Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Match Game 05  (Read 6078 times)

Shredder

Match Game 05
« on: June 14, 2005, 11:34:00 AM »
I know this has been done to death, but who would you put on Match Game 05, should it be remade?

First thing I'd do is keep the same set and sound effects/music.  I'd update the colors on the set a bit,  however.  I'd also keep the drop down neon logo light that's at the begining of some shows..

As far as panelists go, I'd invite Betty White, and one other Match Game regular back.  Then I'd add, Kermit the Frog, Dan Aykroyd, Chuck Woolery,  and Ben Stein.  All I think could play off each other and add some interesting in between conversation.  Maby add in Paul Schaffer as a semi regular as he gets some good off the script jokes on Letterman once in a while.  Plus th Muppet Operators are good ad libbers :)..

Too bad Petitions don't work, or we could get GSN to commision a new Match Game series where we could choose the panelists and host :).  That's interactivity for ya, heh.

mystery7

Match Game 05
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 11:55:35 AM »
You'd keep the same set, sounds and music as which version? Rayburn? Shafer? Burger? Burger's version did have a nice set  (though the celebrty area would have to be rebuilt to fit 6 stars), and I liked the theme.

Having Kermit The Frog and Muppet operators on together seems like a throwback to Ronn Lucas and Scorch/Chuck. And after Triumph The Insult Comic Dog on Squares, puppets=NO. Ben Stein is the only one of your panelists I could realistically see doing a Match revival. Betty White might be a semi-regular, though.

And yes, they did try to remake Match this year as What The Blank? for Fox, and no, they didn't go through with it. They likely never will. Nor will GSN, who's taken the hint that you can't improve on something as good as the original.

Jimmy Owen

Match Game 05
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 12:24:44 PM »
I'd like to see a new Match Game.  I'd like more of a take-charge host more in the Rayburn style rather than Shafer/Burger.  For panelists, regulars would be John O'Hurley in the CNR seat and Richard Karn in the lower tier middle.  Rotating panelists: I would welcome everyone who wanted to return on the distaff side, Betty, Vicki, Patti, etc.  Brooke Burke/Burns rotating in the pulcritude seat.  If Anne Robinson wanted to stay in the US, I'd have her in the top middle.  Failing that, is Dame Edna Everage available?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Tony

Match Game 05
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 02:19:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 14 2005, 11:24 AM\']For panelists, regulars would be John O'Hurley in the CNR seat and Richard Karn in the lower tier middle.
[/quote]
If Richard Karn can't quite fill Richard Dawson's shoes on Family Feud (to put it mildly), what makes you think Karn could do the same on Match Game?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Match Game 05
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 02:20:12 PM »
must....keep...head....from...exploding...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dzinkin

Match Game 05
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 02:36:29 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 14 2005, 02:20 PM\']must....keep...head....from...exploding...
[snapback]89012[/snapback]
[/quote]
I've got it!  Chris Lemon as all six panelists! :-D

whewfan

Match Game 05
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 03:53:56 PM »
[  Failing that, is Dame Edna Everage available?

<MacEnroe> You CANNOT be serious</MacEnroe>

uncamark

Match Game 05
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 04:18:12 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jun 14 2005, 02:53 PM\'][  Failing that, is Dame Edna Everage available?

[snapback]89024[/snapback]
[/quote]

How soon we forget that the most recent incarnation of the UK version, "Blankety Blank," was "presented" by Lily Savage, or Paul O'Grady in drag.  (Out of drag, O'Grady's now doing a "teatime" talk show on ITV that's offering the first real ratings challenge to "TWL" in eons.)

DjohnsonCB

Match Game 05
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 04:25:40 PM »
I loved the wheel from the Shafer version, with the pointer that rotated instead of the wheel.  BTW, something I've been meaning to ask about the contestant podiums in that version:  there were six divided vertical rectangles with a single star or the letters M-A-T-C-H in each one, yet when someone made a match, the whole thing flashed on and off.  When they were working out the details before the series began, had they originally intended for the divided blocks to light up individually for each match, with only a clean sweep of all six celebs resulting in the entire area being lit?

I personally feel Match Game was okay for the times but may not work today since it was such a big deal to hear "boobs" as an answer but today we hear far more explicit stuff.  Still, if I were designing a new set, I'd probably revive the flip panels with the vacuum cleaner-type sound, only put some color into them instead of having them black-on-white.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

DrBear

Match Game 05
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 05:44:49 PM »
Of course, the way the bluenoses have moved in today (gee THANKS, FCC!) if there's a Match Game revival it would probably be of the 1960s version. Although I don't think "Name a fruit" would get past the morality squad these days.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

BrandonFG

Match Game 05
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2005, 05:46:45 PM »
For celebs, I often thought about keeping 2 or 3 regulars, but the remaining 3 spots could be filled by stars of the same sitcom. For example, the cast of Everybody Loves Raymond did HSq/H2 all the time, and it seems Doris Roberts and Brad Garrett loved making guest appearances on game shows (and of course, Brad did MG90 and looked like Frankenstein). Each week could be a different show.

Get people who actually enjoy the game, and not just picking up a check.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

clemon79

Match Game 05
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2005, 05:56:23 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jun 14 2005, 01:18 PM\']How soon we forget that the most recent incarnation of the UK version, "Blankety Blank," was "presented" by Lily Savage, or Paul O'Grady in drag.  (Out of drag, O'Grady's now doing a "teatime" talk show on ITV that's offering the first real ratings challenge to "TWL" in eons.)
[/quote]
I don't think anyone's forgotten, they're just flabbergasted at the idea of someone whose 15 minutes ran out (in the States, anyhow) eons ago being suggested seriously for an MG revival.

The Pyramids

Match Game 05
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005, 06:37:23 PM »
What was the 'Whats the Blank' (or something like that) from a year ago.

Was this a Freemantle 'Match Game' pilot?

clemon79

Match Game 05
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005, 07:33:10 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Jun 14 2005, 03:37 PM\']What was the 'Whats the Blank' (or something like that) from a year ago.

Was this a Freemantle 'Match Game' pilot?
[/quote]
Let's recap, shall we?
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Jun 14 2005, 08:55 AM\']And yes, they did try to remake Match this year as What The Blank? for Fox, and no, they didn't go through with it.
[/quote]
How, I must know, do you interpret this in a way that DOESN'T tell you that "What The Blank?" was a MG revival pilot?

ITSBRY

Match Game 05
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2005, 09:41:27 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jun 14 2005, 02:53 PM\'][  Failing that, is Dame Edna Everage available?

[snapback]89024[/snapback]
[/quote]

It's not THAT bad of an idea. Dame Edna's got a quick wit...it might be kind of a hoot.

I thought she was quite funny when I saw her on stage last year. Her audience was quite diverse as well...everyone from gay men to couples in their 60s and 70s.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 09:44:14 PM by ITSBRY »