Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who Owns the Rights?  (Read 4393 times)

CarbonCpy

Who Owns the Rights?
« on: June 03, 2005, 03:03:06 AM »
I have a question.  Given my stubborn nature, I tried to look it up myself, but my main source (Google) hasn't cleared the air.  I mean, I managed to get a list of four possibilites, but haven't been able to whittle it down from there.  So, I've decided to turn to the collective wisdom of the GSB:  

Who owns the rights to Definition?

EDIT:  So my post doesn't seem so empty, here's the notes I've made in my research...

1. CTV, Canada's answer to ITV.  Reason?  See WML?, Twenty-One, and Concentration.

2. Glen-Warren Productions, Definition's production company (Produced a heck of a lot of shows for CTV: Starlost, The Littlest Hobo, ect).

3. Nicholson/Muir, the show's creators.  It's not unheard of for rights to revert back to a show's creators.  Not likely considering how buisness is done these days (if the music labels are any indication), but not unheard of, either.

4. Comedy "Somebody Else" option.  I don't know; somebody might've gotten suckered into a check-raise on pocket aces...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 03:05:53 AM by CarbonCpy »

snowpeck

Who Owns the Rights?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 03:22:41 AM »
Glen-Warren is the most probable choice considering they handle the distribution for The Littlest Hobo themselves.

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Craig Karlberg

Who Owns the Rights?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 04:19:03 AM »
All I can do is narrow it down to #'s 2 & 3 at this point, though CTV does make a good argument for ownership except it's a Canadian network that doesn't really "own" anything of theirs I think.

uncamark

Who Owns the Rights?
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 12:33:16 PM »
[quote name=\'CarbonCpy\' date=\'Jun 3 2005, 02:03 AM\']I have a question.  Given my stubborn nature, I tried to look it up myself, but my main source (Google) hasn't cleared the air.  I mean, I managed to get a list of four possibilites, but haven't been able to whittle it down from there.  So, I've decided to turn to the collective wisdom of the GSB: 

Who owns the rights to Definition?

EDIT:  So my post doesn't seem so empty, here's the notes I've made in my research...

1. CTV, Canada's answer to ITV.  Reason?  See WML?, Twenty-One, and Concentration.

2. Glen-Warren Productions, Definition's production company (Produced a heck of a lot of shows for CTV: Starlost, The Littlest Hobo, ect).

3. Nicholson/Muir, the show's creators.  It's not unheard of for rights to revert back to a show's creators.  Not likely considering how buisness is done these days (if the music labels are any indication), but not unheard of, either.

4. Comedy "Somebody Else" option.  I don't know; somebody might've gotten suckered into a check-raise on pocket aces...
[snapback]87619[/snapback]
[/quote]

Seems to me that CTV and Glen-Warren are now one and the same, since CTV bought out most of its big affiliates, including CFTO Toronto, to which Glen-Warren was their in-house production company.

From their web site:

CTV owns many of Canada's best-known and popular brands, with broadcasting signals covering 99 per cent of English-speaking Canadian households. Through CTV's owned-and-operated television stations across the country and affiliation agreements with three stations, CTV offers a wide range of quality news, sports, information and entertainment programming. CTV Inc. also owns ASN, a satellite television service in the Maritimes and Newfoundland and Labrador.

A few years ago, when CTV-owned The Comedy Network pulled an April Fools Day gag involving a made-up revival of "The Trouble With Tracy," an awful Canadian sitcom from the early 70s, after the hoax was revealed they stated that they picked the show because it had become a CTV property (from CFTO/Glen-Warren)--and it was bad.  The exact gag was that they taped enough footage to make a promo, sent out press releases and had the actress who agreed to be the "star" do media pimping, including a spot on CTV's own "Canada AM" with the star from the original series.  (Yes, one division of CTV hoaxed another.)  Meanwhile, nobody noticed that the announced premiere date was Apr. 1--and when the time came, TCN said "April Fools!" and ran a new episode of one of their sketch comedy shows instead.

Of course, you can do this sort of thing only once--unfortunately, they couldn't try it the next year with a revival of "Dr. Simon Locke."  :)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Who Owns the Rights?
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 12:49:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jun 3 2005, 01:19 AM\']All I can do is narrow it down to #'s 2 & 3 at this point, though CTV does make a good argument for ownership except it's a Canadian network that doesn't really "own" anything of theirs I think.
[snapback]87623[/snapback]
[/quote]
Based on....what? He's looking for fact, not ex-rectum hypothesising.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

Who Owns the Rights?
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 01:19:23 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 3 2005, 11:49 AM\'][quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jun 3 2005, 01:19 AM\']All I can do is narrow it down to #'s 2 & 3 at this point, though CTV does make a good argument for ownership except it's a Canadian network that doesn't really "own" anything of theirs I think.
[snapback]87623[/snapback]
[/quote]
Based on....what? He's looking for fact, not ex-rectum hypothesising.
[snapback]87677[/snapback]
[/quote]

Which has never stopped Craig Karlberg's middle of the night mindless drivel. YIKES!
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

inturnaround

Who Owns the Rights?
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 01:35:22 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 3 2005, 12:49 PM\']Based on....what? He's looking for fact, not ex-rectum hypothesising.
[snapback]87677[/snapback]
[/quote]

If you parse the post, he's actually saying that it can be any of the choices. So, he didn't actually say anything.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Who Owns the Rights?
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 02:01:31 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jun 3 2005, 10:35 AM\']If you parse the post, he's actually saying that it can be any of the choices. So, he didn't actually say anything.
[/quote]
Which is ALSO nothing new for Karlberg.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

Who Owns the Rights?
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 10:05:06 AM »
I am told reliably that Definition is owned by Nicholson-Muir.  Not only that, I'm told that Roger Muir has all the tapes of the show.  I didn't ask whether "all" means that the entire huge run still exists, or whether he just has "all" the surviving episodes, however many that might be.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 10:05:32 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.