Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: P+ 5/24 Question  (Read 3886 times)

TimK2003

P+ 5/24 Question
« on: May 24, 2005, 08:01:06 PM »
An odd occurrence on today's ep of Password Plus (5/24).

On the first puzzle (Famous "Mothers"), the first password was Superior.  Both teams had given one clue without a correct guess, then Tom Kennedy said the answer, the word went up on the board and gameplay went on.

After further review of the play, each team was only given one shot at the password not the usual two. But it seemed that nobody (players, host, stage crew,...) said anything and the puzzle went on.

Shouldn't this puzzle have been thrown out with a new puzzle used and the program edited? Even after the commercial break, which came right after the puzzle, there was no mention of the oopsie.  Or was the champion, who ultimately lost the match, invited back at a later date?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 08:03:49 PM by TimK2003 »

whewfan

P+ 5/24 Question
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 05:47:15 AM »
I don't think that mistake had any affect on the outcome of the game, considering nobody knew the puzzle until all 5 clues were exposed.

Tom made a similar mistake later in the run with Gene Rayburn and Wink Martindale as celebs (possibly one of the rare times two males are celebs)
Tom had revealed the password as Gene was about to give his last clue. Gene, of course, appropriately chided "It's my clue, you dummy!"

Tom was so embarrassed, and "collapsed", pleading for mercy. There was an obvious edit and Tom sheepishly explained that they were going to throw out the puzzle and start new.

zachhoran

P+ 5/24 Question
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 08:17:22 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'May 25 2005, 04:47 AM\']
Tom made a similar mistake later in the run with Gene Rayburn and Wink Martindale as celebs (possibly one of the rare times two males are celebs)
Tom had revealed the password as Gene was about to give his last clue. Gene, of course, appropriately chided "It's my clue, you dummy!"

[snapback]86453[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not that much later in the run, as the Martindale/Rayburn week begins airing tomorrow(5/26)

xibit777

P+ 5/24 Question
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 02:10:21 PM »
Wow this should be a fun week.   Why was PW + and SP off the schedule for so long????   This is the first time I've ever seen either, and they have become near the top of my favorite game shows.

I know Tom makes mistakes, but I really like him as a host.  He's down to earth, funny, and just seems like a good guy.  He's kind of goofy too which I guess makes him seem more real than other hosts.  When Debra-Lee was doing alphabetics yesterday and he started cracking up at how bad she was yet the contestant still got the words right, it was the funniest thing ever.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 02:10:38 PM by xibit777 »

wschmrdr

P+ 5/24 Question
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 02:17:15 PM »
I think P+ and SP were taken off the air either due to contract disagreements with NBC, or they were trying to go in the all-modern direction and failed. Though I can't easily watch P+ (due to TPiR), it's good to see SP once again. Also, Allen Ludden on the Saturday Night stint.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
P+ 5/24 Question
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 02:28:03 PM »
[quote name=\'wschmrdr\' date=\'May 25 2005, 11:17 AM\']I think P+ and SP were taken off the air either due to contract disagreements with NBC, or they were trying to go in the all-modern direction and failed.
[/quote]
And do you have any evidence whatsoever to back this up, or is this entirely ex-rectum hypothesis?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

P+ 5/24 Question
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 02:28:58 PM »
[quote name=\'wschmrdr\' date=\'May 25 2005, 01:17 PM\']I think P+ and SP were taken off the air either due to contract disagreements with NBC, or they were trying to go in the all-modern direction and failed. Though I can't easily watch P+ (due to TPiR), it's good to see SP once again. Also, Allen Ludden on the Saturday Night stint.
[snapback]86476[/snapback]
[/quote]

NBC has nothing to do with those shows now.  Under the blanket license agreement GSN has had regarding the G-T library for all but three months of their history, they can air those shows in any way they please.  Their last attempts at running them didn't get the ratings results they wanted, so they were taken off--and long before the rebranding to GSN The Network for Games.

TimK2003

P+ 5/24 Question
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 03:23:33 PM »
[quote name=\'xibit777\' date=\'May 25 2005, 01:10 PM\']I know Tom makes mistakes, but I really like him as a host.  He's down to earth, funny, and just seems like a good guy.  He's kind of goofy too which I guess makes him seem more real than other hosts.  When Debra-Lee was doing alphabetics yesterday and he started cracking up at how bad she was yet the contestant still got the words right, it was the funniest thing ever.
[snapback]86474[/snapback]
[/quote]

Was Tom ever considered for Super Password?  I know that he was involved in the show Body Language at the time.  The only thing I could think of was that some markets aired SP & BL during the 12p-12:30 ET slot on opposing networks and to have Tom compete against Tom didn't sound so good.

zachhoran

P+ 5/24 Question
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 07:22:40 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'May 25 2005, 02:23 PM\'][quote name=\'xibit777\' date=\'May 25 2005, 01:10 PM\']I know Tom makes mistakes, but I really like him as a host.  He's down to earth, funny, and just seems like a good guy.  He's kind of goofy too which I guess makes him seem more real than other hosts.  When Debra-Lee was doing alphabetics yesterday and he started cracking up at how bad she was yet the contestant still got the words right, it was the funniest thing ever.
[snapback]86474[/snapback]
[/quote]

Was Tom ever considered for Super Password?  I know that he was involved in the show Body Language at the time.  The only thing I could think of was that some markets aired SP & BL during the 12p-12:30 ET slot on opposing networks and to have Tom compete against Tom didn't sound so good.
[snapback]86487[/snapback]
[/quote]

Convy I suppose would have been better suited for Body Language, as there's about as much gameplay on an average episode of that as there would be on WLOD. He'd have had time to yuk it up with the celebs there like he did on WLOD. When he yuks it up on SP, he cuts in to potential game time. And there'd still be puzzles and words he could occasionally blurt out the answers to :) BL replaced Convy's second run of Tattletales. He could have gotten BL and it would have freed TK up for SP.

xibit777

P+ 5/24 Question
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 06:50:06 PM »
Did anyone see the Wink Martindale & Gene Rayburn show today?  One of the BEST!!!   I would recommend tuning in over the next 4 days if you like PW +.  These 3  (Gene, Wink, and Tom) really know how to put on good comedy.   It all started when someone missed the opening cue and it was way off and then Tom makes a remark about how they're game show hosts and can't even get cues right.  And Gene flirting with the female contestant was funny too.

Seeing Wink on a game show for the first time in at least 10 years really makes me wish GSN would renew the B&E library so I could watch Tic Tac Dough.  Last time I saw TTD was on USA wayyyy back in the old days.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 06:51:52 PM by xibit777 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
P+ 5/24 Question
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 07:05:41 PM »
[quote name=\'xibit777\' date=\'May 26 2005, 03:50 PM\']Did anyone see the Wink Martindale & Gene Rayburn show today?  One of the BEST!!!   I would recommend tuning in over the next 4 days if you like PW +.  These 3  (Gene, Wink, and Tom) really know how to put on good comedy.   It all started when someone missed the opening cue and it was way off and then Tom makes a remark about how they're game show hosts and can't even get cues right.  And Gene flirting with the female contestant was funny too.
[/quote]
Yeah, they're funny as hell, but they aren't great Password players, I don't think.

I may burn in hell for this, but I always liked it when Jon Bauman was on pretty much any show (though I think he did Match Game and Password the most) as Bowzer, even before he had the MGHSH gig.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

P+ 5/24 Question
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005, 08:22:56 PM »
I tend to agree about Bowzer, that's why I wonder why they made him a preppy on MGHS?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

JMFabiano

P+ 5/24 Question
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2005, 10:03:06 PM »
Yes that was quite the wacky episode...what was up with some of Gene's clues today?  Hit about 0.8 on the Aristophanes Scale a few times there!  

And I am another member of the Bowzer Guilty Pleasure Fan Club.  I actually looked forward to seeing Tom's first encounter with him.  Funny with Tom asking him to explain every aspect of his character, and then "outing" him without the grease.   I know they will have a "kayfabe" all-star week later on (like the Hello Larry vs. Mama's Family still in its Carol Burnett short stage).  Seeing as Bowzer always appeared on PW+ in character, maybe he shows up on this "playing" Jon Bauman???? ;-)  

And while I didn't hate Jon on MG/HS as much as some of you do, it would have been even more bizarre to have him in Bowzer character trying to be Peter Marshall's successor.  

Hope I don't open Pandora's Box (which Bowzer also so eloquently explained the story of on this last week of PW+ reruns!) with this, but anyone got an idea as to when the $500-to-win, Alphabetics Jackpot era began?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.