Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "...Gone Bananas #1"  (Read 11569 times)

whizofthequiz

"...Gone Bananas #1"
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2005, 03:29:12 PM »
Does anyone know where they taped the Chuck Wollery segments. The clock behing him looked like the original clock from Beat the Clock in the 50's. Any guesses?

MyCapableAssistant

"...Gone Bananas #1"
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2005, 05:00:17 PM »
What a great show... can't wait to see the rest of them!
Distraction was "interesting."

What I found most noticeable came while I was watching one of the Price clips and listening to Johnny's announcing. When the clip had ended and "Gone Bananas" went to commercial, I found Randy sounded soooo much like Johnny, I actually didn't notice when Johnny's announcing ENDED and Randy's BEGAN! Unreal !  Terrific job, Randy!

mandelweb

"...Gone Bananas #1"
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2005, 07:10:24 PM »
[quote name=\'whizofthequiz\' date=\'May 22 2005, 02:29 PM\']Does anyone know where they taped the Chuck Wollery segments. The clock behing him looked like the original clock from Beat the Clock in the 50's. Any guesses?
[snapback]86164[/snapback]
[/quote]

The Chuck segments were done at the FremantleMedia offices.  That old Beat the Clock clock has been a prominent fixture at FremantleMedia offices for many years.  A little inside scoop...the original plan was to have him in one of the FremantleMedia conference rooms with several classic game show home games in the background - one of which was going to be the Scrabble home game.

- Mandel
Mandelweb.com 2.0
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 07:10:47 PM by mandelweb »

whizofthequiz

"...Gone Bananas #1"
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2005, 08:15:11 PM »
[quote name=\'mandelweb\' date=\'May 22 2005, 06:10 PM\'][quote name=\'whizofthequiz\' date=\'May 22 2005, 02:29 PM\']Does anyone know where they taped the Chuck Wollery segments. The clock behing him looked like the original clock from Beat the Clock in the 50's. Any guesses?
[snapback]86164[/snapback]
[/quote]

The Chuck segments were done at the FremantleMedia offices.  That old Beat the Clock clock has been a prominent fixture at FremantleMedia offices for many years.  A little inside scoop...the original plan was to have him in one of the FremantleMedia conference rooms with several classic game show home games in the background - one of which was going to be the Scrabble home game.

- Mandel
Mandelweb.com 2.0
[snapback]86180[/snapback]
[/quote]

Mandel,

Thanks for the insight! Does the clock still work? Any other goodies around the office?

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
"...Gone Bananas #1"
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2005, 12:24:56 AM »
I'll simply say right off, I could have lived without the showcasing of Distraction.
Nonetheless, I found the special to be quite engaging. No matter how many times I watch it, the Say When peanut butter blooper will remain among my favorites, even though one of my ever-so-dear friends disagrees and believes the jar was rigged to result in said outcome.
I can't wait to see what's in store with episodes 2 - 5.

I spent many days in a dub house in the valley screening as many of the 1" tapes as possible. I think I may have viewed most of the 1986 season of Price in the process

I enjoyed the Price moments as well, especially one where contestant Vicki Brooks appeared to be having a mental fit of some sort on her way down to contestants' row.

:sigh: What I'd give to fly out to California and be hired as a program screener.
:-D
Till then, I guess I'll have to stick with this cheesy little webpage I've got going here.

Anyhoo, this was a decent special. Good job!

--Jamie
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 03:40:02 AM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

dmota104

"...Gone Bananas #1"
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2005, 07:16:04 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'May 22 2005, 01:35 PM\']Hmmm... Ross Schaffer gets the nod over Jim Peck in the top 5 foul-ups?  I think Peck's bout with the stairs earns more merit! (Another conspiracy ;-p)
[snapback]86158[/snapback]
[/quote]

It does -- but as noted throughout this thread, all the clips came from Fremantle-owned shows.  

Had The Big ShowDown been a Mark Goodson-Bill Todman production or if it were produced by another company that Fremantle would later own, "the big fall down" would've been there.

tvwxman

"...Gone Bananas #1"
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2005, 09:20:31 AM »
Count me as a fan of "Distraction"..... not necessarily for the continued 'dumbing-down' of America, but rather, for Jimmy Carr's deadpan delivery.... and I don't mind a special loaded with clips of it, if it means we see less FFeud and Newlywed clips, which have been 'special'ed to death....

The only critique of the show, IMHO, was the on set games...boring. Period. Didn't need to see a girl pop balloons, or a guy play psuedo-Fast Money.....show me more clips to fill an hour with, or else cut the show in half.

And Mandel...I agree with your assessment of Graham Norton...most anyone who has seen his BBC stuff would agree...what was the concept for "I'm with Stupid"...and why was a pilot done on the FFeud stage?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

zachhoran

"...Gone Bananas #1"
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2005, 09:37:52 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'May 23 2005, 08:20 AM\']Count me as a fan of "Distraction"..... not necessarily for the continued 'dumbing-down' of America, but rather, for Jimmy Carr's deadpan delivery.... and I don't mind a special loaded with clips of it, if it means we see less FFeud and Newlywed clips, which have been 'special'ed to death....

[snapback]86210[/snapback]
[/quote]

The US show clips will be from all Fremantle-owned shows, correct? That would mean Newlywed gets a break from these VH1 specials.

tyshaun1

"...Gone Bananas #1"
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2005, 10:52:28 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'May 23 2005, 09:37 AM\']The US show clips will be from all Fremantle-owned shows, correct? That would mean Newlywed gets a break from these VH1 specials.
[snapback]86211[/snapback]
[/quote]

As had been stated several times in the thread, Zach, it's all Fremantle. And this just in: Newlywed Game isn't owned by Fremantle.

Speaking of the special, I thought it was decent overall, but a sick Ben Stein really brought down the whole show. I'm intrigued to see if he'll be feeling up to snuff for the rest of them. Plus, it'd be nice to see some $ale clips.......

Tyshaun

Jimmy Owen

"...Gone Bananas #1"
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2005, 11:31:00 AM »
Bill Shatner wasn't available?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

beau

"...Gone Bananas #1"
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2005, 03:14:18 PM »
I only got to watch the last half-hour or so. However, I liked what I saw. I was laughing hysterically through most of it. Seeing the "Distraction" bits were a welcomed surprise, as I'm a big fan of Jimmy Carr. Ben Stein was a real trouper with him being sick and all. I hope he feels better real soon.

I didn't like the in-studio games very well. For the next one, they should be cut down IMO.

I give it 4.5/5 stars.

Radiofreewill

"...Gone Bananas #1"
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2005, 09:17:44 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'May 23 2005, 08:20 AM\']Count me as a fan of "Distraction"..... not necessarily for the continued 'dumbing-down' of America, but rather, for Jimmy Carr's deadpan delivery....[/quote]

I'll have to agree with my distinguished colleague on this one. There's no possible way Distraction would work without Jimmy Carr.

As for ...Gone Bananas, not a bad concept. Hopefully Ben'll be "up to snuff" for the next 4, and the on-set games will include a little more excitement. Other than that, fine job all around.

Jimmy Owen

"...Gone Bananas #1"
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2005, 10:01:51 AM »
Weren't they all taped at the same time?  So if Ben was sick for #1.......
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tvrandywest

"...Gone Bananas #1"
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2005, 12:14:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 28 2005, 06:01 AM\']Weren't they all taped at the same time?  So if Ben was sick for #1.......
[snapback]86788[/snapback]
[/quote]
<ding> Correct!
Like game shows themselves, all 5 episodes were taped on the same day. The difference here was that the show opens for all 5 were taped together, all 5 of the audience member stunts were taped together, etc.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 12:14:56 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

beau

"...Gone Bananas #1"
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2005, 11:17:35 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'May 28 2005, 11:14 AM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 28 2005, 06:01 AM\']Weren't they all taped at the same time?  So if Ben was sick for #1.......
[snapback]86788[/snapback]
[/quote]
<ding> Correct!
Like game shows themselves, all 5 episodes were taped on the same day. The difference here was that the show opens for all 5 were taped together, all 5 of the audience member stunts were taped together, etc.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[snapback]86795[/snapback]
[/quote]

Therefore, Ben will be sick in all 5 episodes. Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks Randy.