Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: David Schwartz / Game Show Article  (Read 2767 times)

bricon

David Schwartz / Game Show Article
« on: May 13, 2005, 04:15:03 PM »
A nice piece by sports media columnist Tom Hoffarth in today's Daily News (Los Angeles), featuring Mr. Schwartz, can be found here.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 05:24:37 PM »
Good to hear the Vin Scully shows are still extant.  Where do I apply for the assistant archivist job?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

davemackey

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 05:56:52 PM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'May 13 2005, 04:15 PM\']A nice piece by sports media columnist Tom Hoffarth in today's Daily News (Los Angeles), featuring Mr. Schwartz, can be found here.
[snapback]85375[/snapback]
[/quote]
Schwartz has one of the best jobs in the world. I do agree with him on the point that you couldn't do a Don Drysdale on "To Tell The Truth" today - athletes back then were just names in newspaper boxscores, or intoned by the likes of Red Barber or Mel Allen on the radio.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 07:13:09 PM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'May 13 2005, 03:15 PM\']A nice piece by sports media columnist Tom Hoffarth in today's Daily News (Los Angeles), featuring Mr. Schwartz, can be found here.
[snapback]85375[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'll second the "nice article" emotion, but I must admit I got a kick out of Steve "Psycho" Lyons' blunder.

Doug -- and the countdown to 1200 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 11:47:40 PM »
I was also relieved to see that all editions of "The Vin Scully Show" still exist somewhere.  If only some sports-related cable channel would put these on.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 11:53:44 AM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'May 13 2005, 11:47 PM\']I was also relieved to see that all editions of "The Vin Scully Show" still exist somewhere.  If only some sports-related cable channel would put these on.[/quote]
I'm old enough to have vague memories of it (mostly, I remember that it wasn't a game show, and was therefore taking up a half hour in the morning that could have gone to one).  My memory is that it wasn't really much of a sports show at all, more of a general celebrity-driven talk show.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.