Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Home Games...  (Read 12428 times)

TimK2003

Home Games...
« on: June 03, 2005, 10:35:53 AM »
Many of the most popular game show of the 50s-70s had come out with at least one version of their home games...

Of those home games, which ones were actually given a live plug on their show and which ones showed up on the toy store shelves without warning?

And now, from my foggy memory:

Never Plugged Their Home Games On-Air:

The Price Is Right -- Barker version

Plugged Their Home Games On-Air:

Blockbusters (Cullen)
The Jokers Wild (Barry CBS)
Family Feud (Dawson)
Hollywood Squares (Marshall)

Others?

zachhoran

Home Games...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 10:56:33 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Jun 3 2005, 09:35 AM\']

Blockbusters (Cullen)
Family Feud (Dawson)

Others?
[snapback]87645[/snapback]
[/quote]

The 70s TPIR home game(s) was/were plugged on the nighttime TPIR I believe. The 1986 home game never got a plug. The most recent Endless Games TPIR version got a plug...... yesterday as part of the collection of Endless Games prize in Any Number.

MGPM plug the third edition of MG7x home game. Combs Feud had the families holding the first and Bullseye editions of the home game. Davidson HS plugged both the box game from that era and the Gametek game, plus they plugged home games of other shows in their first season as a gag gift for losing contestants. Jay Stewart plugged the 70s TTD home early in the Syndie TTD run. Millionaire in the Regis era plugged both the box and computer games. Classic Concentration plugged their home game on air.

jw2001

Home Games...
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 11:00:18 AM »
They actually did promote the home game of The Price Is Right in a showcase once.  The episode, which was taped anywhere between the mid-to-late 70s, aired several years ago on GSN.  I can't remember exactly what the showcase was about...anyone with a greater knowledge of TPIR have an idea regarding that particular showcase?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 11:03:58 AM by jw2001 »

DjohnsonCB

Home Games...
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 11:13:26 AM »
[quote name=\'jw2001\' date=\'Jun 3 2005, 10:00 AM\']They actually did promote the home game of The Price Is Right in a showcase once.  The episode, which was taped anywhere between the mid-to-late 70s, aired several years ago on GSN.  I can't remember exactly what the showcase was about...anyone with a greater knowledge of TPIR have an idea regarding that particular showcase?
[snapback]87649[/snapback]
[/quote]

It was, I'm sure, on one of the Dennis James shows.  The showcase had items for a game room, such as (perhaps) a pinball machine and that carpeting that had game-play surface patterns, plus all the implements for playing.  They showed the first edition of TPIR (called the New Price Is Right) as the last item.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Don Howard

Home Games...
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 11:15:19 AM »
Jim Perry mentioned the home version to $ale of the Century many times in 1987. Even showed it on camera.
The voice of Johnny Gilbert mentioned the "Pyramid home game" at the end of the CBS shows in the late 1980s.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 11:16:32 AM by Don Howard »

DjohnsonCB

Home Games...
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 11:19:36 AM »
Other shows which plugged their home games:

The 1960's NBC Match Game (not the CBS version IIRC)
You Don't Say!
J! with Art Fleming
Shenanigans
Call My Bluff
The Newlywed Game
Concentration w/Hugh Downs
Password
$1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime
BTC w/Jack Narz
$128,000 Question
Word For Word
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

zachhoran

Home Games...
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 11:21:02 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jun 3 2005, 10:15 AM\']Jim Perry mentioned the home version to $ale of the Century many times in 1987. Even showed it on camera.
The voice of Johnny Gilbert mentioned the "Pyramid home game" at the end of the CBS shows in the late 1980s.
[snapback]87653[/snapback]
[/quote]

The $otC home game had its own commercial, which was seen on at least two other game shows, PYL and TPIR, in Summer 1986.

WOolery plugged the TV Scrabble home game in 1987 on-air.

The Pressman and Tyco WOF and J! games were plugged on air in the 80s and 90s, as were computer software games, the Jeopardy! challenger and WOF TV Play along hand held devices.

Fun House, Nick and syndie Double Dare, and Nick and Syndie Finders Keepers also plugged home games on air.

WIn Lose or Draw usually had Bert Convy plug the home game at the end of the show.

Bob Zager

Home Games...
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 11:34:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jun 3 2005, 10:15 AM\']The voice of Johnny Gilbert mentioned the "Pyramid home game" at the end of the CBS shows in the late 1980s.
[snapback]87653[/snapback]
[/quote]

After the show returned to CBS, following Blackout's demise, Johnny Gilbert would say, "all of our players will receive a copy of the Pyramid box game, or the home computer game."

The syndicated $100,000 Pyramid plugged the box game as well, but also showed the box art.

One show that plugged a home game version every week, but apparently never showed up on store shelves was Runaround.  It was licensed by Lakeside Toy Co.   I've tried to find out if there might be any company catalog in existence, showing what the game (box alone, or prototype contents) was going to look like.  IIRC, it was supposed to be an "electric" game, and I've assumed in more recent years that it may not have been released because of safety issues, and not simply because the show was cancelled after just one season.

Jimmy Owen

Home Games...
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 11:47:06 AM »
You could probably replicate the "Runaround" game by going to a rummage sale and getting one of those electric football games everybody once had.  Set everybody up at the 50 yard line and ask the question, turn on the machine and make the 10, 20 and 30 yard lines represent choice 1, 2 and 3.  

Did Bob Kennedy promote the "Window Shopping" home game on the show?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Don Howard

Home Games...
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 12:01:50 PM »
Can't believe I forgot this one. Tamster, where were you?
Bud Collyer plugged the stuffing out of the Beat The Clock home editions.

JIANORAN

Home Games...
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 12:39:27 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 3 2005, 09:56 AM\'][quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Jun 3 2005, 09:35 AM\']

Blockbusters (Cullen)
Family Feud (Dawson)

Others?
[snapback]87645[/snapback]
[/quote]

The 70s TPIR home game(s) was/were plugged on the nighttime TPIR I believe. The 1986 home game never got a plug. The most recent Endless Games TPIR version got a plug...... yesterday as part of the collection of Endless Games prize in Any Number.

MGPM plug the third edition of MG7x home game. Combs Feud had the families holding the first and Bullseye editions of the home game. Davidson HS plugged both the box game from that era and the Gametek game, plus they plugged home games of other shows in their first season as a gag gift for losing contestants. Jay Stewart plugged the 70s TTD home early in the Syndie TTD run. Millionaire in the Regis era plugged both the box and computer games. Classic Concentration plugged their home game on air.
[snapback]87647[/snapback]
[/quote]

We'll i want that home game, for my graduation present.

Don Howard

Home Games...
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005, 12:43:58 PM »
[quote name=\'JIANORAN\' date=\'Jun 3 2005, 11:39 AM\']We'll i want that home game, for my graduation present.
[snapback]87671[/snapback]
[/quote]
Good to know. I'd like it for a birthday present.

tvwxman

Home Games...
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005, 01:21:38 PM »
[quote name=\'JIANORAN\' date=\'Jun 3 2005, 11:39 AM\'][
We'll i want that home game, for my graduation present.
[snapback]87671[/snapback]
[/quote]

Graduation of what? certainly it can't be grammar school...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 01:21:50 PM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

The Ol' Guy

Home Games...
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 01:49:07 PM »
Others -
Pay Cards (Super claimed to have a game, but the box didn't look different) - TPiR Cullen (ABC run/ Bid It Right game) - Masquerade Party (50s) - Say When - Your First Impression - Truth or Consequences (early 60s Lowell version) - Down You Go (automatically sent to people whose puzzles were used on the show) - Eye Guess - Seven Keys (as part of a prize showcase) - The Rebus Game (oh, if it had only made it...) - What's My Line? (50s - Arlene gave it a plug) - Name That Tune (DeWitt - at least the 2nd edition).

Did TalkAbout's game get mentioned?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Home Games...
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2005, 01:50:33 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Jun 3 2005, 12:49 PM\']Did TalkAbout's game get mentioned?
[/quote]
Yeah, it did. Someone had a video clip not to long ago when some gameshow hosts dropped by...Marc Summers and someone else....and they went on a spiel...."Why have a Talkabout game when you can have a Double Dare game?"  The next host proceeded to plug his item in front of the other two.
--Mark
Phil 4:13