Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Temptation- The New Sale Of The Century  (Read 10899 times)

DrJWJustice

Temptation- The New Sale Of The Century
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2005, 06:58:50 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 31 2005, 01:47 PM\'][quote name=\'byrd62\' date=\'May 31 2005, 07:36 AM\']Doesn't FremantleMedia [who bought Reg Grundy's company] own the rights to Temptation/Sale of the Century?  Maybe they ought to shop it around the US networks and/or stations [if for syndication].
[/quote]
If it ends up being a hit Down Under (and I think those of us who have been hit down under know just how painful that can be), I'd like to think they may well do that.

I'd also like to think that I'll wake up tomorrow and this whole George W. Bush thing will have been a terrible nightmare, but I doubt that will happen. :)
[snapback]87208[/snapback]
[/quote]
It was bad enough when he was Governor of Texas.  Then again, the damn Aggie in the governor's mansion now who took his place is even worse.

ObGameShows:  A former governor of New Jersey (I think?) was one of the original panelists on "What's My Line."

pyramid100

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2005, 10:49:04 PM »
I have seen a number of people mentioning that they have friends down under taping the show, I think that someone should have the heart to upload a torrent or two of this show for people to see it. Unless there is an Aussie TV show Torrent site. There are other friends that have posted full seasons of game shows why should people that don't have friends down under be forced to sit in the dark?

This seems like a rant and it isn't just a suggestion. I know costs and what not, these foreign tv show communities have support in the form of donations. Anyway its just a thought.

Hope everyone will get to enjoy the premier soon.

curtking

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2005, 08:51:45 AM »
[quote name=\'pyramid100\' date=\'Jun 1 2005, 09:49 PM\']I have seen a number of people mentioning that they have friends down under taping the show, I think that someone should have the heart to upload a torrent or two of this show for people to see it. Unless there is an Aussie TV show Torrent site.
[snapback]87443[/snapback]
[/quote]
While I understand your sentiments, "have a heart" might be a little harsh.  Those who have these episodes (and I am not one of them) have worked hard to build the relationships that made acquiring these episodes possible.  And foreign (sorry, international) game shows are very valuable in tape-trading circles.

I have not yet found a site that specifically deals in Australian TV torrents, unlike British TV which has UKNova.  I've combed a number of the search engines, but no one that I can find has capped and uploaded any of the Temptation episodes so far.

Curt

dzinkin

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2005, 09:14:18 AM »
[quote name=\'curtking\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 08:51 AM\']And foreign (sorry, international) game shows are very valuable in tape-trading circles.
[snapback]87471[/snapback]
[/quote]
This isn't CNN; you're allowed to use the word "foreign" here. :-)

Brig Bother

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2005, 10:17:58 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jun 1 2005, 07:35 PM\']However, the fact that the non-commercial ABC's newscast is beating "Big Brother" is even more interesting--could the Aussies finally be tiring of the show after six groups of housemates?  Or did the eviction nominations show later that night draw a bigger audience?
[snapback]87404[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't know, I was always under the impression that Aussie BB had always rated at just over a million. I imagine the demographics for it are wonderful. I have to say actually that the production values of the show are wonderful, especially considering how small its viewership is. You can download it unscruplously from various BitTorrent sites, if you feel like bankrupting the Ten Network.

Um... Temptation!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2005, 02:10:12 PM »
[quote name=\'pyramid100\' date=\'Jun 1 2005, 07:49 PM\']I think that someone should have the heart to upload a torrent or two of this show for people to see it.
[/quote]
Trade value (which I really could give a rip about, and in fact if I found out that these episodes WERE considered "valuable", I'd be MORE inclined to share them for nothing) aside, using a phrase like "have the heart" makes it sound like I have some kind of DUTY to distribute these. And guess what? I don't.

Now, I don't _think_ that was the point you wanted to make. At least, I hope not. But you should choose your words more carefully.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

pyramid100

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2005, 02:39:18 PM »
i am sorry have a heart weren't the right words to say. I have a dream that the internet will be available one day as a place where not only we can talk about game shows but also view other game shows as well in a place with torrents since that doesn't use up as much bandwidth.

Would anyone like to share an episode of temptation with me please?

thanks a bunch, sorry for the misconstrued words.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2005, 03:50:00 PM »
[quote name=\'pyramid100\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 01:39 PM\']Would anyone like to share an episode of temptation with me please?
[/quote]
Do you want to have tea and crumpets with that too?  Maybe after that we can relax in front of the fireplace and make smores.

The answer, more than likely, is still "no".  And learn how to make a sentence while you're at it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 03:50:48 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2005, 04:02:20 PM »
Mark, chill the hell out.

Pyramid100, I agree, it would be great if a torrent were available. But the thing is, torrents work best with files with widespread popularity, since the idea is that you download small chunks from many many people, thereby spreading out the bandwidth hit. (Don't fool yourself into thinking it takes less. 400 MB is 400 MB is 400 MB.)

But, realistically, how many people do you think would be actively seeding an episode of Temptation? A dozen? Maybe? Just isn't worth the effort. Plus, most broadband users don't have the upstream bandwidth to upload large files with any degree of efficiency. (I know it's gotten a little better at Comcast, but not by a lot. I think mine's at a whopping 384K.) It's less work just to trade or distrubute a DVD.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 04:03:24 PM by clemon79 »

pyramid100

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2005, 05:19:14 PM »
i understand where you are coming from, but I am talking about a torrent site with many game shows, not only temptation. And looking at the size of the thread I'd say there is some interest. It only takes one episode to test the waters. I am not asking you to upload the torrent or anything, the whole Idea with torrents is that if you have more people who keep their file open or seed the torrent after they're done the faster the file will go.

clemon79

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2005, 05:50:23 PM »
[quote name=\'pyramid100\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 02:19 PM\']the whole Idea with torrents is that if you have more people who keep their file open or seed the torrent after they're done the faster the file will go.
[/quote]
Yes, thank you, I just said that.

And based on this thread I'm seeing some people who would love to download. How many do you SERIOUSLY think will seed or keep the torrent open for further sharing once they have the file?

One in ten, at best. AT BEST. I'd call it closer to one in twenty, maybe fifty. The GS community simply isn't big enough for BitTorrent to be a viable distrubition model.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 05:51:14 PM by clemon79 »

DJDustman

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2005, 06:03:44 PM »
In the previous Sale of the Century (before Temptation), did they use a form of the Winner's Board format?

I keep hearing that they used some kind of Winner's Board bonus starting in the 90's, which I thought is false. I always thought it was shopping the whole run.

Edit: I stand corrected, I was told earlier that there was.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 06:54:54 PM by DJDustman »