Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If Viacom bought GSN...  (Read 11413 times)

Jimmy Owen

If Viacom bought GSN...
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2005, 10:25:51 AM »
What'll probably happen in a distant future is that we'll go back to the way it was and people will lament  "Remember the good ol days when they used to squeeze the credits?  And why did they get rid of the bugs?  I miss those!"
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

aaron sica

If Viacom bought GSN...
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2005, 10:30:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 30 2005, 10:25 AM\']What'll probably happen in a distant future is that we'll go back to the way it was and people will lament  "Remember the good ol days when they used to squeeze the credits?  And why did they get rid of the bugs?  I miss those!"
[snapback]87005[/snapback]
[/quote]

What will probably happen (not that I'm encouraging this, mind you, and I hope it DOESN'T hapen) is that it turns into a thread with Mario500 leading his "crusade"...

Attempting to steer this back on track, I could only hope maybe one day TVLand would add a small game show block and dust off the Cullen Pyramid tapes..

Jimmy Owen

If Viacom bought GSN...
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2005, 10:33:38 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'May 30 2005, 09:30 AM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 30 2005, 10:25 AM\']What'll probably happen in a distant future is that we'll go back to the way it was and people will lament  "Remember the good ol days when they used to squeeze the credits?  And why did they get rid of the bugs?  I miss those!"
[snapback]87005[/snapback]
[/quote]

What will probably happen (not that I'm encouraging this, mind you, and I hope it DOESN'T hapen) is that it turns into a thread with Mario500 leading his "crusade"...

Attempting to steer this back on track, I could only hope maybe one day TVLand would add a small game show block and dust off the Cullen Pyramid tapes..
[snapback]87007[/snapback]
[/quote]

I would agree about the Cullen Pyramids.  Maybe they could do a mini marathon with some of the TV icons (Freddie Prinze, Penny Marshall, Caren Kaye...Um I mean Mike Farrell...)

aaron sica

If Viacom bought GSN...
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2005, 10:39:20 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 30 2005, 10:33 AM\']
I would agree about the Cullen Pyramids.  Maybe they could do a mini marathon with some of the TV icons (Freddie Prinze, Penny Marshall, Caren Kaye...Um I mean Mike Farrell...)
[snapback]87008[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't remember seeing this, but in my Feb. 17-23 1979 issue of TVG, Pyramid had celebrity couples week, with four celebrity couples playing per day. I've also noticed as well that the $20,000 Pyramid had a lot of TVG ads back in the day...

dzinkin

If Viacom bought GSN...
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2005, 11:02:45 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'May 30 2005, 04:28 AM\']What is it with the cult of children who MUST have their credits un-squeezed? Seriously, am I not getting it? What's the big deal?
[snapback]86994[/snapback]
[/quote]
Better watch it, Matt... I hear that after credits and original commercials, the next thing to get squeezed out will be weather guys.  The sports guys will be kicked out next, and soon local newscasts will consist of just one anchor holding up a huge logo for the whole program.

(Checking watch... how long before one of the credit critters asks me "is this really true?")

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
If Viacom bought GSN...
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2005, 11:49:12 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'May 30 2005, 10:02 AM\'](Checking watch... how long before one of the credit critters asks me "is this really true?")
[snapback]87012[/snapback]
[/quote]
Is this really true?

47 minutes.  :)

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Doug
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 11:50:15 AM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

dzinkin

If Viacom bought GSN...
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2005, 11:59:38 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'May 30 2005, 11:49 AM\'][quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'May 30 2005, 10:02 AM\'](Checking watch... how long before one of the credit critters asks me "is this really true?")
[/quote]
Is this really true?

47 minutes.  :)

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
[snapback]87015[/snapback]
[/quote]
Doesn't count, Doug.  You are not, nor have you ever been, a credit critter. :-P

Mario500

If Viacom bought GSN...
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2005, 12:39:01 PM »
When I began taping programs for personal viewings in the early 1990s, there were very few on-screen graphics appearing at some point of a show. Long after the TV rating system was put in place in 1996, I began taping programs without the opening credits, mainly to save recording space on a VHS tape. Now that the rating logos have become larger, they are no longer any different from the animated graphics, large logos, tickers, and "split-screen credits" that make up television today. A company such as Viacom must first realize that many viewers in general, not just the so-called cults and "fanbois", simply want to view the program without interruption. Digital video discs shouldn't be the only way we view shows (especially game shows with hundreds or thousands of shows) without interruption nowadays, the same should remain when it comes to television.

Hopefully the next generation of TV viewers will realize that most of these on-screen "bugs" enforced by large companies like Viacom were not a necessity before their time and should tell the people behind the station that "enough it enough".

dzinkin

If Viacom bought GSN...
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2005, 12:55:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Mario500\' date=\'May 30 2005, 12:39 PM\']Hopefully the next generation of TV viewers will realize that most of these on-screen "bugs" enforced by large companies like Viacom were not a necessity before their time and should tell the people behind the station that "enough it enough".
[snapback]87020[/snapback]
[/quote]
Hopefully you will realize that there's no way that what you want is ever going to happen, because there's too much money at stake and too few people who care.

(And hopefully the rest of this board will realize that since Mario500 doesn't and never will care about reality, there really is no need to turn this into another 50-page "bash the clueless credit critter" thread.)

Jimmy Owen

If Viacom bought GSN...
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2005, 12:58:13 PM »
Yeah, the Cullen Pyramid would be good to see.

tvwxman

If Viacom bought GSN...
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2005, 03:02:51 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'May 30 2005, 10:02 AM\'](Checking watch... how long before one of the credit critters asks me "is this really true?")
[/quote]

The correct answer, boys and girl, was 1:37.

Now back to me reviewing data on the "Pizza Hut Storm Team Doppler...now 2 Pepperoni Pizzas for $9.99"!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 03:03:25 PM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

GS Warehouse

If Viacom bought GSN...
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2005, 05:52:38 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'May 30 2005, 02:02 PM\']Now back to me reviewing data on the "Pizza Hut Storm Team Doppler...now 2 Pepperoni Pizzas for $9.99"!
[snapback]87045[/snapback]
[/quote]
I fear that may be closer to reality than we think.

GSN doesn't do this as often as they used to, but sometimes they'd jump from commercials right to promos, which are essentially commercials to Joe Sixpack.  By the half-hour, he's found something else to get his attention--at least until the next set of commercials sends him for the remote again.  The only way cable networks are going to make any kind of sufficient ad revenue without compressing or editing is to actually put the commercials within the show, by split-screen and crawl or something.  Again, this day will come.  (No, the in-show promos we have now don't count because networks receive nothing for telling viewers what's on two weeks from Thursday at 5:38am.)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 05:54:20 PM by GS Warehouse »

tvwxman

If Viacom bought GSN...
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2005, 07:21:00 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'May 30 2005, 04:52 PM\']  The only way cable networks are going to make any kind of sufficient ad revenue without compressing or editing is to actually put the commercials within the show, by split-screen and crawl or something.  Again, this day will come.  (No, the in-show promos we have now don't count because networks receive nothing for telling viewers what's on two weeks from Thursday at 5:38am.)
[snapback]87071[/snapback]
[/quote]

Already happened. 1995 : The Dana Carvey Mug Root Beer Comedy Show. ABC Primetime. Lasted less than 13 weeks I recall....

Dog Eat Dog : "Lets check out the Circuit City Big Screen..."

Survivor : What ISN'T Product placement there? Same as Trumps show.

And yes, MANY Local news stations have sponsors for their Radars to offset the cost....Our Snow Storm Watch ticker (you know, school/bingo night cancellations ) is sponsored, as is our nightly sports ticker. It's ALL revenue in the end....
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
If Viacom bought GSN...
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2005, 07:30:04 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'May 30 2005, 04:21 PM\']Dog Eat Dog : "Lets check out the Circuit City Big Screen..."
[/quote]
And the NetZero Clock! Don't forget the NetZero Clock! :)
Survivor : What ISN'T Product placement there? Same as Trumps show.
Which reminds me again of one of the great product-placement gaffes of all time on this last Apprentice cycle: for those who weren't watching, they signed on Domino's to sponsor a task where the contestants would invent a new pizza and sell it. Both teams happened to come up with meatball pizzas, and Trump lauded them afterward for having such an ingeniousal idea, and mentioned that Domino's would be actually selling a meatball pizza to the public.

Except it wasn't Domino's selling the meatball pizza. It was Papa John's. Oops.

Of course, Domino's was pissed, and instead of manning up and admitting his error, the following week Trump threw his contestants under the bus by essentially saying they were idiots for thinking up a meatball pizza, since it was a CHEESEBURGER pizza that The People wanted, which of course was the pizza Domino's was pimping.

Yeah, that's a quality I want in _MY_ boss. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

If Viacom bought GSN...
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2005, 07:40:27 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'May 30 2005, 09:13 AM\'][quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'May 30 2005, 04:28 AM\']
What is it with the cult of children who MUST have their credits un-squeezed? Seriously, am I not getting it? What's the big deal?
[snapback]86994[/snapback]
[/quote]
They envy we older folk who were raised on shows with full opening themes, full closing themes, no bugs in the corner, cool ticket plugs, and want their TV like that, too!!
[snapback]87004[/snapback]
[/quote]
Of the leventy billion channels on my digital signal, only American Life TV (nee Nostalgia and GoodLife) runs the closing bills unscathed--not even an off-screen network announcer's voice is heard. BBC America even began playing The Squeeze Back Game some months ago.
But if you have ALTV and want that end theme to Harry O untouched, they've got it for you.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 07:41:19 PM by Don Howard »