Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN and Cablevision, NJ Division  (Read 3624 times)

Shredder

GSN and Cablevision, NJ Division
« on: May 30, 2005, 09:16:05 PM »
Can anyone in the Oakland area of NJ confirm that they received GSN when they signed up for IO Digital Cable?  It says programing varies by area, so I don't know if it's a confirmed get when upgrading..

We're paying the same amount now for regular cable, that we would be paying for IO Medium package.  If we'd get GSN in the mix finally by upgrading to IO, it might just be worth it :)...

dzinkin

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 09:26:28 PM »
Unless this is out of date, GSN's not included for Oakland subscribers.

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 11:15:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Shredder\' date=\'May 30 2005, 08:16 PM\']Can anyone in the Oakland area of NJ confirm that they received GSN when they signed up for IO Digital Cable?  It says programing varies by area, so I don't know if it's a confirmed get when upgrading..

We're paying the same amount now for regular cable, that we would be paying for IO Medium package.  If we'd get GSN in the mix finally by upgrading to IO, it might just be worth it :)...

[snapback]87111[/snapback]
[/quote]
I can even confirm this for you, because I live in Saddle Brook, and I had IO Digital for a year until March.

No, we did not have GSN. We had Nick GAS, but that was it. Not bad, but with their current lineup, you do get tired of Temple, DD 2000 and the shows they repeated constantly.

Speaking of Temple, anyone interested in helping me put together an episode guide? I've always wanted to do it, and I have a group of shows written up like I used to do it when the show was first on. But I'd need help to continue. Let me know.

(And Shredder, e-mail me, too. Want to ask you a couple things.)
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

rugrats1

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 12:52:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' date=\'May 30 2005, 10:15 PM\']We had Nick GAS, but that was it. Not bad, but with their current lineup, you do get tired of Temple, DD 2000 and the shows they repeated constantly.[/quote]

It seems that repeats are the order of the day at the Nick organisation -- all the shows that are on Nick and its associated channels (especiallty hits like SpongeBob and OddParents) are repeated endlessly, with new shows few and far between.

Even some Nick fans want Nick GAS retired (since they feel that Nick isn't supporting their channel as much as they did in earlier years) and replaced with a channel with a schedule rich in "Classic Nick" shows.

But, as long as kids don't care about reruns (according to the Nick brass), Nick won't budge from its "mostly-reruns" policy anytime soon.

Shredder

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 05:14:41 PM »
Does anyone know why this is the case?  Why is Oakland left out while everyone else gets it?

inturnaround

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 07:12:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Shredder\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 05:14 PM\']Does anyone know why this is the case?  Why is Oakland left out while everyone else gets it?
[snapback]87514[/snapback]
[/quote]

Occasionally cable companies sign contracts with channels that cover only so many houses passed (potential houses that can get the service). When that number of homes is reached, the MSO (the cable company) won't put it on anywhere else because 1) they're not contracted to do so and 2) they won't be compensated for it.

Bandwidth considerations may also have come into play in the initial decision, too. If, when the GSN allocation was assigned, your system was at capacity for channels or close to it, it may have been passed over.
Joe Coughlin     
Human