Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Identical sets for first & second versions?  (Read 5627 times)

cmjb13

Identical sets for first & second versions?
« on: June 12, 2005, 05:46:48 PM »
What shows had the same set when it was brought back a few years (or less) later?

Eubanks CS and Combs Feud come to mind with identical sets (Feud moreso than CS)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 05:47:03 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Don Howard

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 05:52:18 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 04:46 PM\']What shows had the same set when it was brought back a few years (or less) later?
[snapback]88766[/snapback]
[/quote]
By same, do you mean similar or the exact same? If you're going for similar, I'd say Battlestars, The $50,000 Pyramid (compared to $20K) and John Davidson's $100,000 Pyramid (compared to Dick's $25K and $100K).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 05:53:06 PM by Don Howard »

tyshaun1

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 05:54:14 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 05:46 PM\']What shows had the same set when it was brought back a few years (or less) later?

Eubanks CS and Combs Feud come to mind with identical sets (Feud moreso than CS)
[/quote]

Scrabble '93 had a virtually identical set to its forefather, save for some background set pieces missing and different logo.

BTW, how do you gather that Eubanks' CS and Perry's have identical sets? For starters, one background is red, the other is blue. One had "cards" covering up the playing fields, the other had 4 large "cards" than covered the main board and tilted for the Money Cards, plus a dual-sided contestant stage/Money Cards platform. Too many differences to say they're alike, IMO.

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 05:55:19 PM by tyshaun1 »

calliaume

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 05:54:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 04:52 PM\'][quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 04:46 PM\']What shows had the same set when it was brought back a few years (or less) later?
[/quote]
By same, do you mean similar or the exact same? If you're going for similar, I'd say Battlestars, The $50,000 Pyramid and John Davidson's $100,000 Pyramid.
[snapback]88768[/snapback]
[/quote]
Both Battlestars and $50,000 Pyramid were probably the same set - only about a year or less between versions, and shot in the same studios.

Tattletales' sets were pretty similar, even though there was a gap of four years or so.

I don't think we can count The Magnificent Marble Machine.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 06:06:47 PM »
Jack Barry's TJW, first syndicated TDG and TNG.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

wschmrdr

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 06:21:16 PM »
The 1964-1975 and 1978-1979 Jeopardy versions, though different style scoreboards, had similar sets.

I wouldn't consider the sets of the two scrabble versions to be similar. They had many more differences than similarities. (Graphics, set design, logo, stopper counts, fonts, pretty much everything except basic game play)

Tattletales is a definite.

All of the first three versions of the Let's Make a Deal, but more closely the 80's and 90-91 versions had extremely similar sets.

If the network to syndie change in Millionaire counts, then I'd include that as well. However, that's mostly since all of those decisions come from Celador in the UK, and not the US producers.

That's all I can think of at the current moment. I may edit later if I think of others.

cmjb13

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 07:20:51 PM »
By same, do you mean similar or the exact same?
Exactly the same.

For example, Dawson & Combs had an identical set (minus the color differences)

BTW, how do you gather that Eubanks' CS and Perry's have identical sets? For starters, one background is red, the other is blue. One had "cards" covering up the playing fields, the other had 4 large "cards" than covered the main board and tilted for the Money Cards, plus a dual-sided contestant stage/Money Cards platform. Too many differences to say they're alike, IMO.
Main pieces of the set were the same (main game board, contestant podium, R2D2). I should have said similar instead of exact in this case.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 07:25:05 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

mystery7

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 07:21:34 PM »
Card Sharks sets were entirely different. Not even designed by the same person. James Agazzi did NBC's, and Dennis Roof did CBS's. Feud's set was styled to look much more like the original, but again, not THE SAME the same (red where brown should have been, red carpet sted blue, etc.). TT came closest to the original, and might even have been the original, with a couple pieces rebuilt.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 07:24:56 PM by mystery7 »

The Pyramids

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 08:19:32 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 06:21 PM\']Card Sharks sets were entirely different. Not even designed by the same person. James Agazzi did NBC's, and Dennis Roof did CBS's. Feud's set was styled to look much more like the original, but again, not THE SAME the same (red where brown should have been, red carpet sted blue, etc.). TT came closest to the original, and might even have been the original, with a couple pieces rebuilt.
[snapback]88786[/snapback]
[/quote]

'Family Feud' was really a near extact looking remake. By contrast no two 'Passwords' were exactly alike, 'Card Sharks' had different sets in my opinion, 'Match Game' w/ Ross S. was its own version, 'To Tell the Truth' went from a blue set to a red set (Ward version) etc.

While I wish Freemantle's 'Feud' could look more like the orginal I'd have to say near identical remakes have been the exception rather than the rule over the years.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 08:36:42 PM by PaulD »

jmangin

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2005, 09:48:54 PM »
How can two things be exactly the same if there are color differences?

Neumms

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2005, 10:20:32 PM »
My question is, do they keep old sets in storage, just in case the game is revived? Or do they take out the old plans and rebuild it? Tattletales, Newlywed Game and Dating Game were so similar. One might think if you're building a new set anyway, you might as well design one that looks new.

Argo

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 12:06:36 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 04:46 PM\']What shows had the same set when it was brought back a few years (or less) later?

[/quote]

I believe in this case Eubanks' CS vs Rafferty's CS is what he's referring to.

Mark

Don Howard

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 12:10:27 AM »
[quote name=\'Argo\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 11:06 PM\']I believe in this case Eubanks' CS vs Rafferty's CS is what he's referring to.
[snapback]88811[/snapback]
[/quote]
If we're going down that road, we can just break open our encyclopedias and see what daytime shows had concurrent nighttime editions.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2005, 12:48:40 AM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 06:48 PM\']How can two things be exactly the same if there are color differences?
[/quote]
Dude, I stopped trying to make sense of this thread a while ago. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2005, 01:10:01 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 09:20 PM\']My question is, do they keep old sets in storage, just in case the game is revived? Or do they take out the old plans and rebuild it? Tattletales, Newlywed Game and Dating Game were so similar. One might think if you're building a new set anyway, you might as well design one that looks new.
[snapback]88804[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think Chris C. noted this one back at ATGS, but in the case of Feud (Dawson to Combs), most of that set was in storage. However, weather damaged the contestant podia, which were remodeled. Speaking of which, was the Combs big board the same as Dawson's? It appears the same, except the wooden border from Dawson's was replaced with a red plastic border. Finally, did Combs use the same faceoff podium, just with a new light pattern (vertical stripes compared to the light grid)?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!