Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Most Expensive Game Show Sets...  (Read 9241 times)

Kevin Prather

Most Expensive Game Show Sets...
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2005, 08:28:39 PM »
http://www.detnews.com/pix/2000/01/11/feat1.jpg

There was a staircase on both sides.

wschmrdr

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2005, 09:01:55 PM »
Do you guys think Legends of the Hidden Temple's set was expensive?

Think about it, a huge temple-like set that took up quite a bit of the stage, then you've got the moat you have to bring in, probably attached to it is the audience bleachers. Plus, all those ancient-looking trinkets must have added up.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2005, 02:40:43 AM »
[quote name=\'wschmrdr\' date=\'Jun 9 2005, 08:01 PM\']Plus, all those ancient-looking trinkets must have added up.
[/quote]
Nothing you can't make out of the bargain bin at Dollar General.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2005, 04:30:57 AM »
I'm sure Sony must have a big budget for the set of WOF.  Even though it appears simplistic in nature, there's the video monitors, the electronic puzzle board, the maingame & little bonus wheels  & oh yeah the 1.5 MILLION COLORS!

cmjb13

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2005, 06:18:57 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jun 9 2005, 05:36 PM\'][quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 9 2005, 04:22 PM\']Your memory from what source?
[snapback]88476[/snapback]
[/quote]
I distinctly recall being told before I was asked (I'm sure it was Rich) to guess how much it cost to build, that it was as much as some people make in a year. (which is where that high figure came from).

But you would know a hell of a lot better than I would.
[snapback]88480[/snapback]
[/quote]
Confrimed (more to clarify for my own sanity than questioning you) from a source that it was about $6000.

I'll admit when I'm wrong, but I'd still bet the farm, I was told a higher number than that.

Oh well.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 08:54:06 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

RobertSearcy

• Executive Producer
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2005, 08:20:02 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Jun 10 2005, 01:40 AM\'][quote name=\'wschmrdr\' date=\'Jun 9 2005, 08:01 PM\']Plus, all those ancient-looking trinkets must have added up.
[/quote]
Nothing you can't make out of the bargain bin at Dollar General.
[snapback]88540[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hell, with some of the cheap looking crap they had on there, looks like they used clearance isle at Wal-Mart (don't know about other Wal-Marts, but the ones in north GA have a clearance isle in 'em somewhere).

Anywho, back on the subject........the various sets used for Hollywood Squares (from beginning to end) seem like they woulda literally broke the bank in terms of cost and time to build.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 08:27:35 AM by RobertSearcy »
"If everyone played Stud 8, it wouldn't matter who's in the White House because this would be one happy country!" -- Norman Chad during the 2007 World Series of Poker $50K HORSE event

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2005, 10:09:31 AM »
[quote name=\'RobertSearcy\' date=\'Jun 10 2005, 08:20 AM\']Anywho, back on the subject........the various sets used for Hollywood Squares (from beginning to end) seem like they woulda literally broke the bank in terms of cost and time to build.[/quote]
Grammar Police:  I don't like to see the word "literally" used improperly.  I'm literally sick to death about it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvwxman

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2005, 10:33:27 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jun 10 2005, 09:09 AM\'][quote name=\'RobertSearcy\' date=\'Jun 10 2005, 08:20 AM\']Anywho, back on the subject........the various sets used for Hollywood Squares (from beginning to end) seem like they woulda literally broke the bank in terms of cost and time to build.[/quote]
Grammar Police:  I don't like to see the word "literally" used improperly.  I'm literally sick to death about it.
[snapback]88551[/snapback]
[/quote]

Figuratively, you're nutz. :)
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2005, 03:28:15 AM »
Randy's probably right on with TPiR's extensive costs over the years.  Think about games that have been retired/trashed over the years, as well as the huge pile of them currently in rotation.  Pathfinder is an enormous game with a complex set, and yet Magic # and 1/2 Off are the most expensive games ever built.  There's literally MILLIONS wrapped up in Price props.  The Plinko chips alone cost the show's budget about $500 a piece!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2005, 05:30:40 AM »
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' date=\'Jun 15 2005, 12:28 AM\']The Plinko chips alone cost the show's budget about $500 a piece!
[/quote]
Good Gawd. Did they install chips in them so they would leave a little digital streak behind them while they dropped?

Damn. I'm in the wrong business. I could make 'em some Plinko chips, and I'd only charge $250 per. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2005, 07:09:44 PM »
Jiminy H. Criminy! How in the HELL does one Plinko chip run up $500?

SamJ93

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2005, 07:45:03 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jun 15 2005, 07:09 PM\']Jiminy H. Criminy! How in the HELL does one Plinko chip run up $500?
[snapback]89220[/snapback]
[/quote]

Labor takes up a good portion of that cost, I'm guessing, probably much more so than parts.  Those unionized CBS shop guys don't work for cheap...

How often do Plinko chips need to be replaced, anyway?  I can't imagine all that often...probably have at least some of the same chips they had in 1983.

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2005, 08:51:27 PM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' date=\'Jun 15 2005, 06:45 PM\'][quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jun 15 2005, 07:09 PM\']Jiminy H. Criminy! How in the HELL does one Plinko chip run up $500?
[snapback]89220[/snapback]
[/quote]

Labor takes up a good portion of that cost, I'm guessing, probably much more so than parts.  Those unionized CBS shop guys don't work for cheap...

How often do Plinko chips need to be replaced, anyway?  I can't imagine all that often...probably have at least some of the same chips they had in 1983.
[snapback]89223[/snapback]
[/quote]

They've had to have changed color at least from the orginal.  And please someone explain how in the hell is Magic # and 1/2 Off the most expensive sets built?  One's a just, some lights and a reflection, the other is just a bunch of little elevators (are those *that* expensive?)

Brandon Brooks

gwarman2005

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2005, 08:52:56 PM »
How expensive was the Henry version of Now You See It?  All the mechanics with the lifting set, not to mention all the chasing light and neon.... PLUS the electronic readouts for the gameboard and electronic pen.  All that had to cost a pretty penny.

On a side note, do you think it'd be cheaper to build a set with chasers instead of all the concert/rave lights flashing around.  Sorry if this was covered in a different thread, but dammit I miss the chasing lights, lol.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2005, 09:11:37 PM »
[quote name=\'gwarman2005\' date=\'Jun 15 2005, 05:52 PM\']How expensive was the Henry version of Now You See It?  All the mechanics with the lifting set, not to mention all the chasing light and neon.... PLUS the electronic readouts for the gameboard and electronic pen.  All that had to cost a pretty penny.
[/quote]
The mechanics might have cost a few bucks. but comparitively the light pen and the gameboard would have been dirt cheap, especially because the majority of the images were prolly just done on a character generator of some kind, which they already had in the studio.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe