wayne is King Dunce in my book, hands down. Nobody compares.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 05:25:27 PM by PYLdude »