Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The eternal debate...  (Read 11293 times)

sshuffield70

The eternal debate...
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2005, 10:15:18 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 12 2005, 08:21 PM\'][quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'May 12 2005, 06:19 PM\']Well, the 20 can be changed to a more amenable number.  I just didn't want to leave it at 5.  10 perhaps?
[/quote]
10K seems reasonable. If it's good enough for Dick Clark in the Pyramid, it's good enough for me. :)
[snapback]85301[/snapback]
[/quote]

Works for me!  Was the rest of it any good?  (And for the record, the highest score for any run through is 3050.)

14gameshows

The eternal debate...
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2005, 09:38:59 AM »
hmmm, the only thing I did with my proposal was multiply SP's money amounts by 5.  

As far as the $500 a word for the end game, heck H2 did it with the keys.  Capture a square and won $500, although the first bonus prize was $10,000.  I do see the point about awarding 45% of the top prize for not getting all ten but getting nine words correct though...$250 to please the multitudes then.

Personally $2500 to win the game is low and reasonable, compared to hmmm, hitting $5000 on Wheel and calling the right letter and there be 6 in the puzzle, that's $30,000 right there.  You talk about a prize budget, Wheel..granted it's the no. 1 show in syndication and they have the money, that is one show that gives just too much money.  

Think about it, $5000 budgeted for the front game, $10,000 for the End game, let's say $1500 (on average) for the prize in "Prizeword", and maybe an extra puzzle at the end of the show at only $500...that equals on $17,000 for a show.  Today's version of Family Feud has a top prize of $20,000.  Hmmm, a $3000 difference.

You won't please all.  Oh well, enough of the quibbling about prize budgets and MMS, and all this other mess, unless Fremantle has thoughts about reviving this show, we can only wonder.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 09:45:04 AM by 14gameshows »

Jimmy Owen

The eternal debate...
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2005, 09:52:12 AM »
For the demands of today's short attention span, how about a PAS prelim, then Password + with one puzzle and an Alphabetics for ten grand.  One complete half-hour with no straddling.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

saussage

The eternal debate...
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2005, 10:32:10 PM »
[quote name=\'14gameshows\' date=\'May 12 2005, 08:36 AM\']Puzzles-- First puzzle is worth $500, second is worth $1000, third is worth $1500, and fourth is worth $2000.  It takes $2500 to win the game to go to Alphabetics. 
[snapback]85204[/snapback]
[/quote]
Let's burn some $$$ now.

Here's a concept that would really burn a hole in the network's pocket: Play for 15 minutes, puzzles go up by H2 scoring system (start 1st round at $2000), then play for alphabetics as a multiplier. 1x thru 9x for 1-9 letters right and a whopping 100x for getting em all right. WWTBM, eat your heart out. :)

Actually, a system similar to this could be used but the numbers are way out of whack. H2 scoring (ties could occur often unless points or money would be given for partial puzzles solved), a set time limit "a la WOF" (if a tie, then either a system of whoever has control of the current puzzle wins the game OR a fairer way would be a tiebreaker "Classic" Password worth 1000$ and 10 tries are used. As they play it out, 100$ gets deducted until the password is revealed), and a multiplier system for Alphabetics with a base pot of $100 and multipliers x1-x9 are used if you get 1-9 letters right (0 actually next to impossible would equal nothing and well deserving if anyone would be able to achieve such a feat) and a multiplier of x100 for having all 10 right (make the base pot higher if I'm being a little cheap :)  ).
Oh yeah, my numbers are a bit off since the main game could be worth much more than the maximum of the bonus round (since if anyone hits round 5, it would be worth $8000). Taim the $$ so that the rounds would go $500, $500, $1000, $2000, $4000. If anyone can get to puzzle #6 without fluking a few puzzles and with all of today's commercial time, congrats. Start the 1st round at $100 with the H2 scoring system if you want to be cheap.

The changes are radical but sounds like fun. Lots of money to throw around at least :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 10:33:12 PM by saussage »
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

sshuffield70

The eternal debate...
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2005, 11:01:05 PM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'May 13 2005, 09:32 PM\'][quote name=\'14gameshows\' date=\'May 12 2005, 08:36 AM\']Puzzles-- First puzzle is worth $500, second is worth $1000, third is worth $1500, and fourth is worth $2000.  It takes $2500 to win the game to go to Alphabetics. 
[snapback]85204[/snapback]
[/quote]
Let's burn some $$$ now.

Here's a concept that would really burn a hole in the network's pocket: Play for 15 minutes, puzzles go up by H2 scoring system (start 1st round at $2000), then play for alphabetics as a multiplier. 1x thru 9x for 1-9 letters right and a whopping 100x for getting em all right. WWTBM, eat your heart out. :)

Actually, a system similar to this could be used but the numbers are way out of whack. H2 scoring (ties could occur often unless points or money would be given for partial puzzles solved), a set time limit "a la WOF" (if a tie, then either a system of whoever has control of the current puzzle wins the game OR a fairer way would be a tiebreaker "Classic" Password worth 1000$ and 10 tries are used. As they play it out, 100$ gets deducted until the password is revealed), and a multiplier system for Alphabetics with a base pot of $100 and multipliers x1-x9 are used if you get 1-9 letters right (0 actually next to impossible would equal nothing and well deserving if anyone would be able to achieve such a feat) and a multiplier of x100 for having all 10 right (make the base pot higher if I'm being a little cheap :)  ).
Oh yeah, my numbers are a bit off since the main game could be worth much more than the maximum of the bonus round (since if anyone hits round 5, it would be worth $8000). Taim the $$ so that the rounds would go $500, $500, $1000, $2000, $4000. If anyone can get to puzzle #6 without fluking a few puzzles and with all of today's commercial time, congrats. Start the 1st round at $100 with the H2 scoring system if you want to be cheap.

The changes are radical but sounds like fun. Lots of money to throw around at least :)
[snapback]85394[/snapback]
[/quote]

I probably should have edited the repost, but I left it intact so I could show you two how absolutely silly it is.

That's why I really like my system.  It rewards players who can solve quickly, and makes each puzzle mean something, instead of a throwaway puzzle like P+ and SP tended to do with the first puzzle.  I mean I've had games that were like 700-200 as well as the somewhat-famous 3050-400 game from about two years ago (then again, half the points came from one person who got "M&Ms" just from "Mars" on a triple value puzzle.....stupid me.)

Outside of that one incident, I think it would really work.

saussage

The eternal debate...
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2005, 11:59:33 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'May 13 2005, 10:01 PM\']I probably should have edited the repost, but I left it intact so I could show you two how absolutely silly it is.
[snapback]85399[/snapback]
[/quote]
Well if silly means radical change, then it is really really silly :)

I'm trying to think outside the box. I hate rounds that don't mean anything but I also don't like ties. A Classic Password tiebreaker wouldn't be silly as well as the Alphabetics multiplier system. Scoring in an H2 system might be silly because nobody has seen P+ or SP rounds go higher than 500 points/dollars in a round. If a revival is going to be done, the scoring will be in dollars for the rounds and if the winner doesn't at least get $1000 before going to Alphabetics, then I would say that the game would be too cheap by today's standards (although many gameshows playing today still have winnings smaller than this amount before going to the bonus round). Playing for points seem chincy so if you're going to play for $$$, make it worthwhile.

Is the rest silly? Problably, unless you can figure out a way to have the regular rounds about 10-20% of the total cash while the alphabetics winner takes care of the other 80%. Of course you do not want to go to Alphabetics after winning the game and not to be able to win a substantial larger amount.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 12:02:23 AM by saussage »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The eternal debate...
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2005, 06:28:05 AM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'May 13 2005, 07:32 PM\']The changes are radical but sounds like fun. Lots of money to throw around at least :)
[/quote]
You should meet GSWitch. You clearly operate at the same mental level.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

The Pyramids

The eternal debate...
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2005, 08:38:01 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'May 11 2005, 02:37 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 11 2005, 01:47 PM\']How does one explain SP being the longest running Password revamp and its longevity in what was universally considered the toughest time slot in daytime TV?
[snapback]85061[/snapback]
[/quote]
After 23 different occupants of the 12 noon slot over 10 years (count 'em!), it probably occurred to someone they were overthinking the issue, and as long as they had a reasonably good show, with a time-tested format, from a reliable packager, that was just as good an option as any.

I just haven't warmed to Bert's style of hosting the show.  I don't think Kennedy was any great shakes either early on, but he had the excuse of a sudden entrance to the job.

Funny thing about Super Password; they went about 3/4 of the way with new technology (chyron graphics and those tiny monitors for the clue givers, but cardboard pieces for the puzzle).  Just seems odd.
[snapback]85065[/snapback]
[/quote]

I've thought about the antiquated the password board too.

I give the nod to 'Super Password.' Its more of a subjective thing. I recall taping it and watching it after school when it was new.

aaron sica

The eternal debate...
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2005, 09:30:06 AM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'May 14 2005, 08:38 AM\']
I give the nod to 'Super Password.' Its more of a subjective thing. I recall taping it and watching it after school when it was new.
[snapback]85410[/snapback]
[/quote]

Too bad you didn't have KYW-3 from Philly (then NBC, now CBS). They aired SP at 3:30 in the afternoon for a good part of its run. They'd have done your work for you. :)

saussage

The eternal debate...
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2005, 01:00:56 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 14 2005, 05:28 AM\'][quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'May 13 2005, 07:32 PM\']The changes are radical but sounds like fun. Lots of money to throw around at least :)
[/quote]
You should meet GSWitch. You clearly operate at the same mental level.
[snapback]85409[/snapback]
[/quote]
Ooh.. that hurt.
But at least I'm not the one that came up with the idea of Card Sharks 01. :)

Change is good sometimes but change may make a game show revival last more than 3 years and appeal to today's game show viewers.

I'm all up for keeping things the same but unless there's some change from previous formats, a mutated P+ meets SP may never see the light of day (although I would like it to be). Let's not start throwing out insults though when people start to talk about game show ideas that "goes against the grain". We can make fun of them though :)
I for one would love a Pyramid rules-style tourney for the Password revival. It would be P+ with a touch of SP and a pinch of creativity (with the help of Pyramid and H2 for rule ideas). That recipe came courtecy of the game show cookbook :)

Are my ideas different? Some are. Do some of my ideas suck? YES! :)
Wanna taste some game show soup? :)
<giant cane pulls me off of the stage>