Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheelmobile Coming to Town Today  (Read 6121 times)

Millionaire81

Wheelmobile Coming to Town Today
« on: June 17, 2005, 08:50:22 AM »
It'll will be here in Mobile, AL today and then slip over to Pensacola, FL tomorrow.  Any tips from some folks who've been?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 01:19:35 AM by Millionaire81 »

TalkingHeadsFan

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 09:56:29 AM »
Don't expect it to be a huge grandiose production...The "Vanna" writes the letters on the puzzle board with a thin dry-erase marker that makes the puzzle virtually impossible to see. They spend so little time and money on the puzzle board, and they actually made a light-up used letter board...go figure.

Don't expect SFX or music. All we had here was a buzzer noise from the Taboo game. Then later in the show, someone bought the "Classic TV Game Show Themes" CD and played the old WOF theme.

There isn't all that much game play. Since it is a contestant search type event, there's simply lots of interviews with people who have got called up on stage...You simply fill out a form, drop it in a bin, and wait to see if you're called on stage to play a bastardized version of the speed-up round. If you win, you get whatever their little wheel landed on, usually a T-Shirt, Hat, Fanny Pack or something goofy of the sorts.

Most of the fun I had was making fun of the entire event with other local game show aficionados.

Jeopardy! Brain Bus was executed much better.

Doug

WhammyPower

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 05:12:33 PM »
[quote name=\'TalkingHeadsFan\' date=\'Jun 17 2005, 08:56 AM\']Jeopardy! Brain Bus was executed much better.
[snapback]89340[/snapback]
[/quote]
Then I'm happy I live in Milwaukee, because only the Brain Bus has made a stop here so far.

tvwxman

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 05:28:22 PM »
[quote name=\'TalkingHeadsFan\' date=\'Jun 17 2005, 08:56 AM\']
Most of the fun I had was making fun of the entire event with other local game show aficionados.

Jeopardy! Brain Bus was executed much better.

Doug
[snapback]89340[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well I wouldn't go THAT far!

As someone who works for a station that airs Wheel (and someone who has had their station send them to LA to go behind the scenes @ Wheel, but that's another story), I had the opportunity to 'host' our local Wheelmobile event a year ago....

Yes, it's a bit simple, and yes, it's not as glamourous as the show....but it's still darn well executed.... Remember, the folks you see here are the dyedinthewool "WheelWatchers" , and are exactly the people the show caters to. If you're the type who makes fun of the contestants for being over-caffenated, over-loud, and under-educated cause they can't solve what you think are common phrases, then don't go. These folks watch religiously, and more than likely know that to be on Wheel means acting just like the contestants they watch on last night's show.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 06:20:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Millionaire81\' date=\'Jun 17 2005, 08:02 PM\']I'm sure I sound a little bitter and that's because I am, but I just think an audition process should have been executed a little better than that.
[/quote]
We can get you some cheese to go with that if you'd like.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvrandywest

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 09:38:27 AM »
[quote name=\'Millionaire81\' date=\'Jun 17 2005, 04:50 AM\']It'll will be here in Mobile, AL today and then slip over to Pensacola, FL tomorrow.  Any tips from some folks who've been?
[snapback]89335[/snapback]
[/quote]
Don't walk behind the Wheelmobile when it's in reverse and making the "beep - beep - beep" sound   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Don Howard

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2005, 10:33:00 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 18 2005, 08:38 AM\']Don't walk behind the Wheelmobile when it's in reverse and making the "beep - beep - beep" sound   ;-)
[snapback]89398[/snapback]
[/quote]
If you're walking behind the Wheelmobile and you hear the beep, think of the fun you're about to have playing Sidewalk Sweep.

clemon79

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 02:46:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Millionaire81\' date=\'Jun 18 2005, 06:24 AM\']Chris...do we need to take up a collection to send you off to come up with some new lines?  With lines like that you'll never be the eighth grade bad ass.
[/quote]
Good thing I don't want to be, then.

Because you brought it up, I checked. In 5712 posts, exactly thirteen of them included the word "cheese", including the above. Of those, two of them included the word quoted from other posters, and two others were quoting GSWitch's moronic Curly Cry. Of the nine remaining (that's .15756%, if you're scoring at home. Note the decimal point), not one of those (until yesterday) used the whine/cheese gag.

So, hey, I take shots as good as I give them, but at least make sure they're accurate, huh?
Anyway, who gives a damn if I sounded bitter.
You yourself acknowledged it, so clearly you did at one point.
I was just making a statement regarding a flawed process.
I don't see the flaw. They have a limited amount of time and a kajillion people who want to be on the show. I would certainly they rather select who is interviewed by random lot (which is fair to ALL potential applicants), rather than select only the Beautiful People or what have you.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 04:20:55 PM by clemon79 »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2005, 03:54:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Millionaire81\' date=\'Jun 18 2005, 06:24 AM\']I'm sure I sound a little bitter and that's because I am, but I just think an audition process should have been executed a little better than that.[/quote]I've been to the Wheelmobile thing.  I knew it was a long shot going in, so when my name wasn't called, I wasn't depressed.  I had a good time on Fourth of July with a couple of friends, ate some good food and listened to good music.

Sure, they could have sprung for an actual puzzleboard and sounds, but it does emulate the flavor of the speed up round.  They're not going to pluck three people out of the line and have them play a full 22 minute game.

I was just making a statement regarding a flawed process.
I don't see a 'flaw,' either.  I suppose they could pass out a metric ton worth of paper and have everyone on the queue take the test, but why bother.  It's a fun event.

For a game show, let's not forget.  With the exception of the guys at "Classic Concentration," we're not curing cancer.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 03:59:03 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2005, 06:46:51 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 18 2005, 08:38 AM\']Don't walk behind the Wheelmobile when it's in reverse and making the "beep - beep - beep" sound   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[snapback]89398[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh, was that what that sound meant?  I thought we were just down to [font=\"Courier\"]WH__LM_B_L_[/font] in the puzzle.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Steve McClellan

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2005, 10:39:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Millionaire81\' date=\'Jun 17 2005, 08:02 PM\']In my eyes, if your going to have an audition looking for contestants,  you set up a day (not 4 hours) and get as many as you can in to interview.  I'm sure I sound a little bitter and that's because I am, but I just think an audition process should have been executed a little better than that.
[snapback]89386[/snapback]
[/quote]
Not that you'll understand this (I'm being intentionally vague here, for reasons to be revealed sometime in the future ;) ), but it's set up exactly the way they want it to be, in part to weed out whiners like yourself.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 10:39:21 PM by Steve McClellan »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 01:15:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Millionaire81\' date=\'Jun 18 2005, 08:24 AM\']I'm not eligible anyway.  I worked for the affiliate last year and know everybody there.  I was just making a statement regarding a flawed process.
[/quote]
You knew you weren't eligible.
You went anyway.
Now you're complaining.
Classic.  I think I'll sit back and sip on some sweet tea--while you try to defend what appears to be a vast claim.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 01:16:25 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

tvwxman

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005, 04:46:33 AM »
[quote name=\'Millionaire81\' date=\'Jun 17 2005, 10:02 PM\']Well, I just returned from the event and no...I did not get picked, and I was very disappointed with it, but I did win a WOF t-shirt, hat, fanny-pack, and CD-ROM for knowing WOF's creator. 
Anyway I was just disappointed with the fact I didn't get picked of course,

I'm sure I sound a little bitter and that's because I am, but I just think an audition process should have been executed a little better than that.

I'm done now.

Harry
[snapback]89386[/snapback]
[/quote]

All that complaining, and you weren't even elgible to be a contestant in the first place? Then why are you dissapointed that you weren't picked? And, on top of that, you won ALL of the prizes offered to the thousands that showed up?

I've heard of PJTP, but I think Mill81 has just coined WJTW.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2005, 09:10:38 PM »
Oh, good lord.

dzinkin

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2005, 09:12:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Millionaire81\' date=\'Jun 20 2005, 09:09 PM\']Man, I guess I never realized what a Gestapo and defenders of the forum we have here.
[snapback]89565[/snapback]
[/quote]
W00t!  Godwin's Law!  You lose, and everyone else wins!