Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: You Produce "Wheel"  (Read 19390 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
You Produce "Wheel"
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2005, 02:24:11 PM »
[quote name=\'wschmrdr\' date=\'Jun 10 2005, 12:39 PM\']I'm noticing a trend here......... we complain for years and years about what we think is wrong with the game show, and what usually happens? Jack Squat.
[/quote]
No one was demanding the changes be made.  Best I can tell, all ideas presented were hypoethetical.
[quote name=\'Don Howard\']Let's do. And we shall begin at once.
Here's the puzzle:[/quote]
I'd like to buy a vowel. Wait!  I have to land on that wedge first?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

uncamark

You Produce "Wheel"
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2005, 02:24:20 PM »
I have a feeling that what it all boils down to is "Do 'Wheel' like you did it in (insert date here)."  Unfortunately, that's just not going to happen.  There is a fine line between "If it ain't broke..." and keeping a long-running show fresh, but by the yardstick that counts in television, Harry Friedman hasn't crossed that line.  Of course, it Pat and Vanna left tomorrow it may be a different story, but for now "Wheel" is still a highly-rated, highly-profitable show.

And let it be noted that *Merv* knew that "Wheel" and "J!" require tow different kinds of contestants--unlike most packagers, they held off on taking the Polaroids of prospective contestants until the second interview, meaning that you could be turned down for one show and still make it on the other.  For most other packagers, those photos were for the bookers for different shows to go through the reject files and confirm that they didn't want that person on--the rule of thumb was bomb for one show, you're out for any other show from that packager.  Not at Merv's place--and obviously not at the place Harry runs for Sony.

Don Howard

You Produce "Wheel"
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2005, 02:27:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Jun 10 2005, 01:24 PM\']I'd like to buy a vowel. Wait!  I have to land on that wedge first?
[snapback]88583[/snapback]
[/quote]
No. Because under one of the new sets of rules, contestants are automatically staked $5000 before the first puzzle is played.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
You Produce "Wheel"
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2005, 02:53:14 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jun 10 2005, 08:51 AM\'][quote name=\'JIANORAN\' date=\'Jun 10 2005, 12:43 AM\']If i could make a better idea for Wheel of Fortune, here's what happened

1. Have a Stage Rush if someone wins the Jackpot in the Bonus Round or The Tournament Of Champions!
2. Bring back $1000 and $1500 and new values like $850, $725, etc.
3. Have a Scoreboard Overlay during the puzzle shot, as well as a contestant shot in the video screen
4. Bring back Double Play
5. Bring back NBA Week
6. Bring Back Soap Stars Week
7. Bring back Shopping
8. New Bonus Wheel Config (6 Car A, 6 Car B, 1 $25K, 1 $30K, 1 $35K, 1 $40K, 1 $45K,  1 $50K, 1 $55K, 1 $60K, 1 $65K,  1 $70K,  1 $75K, 1 Jackpot starts at $100,000 in $10,000 Cash and $90,000 Prizes increases 2 prizes if not won)
9. End of Season Tournament with 9 money winners return and selected to compete for the first 3 shows, top three compete for a 2 day final, no bonus rounds in the last 2 shows, winner will receive a $100,000 bonus and advances to the Jeopardy! Tournament Of Champions, rest keeps the money they won.
[snapback]88535[/snapback]
[/quote]

I thought we threw this poster under the bus......
[snapback]88549[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm sorry, I didn't see it. I just kept driving :-p
-Dave

DrBear

You Produce "Wheel"
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2005, 04:17:30 PM »
My only changes would be:
1. Cutting contestants to two instead of three.
2. Instead of having them spin the wheel, have them pick two numbers from a 30-box board and try to match prizes behind those numbers
3. Instead of solving a word puzzle, have them guess a phrase made up of pictures, such as a prisoner ("Con") a meditating Hindu ("Zen"), a tray ("Tray") and turning somebody away ("Shun") The winner is the one guessing the phrase first.
4. Have Vanna turn the boxes on the board, although they make a loud click and whirr when they turn.

I mean, if we're going to go retro, let's go RETRO!
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
You Produce "Wheel"
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2005, 04:21:42 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Jun 10 2005, 01:17 PM\']My only changes would be:
1. Cutting contestants to two instead of three.
2. Instead of having them spin the wheel, have them pick two numbers from a 30-box board and try to match prizes behind those numbers
3. Instead of solving a word puzzle, have them guess a phrase made up of pictures, such as a prisoner ("Con") a meditating Hindu ("Zen"), a tray ("Tray") and turning somebody away ("Shun") The winner is the one guessing the phrase first.
4. Have Vanna turn the boxes on the board, although they make a loud click and whirr when they turn.

I mean, if we're going to go retro, let's go RETRO!
[snapback]88605[/snapback]
[/quote]
This is the best idea I've heard yet. Except they should can Vanna and just make the whole thing electromechanical. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Clay Zambo

You Produce "Wheel"
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2005, 04:26:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Jun 9 2005, 02:36 AM\']Well, this is getting a bit off track, but I'll throw in my 3 cents.

o Ditch the toss ups. They're just wrong, because they work opposite of how Wheel normally works - all of one letter shows up at the same time.
[/quote]

I don't think that's a good enough reason to ditch them.  I'm in favor of (a) having just one, before the first round, or (II) having one before EVERY round, but let's run the letters the way they do in the maingame: all the occurences of a letter appear at once.  (Yes, yes, I know, each E  pops up separately, but all of them appear before the next different letter is revealed.)
czambo@mac.com

Unrealtor

You Produce "Wheel"
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2005, 04:40:58 PM »
About the only changes I'd make are to get contestant coordinators who realize that enthusiasm does not necessarily mean having one's volume stuck at 11. Even though I'm not thrilled with it, I'd try and freeze things close to where they are, and then take a cue from a certain other show that hasn't had a format change in almost 30 years.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."