Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lunch Room Find  (Read 2308 times)

mmb5

Lunch Room Find
« on: May 16, 2005, 01:47:24 PM »
In the February/March issue of American Heritage, there is a nice interview with la grande dame of To Tell the Truth, Kitty Carlisle-Hart.  Only one-half of one page of the six page interview deals with the show, but you will find the interview fascinating, including why she did the show (to pick up the mail in NYC) and that she was once fired from the show.

The article is not online, so you will have to in the words of many ABC Afterschool Specials and "go to your local library."

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

TwoInchQuad

Lunch Room Find
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 02:22:26 PM »
I've not seen the magazine, so I don't know if Kitty goes into the details, but it's my understanding that she and Hy Gardner were fired from the show at the same time.  Gardner immediately put out some public statements about the decision, but Kitty's agent told her to keep quiet about it, and see if the situation could be worked out.  And in Kitty's case, it was, but Gardner had poisoned the air enough that Goodson  firmly closed the door behind him.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 02:23:06 PM by TwoInchQuad »

Tim L

Lunch Room Find
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 02:51:10 PM »
[quote name=\'TwoInchQuad\' date=\'May 16 2005, 01:22 PM\']I've not seen the magazine, so I don't know if Kitty goes into the details, but it's my understanding that she and Hy Gardner were fired from the show at the same time.  Gardner immediately put out some public statements about the decision, but Kitty's agent told her to keep quiet about it, and see if the situation could be worked out.  And in Kitty's case, it was, but Gardner had poisoned the air enough that Goodson  firmly closed the door behind him.
[snapback]85595[/snapback]
[/quote]

According to Marshall Akers' TTTT Episode Guide. Hy Gardner's last show was February 10., 1959.  Kitty Was On The Panel February 3, 1959 but was replaced for one week by Dancer Marge Champion and 2 more weeks by Julia Meade Returning to the Panel permanently  March 3 1959.  One can guess these differences with Goodson-Todman happened around this time..
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 02:51:44 PM by Tim L »