Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Most gracious losers  (Read 7663 times)

Kevin Prather

Most gracious losers
« on: June 06, 2005, 07:59:59 PM »
Looking back on old threads, I found one regarding some more ungracious losers, but who stands out in your mind as one of the most gracious losers?

I'll start with the obvious one: Ken Jennings, and why not?

One other one that sticks out in my mind was a woman on WWTBAM this past season. She was there solely for the experience, and didn't give a flip about the money, so when she was out of lifelines and didn't know the answer, she'd just pick one. She guessed her way all the way to $250,000 and, on the $500,000 question, she blindly picked an answer again. This time, she was wrong, and it cost her $225,000.

What was amazing, though, is that she was quite possibly the least upset person in the room. She had a smile on her face the whole time, and it didn't leave her face, even when she was told she had lost. IIRC, she received a standing ovation (or maybe it was really loud applause, I don't recall 100%).

So what do you think?

Don Howard

Most gracious losers
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 08:17:46 PM »
Thom McKee on Tic Tac Dough. In fact, watching the show for the second time ever when GSN played it during FOF '02, he almost seemed relieved to be through. It seemed very much to me that Thom was sincerely wishing Erik well as the applause thundered on.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 08:18:31 PM by Don Howard »

Ian Wallis

Most gracious losers
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 08:51:02 PM »
Dan Avila on "Greed".
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Most gracious losers
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 10:55:53 PM »
Ken Jennnings and Thom McKee really don't fit the definition of 'loser' in my book.  They were gracious in victory and defeat, which is nice.

I wish I could remember the name of that woman who guessed on the $500k question this year.  Sure, she was nice enough about it, but really...guessing 'just because you want to play the game'?  I don't buy it.  

Hands down, Dan Avila.  When everyone wanted to get a quote from him about how awful it was to go for the money and miss, he wouldn't do it.  That is the mark of a gracious man who is OK with how things went down.
Travis L. Eberle

goongas

Most gracious losers
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 11:07:17 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Jun 6 2005, 09:55 PM\']Ken Jennnings and Thom McKee really don't fit the definition of 'loser' in my book.  They were gracious in victory and defeat, which is nice.

I wish I could remember the name of that woman who guessed on the $500k question this year.  Sure, she was nice enough about it, but really...guessing 'just because you want to play the game'?  I don't buy it. 

Hands down, Dan Avila.  When everyone wanted to get a quote from him about how awful it was to go for the money and miss, he wouldn't do it.  That is the mark of a gracious man who is OK with how things went down.
[snapback]88075[/snapback]
[/quote]

And to this day he does not regret his decision either.

BrandonFG

Most gracious losers
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 11:49:51 PM »
I always forget her name, but around 2000, there was an older blonde lady on ABC Millionaire that got a question about a certain Hitchcock term (I think it was for $64K), the answer was "McGuffin." She guessed wrong IIRC and went back to $32K. But she remained cool about it the whole time.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Don Howard

Most gracious losers
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 12:11:25 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Jun 6 2005, 09:55 PM\']Ken Jennings and Thom McKee really don't fit the definition of 'loser' in my book.  They were gracious in victory and defeat, which is nice.
[/quote]
Oh. Then in that case, I pass. Wait! I have received. I am a vessel.
Here's one that comes to mind. That Bill Cullen fan from mid-Michigan who was on Jeopardy! close to a year ago. Forget his name. Loved the suit.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 12:11:54 AM by Don Howard »

catkins522

Most gracious losers
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 02:23:42 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jun 6 2005, 11:11 PM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Jun 6 2005, 09:55 PM\']Ken Jennings and Thom McKee really don't fit the definition of 'loser' in my book.  They were gracious in victory and defeat, which is nice.
[/quote]
Oh. Then in that case, I pass. Wait! I have received. I am a vessel.
Here's one that comes to mind. That Bill Cullen fan from mid-Michigan who was on Jeopardy! close to a year ago. Forget his name. Loved the suit.
[snapback]88084[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hey, what about '80 $otC contestant, who was a Bill Cullen fan, that he was tied at the end of the game, but couldn't "pass the mustard" and lost.  ;-)

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

zachhoran

Most gracious losers
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 09:15:51 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jun 6 2005, 10:49 PM\']I always forget her name, but around 2000, there was an older blonde lady on ABC Millionaire that got a question about a certain Hitchcock term (I think it was for $64K), the answer was "McGuffin." She guessed wrong IIRC and went back to $32K. But she remained cool about it the whole time.
[snapback]88083[/snapback]
[/quote]

As per Jeremy Soria's update for this episode in ATGS: Judy Tigay was the lady's name, she was going for $250K on the 2/10/2000 episode. She thought Paul Mcguffin was a name used as a pseudonym when a director wants to keep their name off of the film credits. She thought Hitchcock had a Mcguffin in his movies. She guessed Paul Mcguffin but the correct answer was Alan Smithee. She went down to $32K. She was also notable in that she wanted Regis to do what Tarrant does in the UK and give the ladies a kiss when they win big.

BrandonFG

Most gracious losers
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 05:32:35 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 7 2005, 08:15 AM\']She was also notable in that she wanted Regis to do what Tarrant does in the UK and give the ladies a kiss when they win big.
[snapback]88103[/snapback]
[/quote]

How could I forget about the kiss? That's the lady. Thanks!
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

ChuckNet

Most gracious losers
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 10:31:18 PM »
One time on Super Password, there was a contestant who won $25K in the endgame...who was just as excited as she was? The contestant she'd defeated a few moments ago, who even came over and joined in the post-victory celebration.

And on the 3rd ep of Go, the winning team racked up $11K in a double-jackpot bonus round w/captain Elaine Joyce...upon returning from the final break, Kevin O'Connell commented that "sportsmanship is an important part of any game, and when Elaine and her team won the big money, I don't think anyone was as excited as the 5 members of Richard Kline's team."

Don't forget how losing contestants on Child's Play would frequently wish the champ "good luck" at the end of the game.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

zachhoran

Most gracious losers
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2005, 10:36:24 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jun 7 2005, 09:31 PM\']One time on Super Password, there was a contestant who won $25K in the endgame...who was just as excited as she was? The contestant she'd defeated a few moments ago, who even came over and joined in the post-victory celebration.

[snapback]88228[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wasn't this the February 1985 TofC? One of the participants in it, Natalie Steele, was on today's 11/27/84 episode.