Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shows that got a revival, extra season  (Read 5581 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Shows that got a revival, extra season
« on: May 31, 2005, 10:43:07 AM »
Can you think of a show that got revived, or an extra season that you don't think should have?

The one that comes to mind is Battlestars. It was off the air, and back within a year; and lasted just another 13 or so weeks.  Were the shows the filled the slot inbetween runs *that* bad?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Ian Wallis

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 11:01:46 AM »
The one that comes to mind is Battlestars. It was off the air, and back within a year; and lasted just another 13 or so weeks. Were the shows the filled the slot inbetween runs *that* bad?

I don't know if it's a case of the shows that filled the slots being *that* bad, or maybe "Battlestars" being *that* good.  It reportedly had pretty decent ratings when it was axed for the soap "Texas" in early 1982.  Sometimes networks try to make up for premature cancellations and it almost never works.  The show "Battlestars" replaced was Betty White's "Just Men", which was never seen in my area due to Noon newscasts on both NBC affiliates.  Although Betty was a good host, I didn't really miss much...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 11:05:14 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'May 31 2005, 10:43 AM\']Can you think of a show that got revived, or an extra season that you don't think should have?[/quote]
The Jim Caldwell season of Tic Tac Dough always struck me as an act of Barry-Enright desperation.  Naturally, I don't feel the same way about the replacement host on The Joker's Wild.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

zachhoran

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 11:10:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'May 31 2005, 10:05 AM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'May 31 2005, 10:43 AM\']Can you think of a show that got revived, or an extra season that you don't think should have?[/quote]
The Jim Caldwell season of Tic Tac Dough always struck me as an act of Barry-Enright desperation.  Naturally, I don't feel the same way about the replacement host on The Joker's Wild.
[snapback]87172[/snapback]
[/quote]

The ratings for both shows were in the dumper by the 1984-85 season. Those shows getting renewed for 1985-86 and Feud, which was still a top 10 show in syndication despite Wheel slaughtering it, not getting renewed is surprising.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 12:04:42 PM »
"Magnificent Marble Machine."  It was cancelled in January of 76 for a couple of weeks, brought back, scheduled to go off in April of 76 in favor of "The Fun Factory," but given a reprieve when a NABET strike caused the postponement of the new production, with reruns filling the time before finally going off in June of 76.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 12:22:46 PM »
Those shows getting renewed for 1985-86 and Feud, which was still a top 10 show in syndication despite Wheel slaughtering it, not getting renewed is surprising.

How about the last year of the daytime version of "Feud".  Dawson even says on the finale that the ratings had dropped and they probably kept on the air a year longer than they should have been.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 12:27:59 PM »
I'm thinking Wheel. I read somewhere that the show limped along in the early-80s, despite being NBC's top game (and at one point their ONLY game), but still got chance after chance, and then the Kings took the gamble on the syndie version, which was turned down by two or three syndicators.

Add to that Street Smarts. The fact that the show made it to five seasons with barely any promotion and late nite slots in several markets says a lot, considering I don't think the show's ratings were any better than Pyramid, a show whose ratings went up and still got the hatchet.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 12:32:30 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 12:28:54 PM »
You could make the argument that daytime WoF could have been launched after the Rolf experiment (even with Goen being a more competent host, which isn't saying much, the slashing of the prize budget and shifting back to NBC after moving over to CBS prolly didn't help its cause).

EDIT:  Brandon and I had the same thought at roughly the same time, but for completely different reasons.  Great minds. . . (although one of us doesn't really qualify in that department and it's not him ;-) ).

Doug
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 12:31:37 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

WhammyPower

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 06:06:47 PM »
Louie and/or Karn Feud.

Winkfan

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 06:44:39 PM »
Add to that Street Smarts. The fact that the show made it to five seasons with barely any promotion and late nite slots in several markets says a lot, considering I don't think the show's ratings were any better than Pyramid, a show whose ratings went up and still got the hatchet.

Ditto for Change of Heart; nobody expected that kind of show to last five NANOSECONDS! Let alone five seasons! Thank the lord THAT nightmare is over for now.

And don't get me started on Blind Date 2005 or Elimidate, either!

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Constance McCashin of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 02:34:24 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

beau

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 06:57:23 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' date=\'May 31 2005, 05:06 PM\']Louie and/or Karn Feud.
[snapback]87242[/snapback]
[/quote]

Louie - yes.

Karn - I like him. He's no Dawson or Combs, but he's not as bad as Louie was.

ChuckNet

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 07:14:06 PM »
How about the last year of the daytime version of "Feud". Dawson even says on the finale that the ratings had dropped and they probably kept on the air a year longer than they should have been.

Indeed...two of the shows under consideration as possible replacements for FF were M'ama non M'ama (the pilots for which are on the trading circuit) and Lucky Numbers (an early version of All-Star Blitz w/a format closer to Battlestars, not to be confused w/the High Rollers revival pilots of the same name from 1985).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

zachhoran

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2005, 07:43:03 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'May 31 2005, 06:14 PM\']

Indeed...two of the shows under consideration as possible replacements for FF were M'ama non M'ama (the pilots for which are on the trading circuit) and Lucky Numbers (an early version of All-Star Blitz w/a format closer to Battlestars, not to be confused w/the High Rollers revival pilots of the same name from 1985).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
[snapback]87254[/snapback]
[/quote]

That pre-ASB pilot was called Hot Numbers.

tyshaun1

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2005, 08:54:14 PM »
Even though we got the Larson rematch and it improved overall, Whammy! That first season was just....so.....bad. Plus, the ratings were lousy and remained lousy through the 2nd year.

IMO, Card Sharks w/ Eubanks should have been put out of its misery along with the return of Pyramid in '88. The show was really starting to drag by then (hell, watching the show now, looks like everyone is/about to fall asleep), on top of that, it was getting CREAMED by Concentration by that point.

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 08:54:46 PM by tyshaun1 »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2005, 09:08:14 PM »
How about the last season of the Bergeron Squares? In my humblest of humble opinions, if the show was going to go out, why didn't the syndicators just can it after the 02-03 season? It wouldn't have been such a bad way to go out, I think- not like the monstrosity of the final season.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022