Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tonight's WHEEL  (Read 5872 times)

DrJWJustice

Tonight's WHEEL
« on: June 09, 2005, 11:02:00 PM »
Did anyone here tape tonight's Wheel?  Yes, I know the overall outcome, but the local station that carries it covered over the entire bonus round and a few other segments with severe weather alerts.  What sucks is that the one covering the bonus did not have to be done at that very moment.  If you have it on your hard drive, so much the better, but any format will work.  Please e-mail or IM me if you can help me here.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 11:03:26 PM by DrJWJustice »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Tonight's WHEEL
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 11:04:27 PM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Jun 9 2005, 08:02 PM\']What sucks is that the one covering the bonus did not have to be done at that very moment.
[/quote]
Connecti-Matt, you want this one?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Chelsea Thrasher

Tonight's WHEEL
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 11:22:05 PM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Jun 9 2005, 10:02 PM\'] What sucks is that the one covering the bonus did not have to be done at that very moment. 
[/quote]

More than likely if they're choosing to cover a show that they've paid good money for  that delivers decent ratings for them, it was important enough to someone in station management to cause it to happen.  

I'm curious - was it one of the "Severe Weather Watches" that a lot of stations will run constantly from watch-start to watch-end?    Or was it something else?   Even though I'll readily admit that seeing "Severe Thunderstorm Watch for [places A-X] from [Time Y] to  [Time Z]" get old after about the 40th time, it's very likely that at least a few people missed runthroughs 1-39, so it IS news to them - and having lived in an area the past 19 years where weather goes haywire at the drop of a hat, if serious weather is being predicted, I'd like to know about it as soon as I turn on the TV - not wait for Johhny from Duluth to solve "THE CAT IN THE HAT" for $25,000

DrJWJustice

Tonight's WHEEL
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 11:29:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' date=\'Jun 9 2005, 10:22 PM\'][quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Jun 9 2005, 10:02 PM\'] What sucks is that the one covering the bonus did not have to be done at that very moment. 
[/quote]

More than likely if they're choosing to cover a show that they've paid good money for  that delivers decent ratings for them, it was important enough to someone in station management to cause it to happen.  

[snapback]88511[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm not going to argue whether it was important -- obviously the local station thought it was -- however, that was not the reasaon for my posting.  But, I will point out that our local stations usually wait for commercial breaks to go live unless it is a major problem that requires immediate broadcast.  The particular alert in question did not fit that category, IMO.

Chelsea Thrasher

Tonight's WHEEL
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 11:33:20 PM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Jun 9 2005, 10:29 PM\']

I'm not going to argue whether it was important -- obviously the local station thought it was -- however, that was not the reasaon for my posting.  But, I will point out that our local stations usually wait for commercial breaks to go live unless it is a major problem that requires immediate broadcast.  The particular alert in question did not fit that category, IMO.
[/quote]

I'm just curious...What *was* the alert  that made the staff at your affiliate go live in the middle of Wheel?

sshuffield70

Tonight's WHEEL
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 12:15:23 AM »
not wait for Johhny from Duluth to solve "THE CAT IN THE HAT" for $25,000

How about Taylor and Vlada to solve FLIP-FLOPS for $100,000?  (everyone knew that was it anyway.)

DrJWJustice

Tonight's WHEEL
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 01:52:33 AM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' date=\'Jun 9 2005, 10:33 PM\']I'm just curious...What *was* the alert  that made the staff at your affiliate go live in the middle of Wheel?
[snapback]88514[/snapback]
[/quote]
It was a severe thunderstorm warning in a rural area about 40 miles (roughly) northeast of where I live.  At the time, it was only dropping moderate hail.  About an hour later -- and I wonder if the station had a hint that this might be coming -- it produced a half-mile wide tornado in open farmland.

tvwxman

Tonight's WHEEL
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 08:35:08 AM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Jun 10 2005, 12:52 AM\']It was a severe thunderstorm warning in a rural area about 40 miles (roughly) northeast of where I live.  At the time, it was only dropping moderate hail.  About an hour later -- and I wonder if the station had a hint that this might be coming -- it produced a half-mile wide tornado in open farmland.
[snapback]88536[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'll be quick about this...i'm on vacation.

Yes, it was warranted. It simply doesn't matter how 'rural' an area is. If there are people (or viewers. or advertisers. or money-spenders. don't matter what you call em) in the immediate danger of severe weather, we interrupt. Preventing potential Death is more important than Bob solving a puzzle for a car.

And you wonder if the station had a hint that this might be coming? We're forecasters. That's what we do for a living. Some of us are even good at it.

Sounds like you even know that the interrupt was warranted, but are just grinding your axe.

ms
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

jmangin

Tonight's WHEEL
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 10:44:58 AM »
I taped it.  Contact me at jwmangin@yahoo.com and we can work out getting a copy to you.

Don Howard

Tonight's WHEEL
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 12:31:07 PM »
DOPPLER FORECASTER IN PROMO:
Here at WeatherCenter 12, we care about you and your weather. When severe weather strikes, be assured that your Doppler Squad will be at the ready with our suitcoats off all set to dash on screen as soon as the Wheel Of Fortune bonus puzzle is solved. We at Television Twelve know your weather information is important to you. As are your game show viewing habits. You don't want to be bothered with information about any pesky hurricanes when someone is on the verge of calling a vowel. We respect that. And we respect you. Sure, the roof was just torn off your house and lives were lost. But at least your relatives saw what the SAME NAME was before they met their maker. Remember that at local Emmy time.

DrJWJustice

Tonight's WHEEL
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 05:30:17 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jun 10 2005, 07:35 AM\']Yes, it was warranted. It simply doesn't matter how 'rural' an area is. If there are people (or viewers. or advertisers. or money-spenders. don't matter what you call em) in the immediate danger of severe weather, we interrupt. Preventing potential Death is more important than Bob solving a puzzle for a car.

And you wonder if the station had a hint that this might be coming? We're forecasters. That's what we do for a living. Some of us are even good at it.

Sounds like you even know that the interrupt was warranted, but are just grinding your axe.

ms
[snapback]88546[/snapback]
[/quote]
Again, and I'll repeat for those who didn't see earlier, I AM NOT ARGUING WHETHER  IT WAS WARRANTED AT ALL OR NOT.  Capite?  But, since we're going to go here (off my original intent behind this thread, BTW), I *am* arguing the timing and urgency of the situation.  I don't know where you live, but I've lived for 30+ years in the heart of Tornado Alley and survived one of the worst tornadoes in US history, so no one had better lecture me on what these storms can do or on grinding my axe about them.  Given that, I'm certainly entitled to do the latter.  Rural/urban, that doesn't matter to me, either.  I gave that info in my previous post so that everyone would know where this took place, since some posters here appeared to be interested.  I've spent much of teenage years in rural areas doing ranch work & whatnot, so don't even THINK that I'm looking down my nose at those farmers and ranchers who work their asses off out there.  Storms do damage in both places.  You're certainly welcome to your argument as a professional forecaster, but I, as a TV viewer, am entitled to mine and to express the same.

Now, getting off my soapbox, It might help to put things into context for you, tvwxman, if I were able to show you WHAT they discussed so that you could see my point on placement of the alert, but I don't have or want the necessary video editing software to edit to part I'm discussing.  The point is, and I'll say again, in my opinion, the particular content of this given alert *could have* been done during the commercial break that followed.  The forecaster at the given station is very good, very accurate, IMO, and he usually puts urgency into his voice when it's warranted.  This alert was pretty casually presented, one of a type that his station (usually) waits for a commercial to do, and he takes pride in doing so on-air whenever possible.  I'd call that showing the ultimate in courtesy to his viewers.  I wil continue to watch his forecasts.

Now, tvwxman, if you want to hear of a story that really ought to get your bowels into an uproar, try this:  the NBC affiliate in my parents' hometown REFUSED to break into coverage of a major telethon last weekend when there was a potential tornado forming and heading in their direction.  I watched the whole thing on radar via Internet, and I promptly called my folks to see if they were aware of what was coming at them.  They weren't, thanks to the local station.  If you're one of those forecasters on the side of those who are good at what they/you do (and I sincerely hope you are), you might want to talk to your colleagues that way about when they should interrupt.  Wouldn't you say that one was definitely warranted???

ObGameShows:  Chuck left Wheel.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 05:32:20 PM by DrJWJustice »

DrJWJustice

Tonight's WHEEL
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 05:33:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jun 10 2005, 11:31 AM\']DOPPLER FORECASTER IN PROMO:
Here at WeatherCenter 12, we care about you and your weather. When severe weather strikes, be assured that your Doppler Squad will be at the ready with our suitcoats off all set to dash on screen as soon as the Wheel Of Fortune bonus puzzle is solved. We at Television Twelve know your weather information is important to you. As are your game show viewing habits. You don't want to be bothered with information about any pesky hurricanes when someone is on the verge of calling a vowel. We respect that. And we respect you. Sure, the roof was just torn off your house and lives were lost. But at least your relatives saw what the SAME NAME was before they met their maker. Remember that at local Emmy time.
[snapback]88559[/snapback]
[/quote]

Smartaleck.

Lemme put it this way:  If a tornado is coming at me, I couldn't care less if someone is winning $100k on Wheel.  I want to know about the tornado.  On the other hand, if the local weather forecaster wants to show digital pictures of hailstones that have ALREADY FALLEN (yes, that's what they spent nearly the whole friggin interruption doing!), that can wait.  NOW do you get the picture?

Jeez, some of you posters go overboard on stuff in here.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 05:44:24 PM by DrJWJustice »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Tonight's WHEEL
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 05:48:09 PM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Jun 10 2005, 04:30 PM\']They weren't, thanks to the local station.[/quote]
The CBS and ABC stations didn't have any weather coverage either?  Also, I thought that if a county was in a tornado warning area, the NWS aired a mandatory warning message across ALL TV stations, not just broadcast ones.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

NKIT

Tonight's WHEEL
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 06:10:58 PM »
I know how you feel, Justice.  Stations are always trying to outdo each other when it comes to weather coverage.  There's one jackass in my market that will pre-empt a show and blather on for 10 or 15 minutes, repeating the same warning over and over again.  The good ones get the info out quickly and succinctly, and then let the EAS system do its job.

DrJWJustice

Tonight's WHEEL
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 06:29:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Jun 10 2005, 04:48 PM\'][quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Jun 10 2005, 04:30 PM\']They weren't, thanks to the local station.[/quote]
The CBS and ABC stations didn't have any weather coverage either?  Also, I thought that if a county was in a tornado warning area, the NWS aired a mandatory warning message across ALL TV stations, not just broadcast ones.
[snapback]88627[/snapback]
[/quote]
I don't know what the other stations were doing.  My folks just so happened to be tuned into that particular station and must not have seen any reason to flip the channel.  Anyways, you're right about the mandate on a tornado warning.  Around here, the audio is cut off on all channels while the NWS broadcasts the warning message, in addition to running a crawl across all channels at the bottom.