Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Least Emotional GS Hosts...  (Read 11539 times)

ChuckNet

Least Emotional GS Hosts...
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2005, 09:42:06 PM »
An ATGS post in 2000 states that Chris Jaunsen had an interview with HR78-80 co-host Becky Price, also a girlfriend of Alex at the time(supposedly helped to break up his first marriage). Becky says that Trebek was not drunk, and just acted goofy.

Oh, and don't ask Trebek if he was drunk during an audience Q&A session at J!...as one of our regs found out the hard way, he'll get aloof and pissy, much like George Lucas when asked about the God-awful "Star Wars Holiday Special".

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2005, 09:48:15 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jun 1 2005, 06:42 PM\']Oh, and don't ask Trebek if he was drunk during an audience Q&A session at J!...as one of our regs found out the hard way, he'll get aloof and pissy
[/quote]
I'd get aloof and pissy too if someone was dumbass enough to ask about idiotic false rumors about being drunk on TV.

I mean, really, think for a second, what kind of response did they expect? I applaud him for not using four-letter words.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

johnnya2k3

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2005, 03:04:34 AM »
[quote name=\'gwarman2005\' date=\'May 31 2005, 06:00 PM\']I think one of the best goodbyes was Bruce Forsythe's on Hot Streak.  Taking the time to thank the American work ethic and what not.  It was really classy.
[snapback]87306[/snapback]
[/quote]
And I guess one of the worst was Ray Combs on his last (syndicated) Family Feud. His "goodbye" was something like "You know, it's a damn fine way to go out" after the contestant got zero points in Fast Money. After the final break both families were on stage, but Ray had already exited the studio; no goodbye or "thanks for six fun years on the Feud; see you next time" from him.

Of course Ray getting replaced by Richard Dawson (which did nothing to Feud's sagging ratings) would be the beginning of the end for him.

Jonathan Allen

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2005, 03:18:32 AM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 02:04 AM\']"thanks for six fun years on the Feud; see you next time" from him.
[/quote]
He got fired.
What "next time"?

I don't expect to be cheery when I get my first pinkslip either.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

johnnya2k3

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2005, 05:46:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Jun 1 2005, 11:18 PM\'][quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 02:04 AM\']"thanks for six fun years on the Feud; see you next time" from him.
[/quote]
He got fired.
What "next time"?
[snapback]87460[/snapback]
[/quote]
He meant "in reruns."

But yes, Ray's firing from Feud would lead to his car accident, the end of his marriage, the closing of his two Cincinnati comedy clubs, foreclosure of his house, the disastrous "Family Challenge", and of course, his suicide.

Jonathan Allen

sshuffield70

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2005, 09:14:59 AM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 04:46 AM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Jun 1 2005, 11:18 PM\'][quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 02:04 AM\']"thanks for six fun years on the Feud; see you next time" from him.
[/quote]
He got fired.
What "next time"?
[snapback]87460[/snapback]
[/quote]
He meant "in reruns."

But yes, Ray's firing from Feud would lead to his car accident, the end of his marriage, the closing of his two Cincinnati comedy clubs, foreclosure of his house, the disastrous "Family Challenge", and of course, his suicide.

Jonathan Allen
[snapback]87464[/snapback]
[/quote]

......which was 9 years ago today.

Don Howard

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2005, 12:24:09 PM »
Allen Ludden at the end of CBS Password. But, boy, did he make up for it at the finish of the ABC version. One of the best sign-offs ever.
Plus, Steve Allen at the close of 1960s I've Got A Secret. It was more like, "Let's get this over with".

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2005, 12:36:13 PM »
As far as IGAS, there was some ambiguity that the show was indeed over, so a quick farewell segment was tacked to a previously taped show. CBS pulled the show rather abruptly in mid-season. I'd agree that it wasn't a "proper goodbye" after such a long run.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 12:39:02 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2005, 12:43:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 11:24 AM\']Allen Ludden at the end of CBS Password. But, boy, did he make up for it at the finish of the ABC version. One of the best sign-offs ever.
Plus, Steve Allen at the close of 1960s I've Got A Secret. It was more like, "Let's get this over with".
[snapback]87486[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ludden may've been more loquacious on what actually aired on the network, but we'll never really know since what we see today are the edited-for-syndication versions.

There were other circumstances about "IGAS"' ending, but it's no secret that Allen considered the gig strictly a clock-puncher, if a clock-puncher requiring several transcontinental airplane flights a year.  I think Garry Moore always kept in mind that even though the variety show was more prestigious (while still popular), "IGAS" was the breadwinner in the household, especially after he got a piece of the show.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2005, 12:44:54 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 1 2005, 08:48 PM\'][quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jun 1 2005, 06:42 PM\']Oh, and don't ask Trebek if he was drunk during an audience Q&A session at J!...as one of our regs found out the hard way, he'll get aloof and pissy
[/quote]
I'd get aloof and pissy too if someone was dumbass enough to ask about idiotic false rumors about being drunk on TV.

I mean, really, think for a second, what kind of response did they expect? I applaud him for not using four-letter words.
[snapback]87436[/snapback]
[/quote]

Honestly, I was expecting a "No, here's what happened..." chuckling anecdote, i.e. something an old comedian named Morty would talk about on some nostalgia special. The logic I was using then escapes me but I was thinking Alex might have actually known about the rumor.

dzinkin

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2005, 01:31:05 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 1 2005, 09:48 PM\'][quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jun 1 2005, 06:42 PM\']Oh, and don't ask Trebek if he was drunk during an audience Q&A session at J!...as one of our regs found out the hard way, he'll get aloof and pissy
[/quote]

[snapback]87436[/snapback]
[/quote]
During a break in the J! ToC taping in Atlanta some years back, I raised my hand to ask Trebek a question.  It wasn't that question, but nevertheless Randy immediately turned pale, thinking that it was... so I briefly considered asking it anyway, just to see Randy's (and Trebek's) reaction. :-)  I refrained.

Randy told me afterward that "someone" had asked it but he never said who it was... guess that mystery's solved.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 01:31:43 PM by dzinkin »

clemon79

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2005, 02:20:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 09:44 AM\']Honestly, I was expecting a "No, here's what happened..."
[/quote]
"Here's what happened?" Nothing happened. HE WASN'T DRUNK.

Headline: "TREBEK DENIES BEING DRUNK ON 'ROLLERS' FINALE"

"Have you stopped beating your wife?"

The correct answer is what he did: ignore that someone was so dense, insulting, and disrespectful as to ask the question to start with.

saussage

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2005, 07:42:58 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 01:20 PM\'][quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 09:44 AM\']Honestly, I was expecting a "No, here's what happened..."
[/quote]
The correct answer is what he did: ignore that someone was so dense, insulting, and disrespectful as to ask the question to start with.
[snapback]87498[/snapback]
[/quote]
Even after a barrel full of years later, we still have the whole "was Alex Trebek drunk" bit? Yahn. Makes me wants to gets drunks just by the amounts of times this subject has been brought up. <hickup>

Alex and most other people (including me) would either not say a word or say how stupid it is to ask a question like that although some people on this board think that I'm hittin' the sauce quite often with the feedback I provide :)

Right clemon79? ;)
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

clemon79

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2005, 08:59:56 PM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 04:42 PM\']although some people on this board think that I'm hittin' the sauce quite often with the feedback I provide :)

Right clemon79? ;)
[/quote]
Not once have I ever thought you were intoxicated while posting.

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2005, 09:18:07 PM »
Norm Bleumenthal's "The TV Game Shows" book mentions "one famous host who shall remain nameless" who owned a piece of one show that he hosted, and when the last show was being taped, one contestant had a large payoff riding on her answer to a question, and the host's fixation on taking home more cash for himself drove him to psych her into giving a wrong answer, whereupon he delighted in her misfortune.

He never was asked to host another game show after this distasteful display of unprofessionalism.  I've often wondered who he was or what show it happened on.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel