Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bergeron sighting  (Read 4770 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bergeron sighting
« on: June 02, 2005, 12:02:33 AM »
Our Man Tom is one of the co-hosts of the insipid "Dancing With The Stars."

God, I hope they are paying him a lot.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

Bergeron sighting
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 01:13:36 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 1 2005, 11:02 PM\']Our Man Tom is one of the co-hosts of the insipid "Dancing With The Stars."

God, I hope they are paying him a lot.
[snapback]87448[/snapback]
[/quote]

I only saw the promo for this, but I swear I also saw John O'Hurley in the commercial, no?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bergeron sighting
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 01:39:09 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jun 1 2005, 10:13 PM\']I only saw the promo for this, but I swear I also saw John O'Hurley in the commercial, no?
[/quote]
You did; he was one of the contestants. He didn't do badly, but his partner did most of the heavy lifting.

(Yeah, I watched it. Bergeron is to be commended for realizing that the "Survivor of ballroom dancing" is a bit silly as a concept and playing it up as such, without insulting any of the contestants and judges.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
Bergeron sighting
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 01:58:30 AM »
Sounds like he's treating it as exactly he should: a gig. No more, no less. Just another credit for the resume....

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Bergeron sighting
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 02:16:01 AM »
While that's true, from what I saw it wasn't 'just a gig' to him.  He gave it it's due.  I can understand if he doesn't play it serious, because it's not his style, but to say 'it's just a gig' is a discredit to him.

(Which isn't what you meant by that, I'm pretty sure.  I just wanted to clarify.)
Travis L. Eberle

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
Bergeron sighting
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 05:56:40 AM »
Well, to elaborate and try to get on the same track here...

I have no doubt whatsoever in Tom's abilities. I in fact kept my dial on this show from about :33-ish till just about the end of the show because I'm a fan of his quips (which dates back to HS/H2).

I should have clarified that earlier... but alas, now you know.

goongas

Bergeron sighting
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 08:21:07 AM »
I watched this show.  It seemed to be a parody of reality talent competitions.  In any event, I think Tom proved to me tonight that he is one of the more underrated hosts on television.  On many different shows where he has been the host he does very well, IMHO.

Jimmy Owen

Bergeron sighting
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 09:51:29 AM »
What a coincidence that most of the latter-day TTTT host happen to be darn fine dancers.  Garry Moore and his soft-shoe routines, Robin Ward could have shown Travolta a thing or two on the disco floor, Lynn Swann, the Baryshnikov (sp?) of football and John O'Hurley, proving to be the crown prince of the ballroom.  Not to mention contestant Randy West, the '90's "King of Swing"
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

Bergeron sighting
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 11:29:46 AM »
And it won its time slot last nght, so Tom may have this on his schedule for a while.

For anyone who could tell--is that "TWL" announcer Jon Briggs doing the announcing?  No long roll due to running late, but it sounded a little like him.  (Since it seems that the same BBC production team is doing the American version, I'm not surprised--I would also assume that the two British-sounding judges also do "Strictly Come Dancing.")

And did Brucie have a co-host in the first UK season?  I know that Natasha Kaprinsky co-hosted the second season after winning the first season without runing her credibility as co-anchor of BBC "Breakfast" (if any), so there is a precedent for Lisa Canning's role.

The Pyramids

Bergeron sighting
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 06:45:55 PM »
The show did well. If it builds momemtem I think its great that Tom will get the exposure.

Brig Bother

Bergeron sighting
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 07:20:44 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 03:29 PM\']And did Brucie have a co-host in the first UK season?  I know that Natasha Kaprinsky co-hosted the second season after winning the first season without runing her credibility as co-anchor of BBC "Breakfast" (if any), so there is a precedent for Lisa Canning's role.
[snapback]87483[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes: Tess Daly.

UKGameshows.com synopsis

See also Strictly Dance Fever, which is the same idea but with civilians and a £50,000 prize hosted by Graham Norton. It's not doing nearly as well in the ratings though.

vtown7

Bergeron sighting
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005, 06:48:46 AM »
While we're on the topic, was that the announcer from UK Winning Lines on "Dancing with the Stars"?

Brig Bother

Bergeron sighting
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005, 07:16:12 AM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Jun 3 2005, 10:48 AM\']While we're on the topic, was that the announcer from UK Winning Lines on "Dancing with the Stars"?
[snapback]87632[/snapback]
[/quote]

Quite possibly, Alan Deddicoat was the v/o for Strictly Come Dancing as well.

uncamark

Bergeron sighting
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 12:18:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'Jun 3 2005, 06:16 AM\'][quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Jun 3 2005, 10:48 AM\']While we're on the topic, was that the announcer from UK Winning Lines on "Dancing with the Stars"?
[snapback]87632[/snapback]
[/quote]

Quite possibly, Alan Deddicoat was the v/o for Strictly Come Dancing as well.
[snapback]87633[/snapback]
[/quote]

Or "The Voice of the Balls," as Terry Wogan calls him (referring to his lottery work).  Alan is/was a newscaster on Terry's BBC Radio 2 morning show, alternating with Fran Godfrey, Terry's own favorite.  Damn good newscaster, too.

And in checking the ukgameshows.com page, Bruno and Len from the UK version are two-thirds of the panel of judges on "Dancing With the Stars"--the third woman's a Yank.