Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GS Host question  (Read 5840 times)

kurtinrod62

GS Host question
« on: June 01, 2005, 12:20:41 PM »
The clip of the infamous Art James-peanut butter incident had me wondering, when did the practice of game show hosts doing commercials within the body of the program cease?

TwoInchQuad

GS Host question
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 12:27:02 PM »
I've seen them in shows through the late 60's, though they were rare by 1969.  Off the top of my head, I can't think of any from a major network series in the 70's.

Anybody else got any ideas?

-Kevin

Jimmy Owen

GS Host question
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 12:28:05 PM »
They ceased after the Nonesuch Mincemeat incident in 72 on JG's $ale.

Not a game show, but Dick Clark would do Clearasil and chewing gum commercials from his podium on "American Bandstand" through the 80's
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 12:37:51 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

MikeK

• Martha!
GS Host question
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 12:49:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 1 2005, 12:28 PM\']They ceased after the Nonesuch Mincemeat incident in 72 on JG's $ale.[/quote]

I haven't heard about this.  Can you please elaborate, Jim?

Jimmy Owen

GS Host question
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 12:58:45 PM »
There was an ad promotion on NBC where all the hosts would do "endorsements" within the show.  As I recall, Bill Cullen did one for St. Mary's towels, Joe for Nonesuch Mincemeat, etc.  These were all pre-taped, but unfortunately for Joe, a blown take with profanity made it on the air, which I happened to witness while watching the show with my mom. We were both taken aback. Though it was a technician's error, Joe apologized profusely for it the next morning both on the "Today" show and "$ale."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

GS Host question
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 02:46:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 1 2005, 11:58 AM\']There was an ad promotion on NBC where all the hosts would do "endorsements" within the show.  As I recall, Bill Cullen did one for St. Mary's towels, Joe for Nonesuch Mincemeat, etc.  These were all pre-taped, but unfortunately for Joe, a blown take with profanity made it on the air, which I happened to witness while watching the show with my mom. We were both taken aback. Though it was a technician's error, Joe apologized profusely for it the next morning both on the "Today" show and "$ale."
[snapback]87382[/snapback]
[/quote]

To be exact, as the screen went black--"Jesus Christ!  Sorry, guys."  If it was "The Catholic Hour," Joe may've had an out.

And Bob Clayton's Beltone hearing aid pitch from the "Concentration" podium ran on other NBC daytime shows for several years after "Concentration" left the network.

The last host commercial I can remember was on "LMAD."  I don't remember the product, but it was one of the few times you heard Carol Merrill speak, as she did the bulk of the pitch, with Monty doing the front and the tag.

JCGames

GS Host question
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 09:28:04 PM »
I too remember Bob Clayton's Beltone commercial. I would see it on a show like Hollywood Squares.

I also seem to remember Gene Rayburn doing commercial lead-ins on the NBC Match Game. For example, he'd say before a French's mustard commercial, "We'll continue the game after this message from the R.T. French Company."

I also seem to recall that at the end of GE College Bowl, Robert Earle would say 'Progress Is Our Most Important Product" before signing off.

ChuckNet

GS Host question
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 09:35:02 PM »
I also seem to remember Gene Rayburn doing commercial lead-ins on the NBC Match Game. For example, he'd say before a French's mustard commercial, "We'll continue the game after this message from the R.T. French Company."

Peter Marshall did that in early eps of HS, as well.

And here's something interesting: While not a "commercial within the show", I recall Dick Clark doing an ad for Care-Free Gum around 1987 that was taped on the set of American Bandstand...kinda struck me as a throwback to that old practice.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

BrandonFG

GS Host question
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 12:51:20 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jun 1 2005, 08:35 PM\']

Peter Marshall did that in early eps of HS, as well.

And here's something interesting: While not a "commercial within the show", I recall Dick Clark doing an ad for Care-Free Gum around 1987 that was taped on the set of American Bandstand...kinda struck me as a throwback to that old practice.
[snapback]87433[/snapback]
[/quote]

Also not a game show, but I remember Jay Leno doing mini-commercials for products on The Tonight Show c. 1997 or 98, maybe even more recently than that. He'd do a small plug, then during break, a longer commercial was shown.

ObGameShow: Leno did Marshall HSq.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

sshuffield70

GS Host question
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 09:18:34 AM »
Carson would do that as well, and both were for new sponsors.  I know what you're talking about, but it doesn't fit with what the OP asked.  He's asking about complete commercials embedded within a show.

tvrandywest

GS Host question
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 11:00:55 AM »
Live commercials were standard TV. Some of the most successful personalities got work because of their pitch skills - Arthur Godfrey was considered the best salesman on all of television. Jack Narz was a successful pitchman. Dennis James was a master salesman who worked for Old Gold cigarettes for years.

Originally, when the programs were owned by the sponsors, many shows had two announcers - one the program announcer and the other the commercial announcer. Don Morrow told me a fun story about when he was commercial announcer on a game show where Don Pardo was the program announcer. Originally there was much confusion between the Dons.

When the networks took ownership and control of the programs, the hosts and program announcers started to deliver the live spots. Remember Ed McMahon hawking Alpo on the Tonight show? Talent was usually paid handsomely for the job. Even staff announcers on salary with the networks would receive added talent fees for live commercial reads. The live spot was the darling of the network sales people because the time could be sold at a premium.

As mentioned, the practice gave way to the host holding the product and intro'ing the commercial before finally being eliminated.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
GS Host question
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 11:06:38 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 10:00 AM\']Remember Ed McMahon hawking Alpo on the Tonight show? Talent was usually paid handsomely for the job.
[snapback]87481[/snapback]
[/quote]
I always wondered if Johnny got a little extra residual for playing the role of "dog" in one of those classic spots.  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

uncamark

GS Host question
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 11:36:42 AM »
In fact, the Clayton commercial had such a long run on NBC it survived a set redo on "Concentration."  You'd see Bob toss to the break from his current podium and then the Beltone spot would come up with a different backdrop and a different color scheme on the podium.

DjohnsonCB

GS Host question
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 12:16:27 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 10:00 AM\']
When the networks took ownership and control of the programs, the hosts and program announcers started to deliver the live spots. Remember Ed McMahon hawking Alpo on the Tonight show? Talent was usually paid handsomely for the job. Even staff announcers on salary with the networks would receive added talent fees for live commercial reads. The live spot was the darling of the network sales people because the time could be sold at a premium.

As mentioned, the practice gave way to the host holding the product and intro'ing the commercial before finally being eliminated.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[snapback]87481[/snapback]
[/quote]

I recall an apparently live commercial Ed McMahon did on Carson's show for Pizza Hut in the early '70s.  He had a case of the giggles and mispronounced "pasta" as "peesta"; he must have broken up over a bit Johnny did just before going to the commercial.  Don't know if he delivered any pitches during Missing Links or Snap Judgment.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

JCGames

GS Host question
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 08:02:40 PM »
Randy mentioned that when shows were owned by sponsors, there was a program announcer and a commercial announcer. Twenty-One in the 50s had such an arrangement. Bill McCord(NBC staff announcer) was the program announcer and Bob Shephard did the live spots.....except the Geritol ones which Jack Barry himself would do. I read a transcript of the quiz scandal hearings at a college library, and during the testimony of Herbert Stempel, they ran the kinescope of the episode when Mr. Stempel finally lost to Mr. Van Doren. During the show Bill introduced the contestants and did the closing spiel, and Jack did a Geritol spot, while Bob did a pitch for a product called Zarumin, which supposedly relieved aches and pains. IIRC, I think he also did a Sominex spot near the end of the show.

I wonder if this is the same Bob Shephard who is the longtime PA annoucer for the Yankees?