Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NBC Fall Unscripted  (Read 4614 times)

uncamark

NBC Fall Unscripted
« on: May 16, 2005, 09:50:25 PM »
It's wheel-spinning time in the valley--excuse me, wrong reference.  It's upfront time in New York and NBC was first out today with their fall schedule.  The (admittedly barely) relevant facts and figures on unscripted shows, from the press release (and continuing a tradition in this forum from the tail end of the Big Money Quiz Show Revival):

'THE APPRENTICE: MARTHA STEWART' AND 'THREE WISHES' ARE NEW UNSCRIPTED SERIES

NEW YORK -- May 16, 2005 -- NBC is emphasizing originality and big ideas in its 2005-06 Fall primetime schedule with a lineup of three new drama series, one new comedy and two unscripted series - continuing its tradition of fresh faces and innovative concepts built on a strong foundation of quality returning series.

The annual program announcement was made today by Jeff Zucker, President, NBC Universal Television Group and Kevin Reilly, President, NBC Entertainment, before the advertising community, affiliates and press at Radio City Music Hall.

"We're very excited and encouraged by the lineup we're presenting today," said Zucker. "I'm confident that we have addressed our schedule needs and will continue to excel in drawing the advertiser-friendly, upscale viewers who have come to appreciate NBC's quality brand of programming."

"NBC viewers will see fresh talent and bold, original concepts in our new series next year," said Reilly, "Our goal is to create real excitement, especially at 8 p.m., which will pay dividends throughout each night. We're eager to be number one again, and this freshman class, combined with NBC's powerful core schedule and recent successes like "Medium," "The Biggest Loser" and "The Office," represent a major step toward getting there."

[snip]

The fall lineup also includes two new unscripted series, "The Apprentice: Martha Stewart") on Wednesdays (8-9 p.m. ET) and "Three Wishes" on Fridays (8-9 p.m. ET), hosted by popular recording artist Amy Grant.

Fan favorites "Scrubs" and "Fear Factor" will also return to the NBC schedule at some point next season.

TUESDAY

"The Biggest Loser," which quietly became one of the biggest winners of this past season (improving ratings in that hour versus other regular programming by 116 percent), has potential to open the night strongly.

WEDNESDAY

NBC alters its usual Wednesday-night landscape of three consecutive dramas by opening with the unscripted drama "Martha Stewart: The Apprentice," a buzz-worthy extension of a great franchise that's aimed at jump-starting the night.

THURSDAY

This season, NBC's Thursday lineup was the most upscale night on network television in adults 18-49 living in homes with incomes of $75,000 or more. [snip] "The Apprentice" with Donald Trump remains solidly upscale...

FRIDAY

A reconstituted Friday night includes the emotionally powerful unscripted series "Three Wishes" ...

[snip]

New Unscripted Series

"THE APPRENTICE: MARTHA STEWART" -- "The Apprentice: Martha Stewart" will retain the general format of the original alternative series, including weekly eliminations; however, the style and feel of this new show will be tailored to Martha Stewart's personality and brand identity. The tasks will be centered around Stewart's areas of expertise: media, home renovation, entertaining, design, merchandising, technology and style. Stewart will bring her own sensibilities and creativity to the elimination process which will feature two of her most trusted colleagues who help her make the decision each week. Mark Burnett is creator and executive producer of "The Apprentice: Martha Stewart." Donald J. Trump and Jay Bienstock are also executive producers. Conrad Riggs and Kevin Harris are co-executive producers.

"THREE WISHES" -- Five-time Grammy-winning recording artist Amy Grant ("Rock of Ages...Hymns & Faith") stars in this hour-long, unscripted series in which she leads a team of experts to a small town to "grant" wishes to help make the hopes and unbelievable dreams of deserving people come true. Viewers will follow some of the town folks' deeply personal and heartwarming stories as Grant and her team transform these hopes into a life-changing reality. The full spectrum of wishes ranges from paying tribute to an unsung hero to helping a despairing family in the grip of a loved one's life-threatening medical crisis. Additional "wish" examples include: tearful reunions with long-lost relatives; living out a mind-blowing sports fantasy, and helping to save a dedicated teacher's job. Carpenter Carter Oosterhouse ("Trading Spaces"), contractor Eric Stromer ("Clean Sweep") and architect Amanda Miller ("Knock First") comprise Grant's team of experts. Andrew Glassman (NBC's "Average Joe 1-4") and Jason Raff (NBC's "Average Joe 1-4") are the executive producers, and Tony Croll (NBC's "Average Joe") is the director of this pilot from Glassman Media and NBC Universal Television Studio.

--------------

Comments:  This will actually be "Loser"'s third series--the second one's airing this summer.  Seems to me that "Three Wishes" was originally developed for Pax before they decided to implode.  And I'm surprised that "FF"'s being held for mid-season, but I guess they didn't want reality every weeknight in the fall.

To read the whole press release:

http://nbcumv.com/release_detail.nbc/enter...oducessixn.html

Don Howard

NBC Fall Unscripted
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 09:54:58 PM »
Looks like a bunch of crap.

sshuffield70

NBC Fall Unscripted
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 10:35:13 PM »
Amy Grant finally gets a show after 28 years??  :) :)

The thing with "Fear Factor" is how many times can you possibly gross out the audience with cow testicles and pig intestines?  It's probably better that it waits.  Besides, it's gotta be losing to EMHE anyway.

GS Warehouse

NBC Fall Unscripted
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 11:14:05 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'May 16 2005, 09:35 PM\']The thing with "Fear Factor" is how many times can you possibly gross out the audience with cow testicles and pig intestines?  It's probably better that it waits.  Besides, it's gotta be losing to EMHE anyway.
[snapback]85664[/snapback]
[/quote]
Actually, it's been neck-and-neck with CBS sitcoms Still Standing and Listen Up--both on the fence for renewal (obviously fewer people watch broadcast TV at all at this hour compared to last year).  This "EMHE" of which you speak is really a spinoff subtitled "How'd They Do That?", and it's treading water ratingswise.  I don't expect it back when ABC announces its lineup tomorrow.

To make this on-topic, here are implications on current or former gs (and/or GSN) personalities:
CAROLINE RHEA: The former HSq regular and first-season Celebrity Blackjack champion hosts The Biggest Loser.
JD ROTH: The former Fun House host is an executive producer of same.
CHRIS HARRISON: Just when I think that after tonight, we'll only see him again when GSN reruns season 2 of CB, Yahoo! reports that ABC will give The Bachelor a(n undeserved, IMO) renewal.
PATRICK WARBURTON: One of the players on the current Poker Royale series is also expected to survive upfront week with his Less Than Perfect job intact.  (I like LtP, but I can't believe they're giving up on 8 Simple Rules!  OTOH, 8SR was never the same after John Ritter died.)
MIKE O'MALLEY: After five years on Yes, Dear, is the former Get the Picture host heading back to the comedy clubs this summer?  We'll know Wednesday.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 11:16:01 PM by GS Warehouse »

SplitSecond

NBC Fall Unscripted
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 11:14:27 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 16 2005, 06:50 PM\']Comments:  This will actually be "Loser"'s third series--the second one's airing this summer.
[/quote]
Incorrect.  The second series premieres in late summer and continues through to early fall.

rugrats1

NBC Fall Unscripted
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 12:12:57 AM »
"THREE WISHES" -- Five-time Grammy-winning recording artist Amy Grant ("Rock of Ages...Hymns & Faith")

What about "Find A Way"? "House of Love"? "Baby Baby"? Those types of hits that you don't have to listen to a Christian station to listen to?

To be honest, with the PR listing only her award-winning Christian album, I bet this show was originally slated to appear on Pax, before it was destined to become 24/7 infomercial fodder.

...stars in this hour-long, unscripted series in which she leads a team of experts to a small town to "grant" wishes to help make the hopes and unbelievable dreams of deserving people come true.

NBC tried a similar show like this before -- and failed. Remember "Fantasy", with Peter Marshall and Leslie Uggams?

Don Howard

NBC Fall Unscripted
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 12:33:45 AM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'May 16 2005, 11:12 PM\']NBC tried a similar show like this before -- and failed. Remember "Fantasy", with Peter Marshall and Leslie Uggams?
[snapback]85672[/snapback]
[/quote]
Maybe they'll be brought back to host. Along with Glenn Scarpelli!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, God, yes.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 12:34:09 AM by Don Howard »

BrandonFG

NBC Fall Unscripted
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 02:35:57 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'May 16 2005, 11:33 PM\'][quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'May 16 2005, 11:12 PM\']NBC tried a similar show like this before -- and failed. Remember "Fantasy", with Peter Marshall and Leslie Uggams?
[/quote]
Maybe they'll be brought back to host. Along with Glenn Scarpelli!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, God, yes.
[snapback]85674[/snapback]
[/quote]

Here's my Bed Bath and Beyond gift card. You'll thank me later.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

zachhoran

NBC Fall Unscripted
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 08:19:34 AM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'May 16 2005, 11:12 PM\']
"THREE WISHES" -- Five-time Grammy-winning recording artist Amy Grant ("Rock of Ages...Hymns & Faith")

What about "Find A Way"? "House of Love"? "Baby Baby"? Those types of hits that you don't have to listen to a Christian station to listen to?

...stars in this hour-long, unscripted series in which she leads a team of experts to a small town to "grant" wishes to help make the hopes and unbelievable dreams of deserving people come true.

NBC tried a similar show like this before -- and failed. Remember "Fantasy", with Peter Marshall and Leslie Uggams?
[/quote]

I doubt Find a Way is on the playlists of many radio stations these days, as it was only a #29 hit 20 years ago; I don't even think VH1 Classic plays the video for it(they do rotate some fairly obscure 80s videos on their playlists. Her Peter Cetera duet "NExt Time I Fall" and her early 90s hits are probably still on airplay lists of soft-rock stations.

This new Amy Grant series will look more like "Richard Simmons' Dumbass Maker" than it will Fantasy. The latter at least had game show elements. As long as Jerry Penacoli and Simmons stay off the new show.....

Clay Zambo

NBC Fall Unscripted
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 08:24:09 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'May 17 2005, 07:19 AM\']I doubt Find a Way is on the playlists of many radio stations these days, as it was only a #29 hit 20 years ago...
[/quote]

Thanks, Zach, I wasn't feeling quite old enough this morning.

Pass the Geritol, please.
czambo@mac.com

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
NBC Fall Unscripted
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 08:31:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'May 17 2005, 07:24 AM\']Pass the Geritol, please.
[/quote]
As soon as you call Med-4-Home and Physicians Mutual.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

GS Warehouse

NBC Fall Unscripted
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 03:02:49 PM »
An addendum to my last post: Against all odds, The Bachelor and Less than Perfect are coming back, but both in midseason like Fear Factor.  Well, it worked for 24 this year and Crossing Jordan last year, and it just occurred to me that Fear Factor has been on the midseason slate before.  Also coming in midseason:

BROOKE BURNS: Last seen on Dog Eat Dog (nobody saw her on North Shore), the TTTT00 alum plays Rebecca Romijn's sister on The WB's Pepper Dennis.
TOM BERGERON: After closing its season in the Friday 8:00 hour, I thought America's Funniest Home Videos would move there, but ABC is keeping the former host on Sunday nights.

More updates tomorrow after CBS unveils its schedule.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 03:03:53 PM by GS Warehouse »

sshuffield70

NBC Fall Unscripted
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 09:07:18 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'May 16 2005, 11:12 PM\']

To be honest, with the PR listing only her award-winning Christian album, I bet this show was originally slated to appear on Pax, before it was destined to become 24/7 infomercial fodder.

[/quote]

I would wonder why, with all the pop albums really starting with "Unguarded" ("Find A Way", "Wise Up", "Who To Listen To" [featured on an ep of "Miami Vice"]), and all the '90s efforts, her Christian efforts, though they began in '77, were highlighted.  PAX sounds like a reasonable explanation.

Lemme see here, in addition to "Fantasy", Richard Simmons and Jerry Penacoli also had a similar show, as well as the now-cancelled "Home Delivery".  I don't give it high hopes.  According to the title of two different Amy Grant songs (one a Carole King remake), it's too late.

uncamark

NBC Fall Unscripted
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 05:38:07 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'May 17 2005, 02:02 PM\']BROOKE BURNS: Last seen on Dog Eat Dog (nobody saw her on North Shore), the TTTT00 alum plays Rebecca Romijn's sister on The WB's Pepper Dennis.
[snapback]85722[/snapback]
[/quote]

I hope some of you keep your hands where we can see them when you're watching "Pepper Dennis."  :)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
NBC Fall Unscripted
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2005, 06:24:13 PM »
"THREE WISHES" -- Five-time Grammy-winning recording artist Amy Grant ("Rock of Ages...Hymns & Faith") stars in this hour-long, unscripted series in which she leads a team of experts to a small town to "grant" wishes to help make the hopes and unbelievable dreams of deserving people come true. Viewers will follow some of the town folks' deeply personal and heartwarming stories as Grant and her team transform these hopes into a life-changing reality. The full spectrum of wishes ranges from paying tribute to an unsung hero to helping a despairing family in the grip of a loved one's life-threatening medical crisis. Additional "wish" examples include: tearful reunions with long-lost relatives; living out a mind-blowing sports fantasy, and helping to save a dedicated teacher's job.
"Would YOU like to be Queen For a Day?" It Could Be YOU! Or would you rather "Strike It Rich"?

SplitSecond: Haven't I been saying for months now that the time is right for tear-jerk giveaway shows?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 06:32:42 PM by chris319 »