Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC Password Question  (Read 2315 times)

edholland83

ABC Password Question
« on: August 09, 2003, 06:37:38 PM »
I'm unsure if anyone has any of the pre Password All-Stars Episodes, but may someone might know this question. When the best of three matches began, was there a partner switch before the tiebreaking game? (i.e. if There's one partner switch after the first game, would there be another partner switch going into the third game) Sorry if I had confused anyone on that.

My other question was how was the elimination round done on Password All-Stars and the later Password '75 Shows?

I hope someone may have the answers

Matt Ottinger

ABC Password Question
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2003, 09:08:21 PM »
My other question was how was the elimination round done on Password All-Stars and the later Password '75 Shows?
I assume by \"elimination round\" you mean the part on the lower level which determined who got to play the main game.  And if you don't know, I'm assuming you've never seen it, so you may not even know it was on a lower level!

Anyway, the Password '75 part is easier to describe.  The two celebrities were on the left and a panel of four contestants were on the right.  Celebrities took turns giving clues to a password, and if a contestant thought she knew, she buzzed in.  If she was right, she got a point.  If she was wrong, she was out for the rest of the clues it took to guess that word.  (In other words, you only got one shot per word.)  Two points earned the right to go upstairs to the main game, and the first two to do that were the players.  For the other two, it was The Land Of Parting Gifts.

The Password All-Stars format (which obviously came first) was played the same way, but rather than being dismissed, the two celebrities on the panel who failed became the clue givers for the next \"elimination round\".  The four celebrities who ended up playing the main game became the panel for the next elimination round.  That rotation continued for four days, and the four highest scorers played only main games on Friday to determine a champion.

I may be off on some nuances.  For example, although no regular \"All-Stars\" episodes exist in circulation, I believe that on All-Stars, it took three correct answers in the elimination round to qualify for the main game.  I'm also thinking that for the later contestant shows, there might have been a brief period when a contestant wasn't sent packing until after two losses.  Not sure, though.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

curtking

ABC Password Question
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2003, 09:06:12 AM »
In the esteemed opinion of the group, was Password \"jumping the shark\" at this point or were the changes genuinely beneficial to gameplay?

Curt

Matt Ottinger

ABC Password Question
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2003, 12:03:06 PM »
I personally loved \"All-Stars\", but yeah, in retrospect, the writing appears to have been on the wall.  At the very least, though, changing to \"All-Stars\" was a radical rethinking of the concept, while the change over to civilian play afterwards, and the adjustment to the game in order to fit the elaborate set they'd constructed, did seem way too forced.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2003, 12:05:38 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

AH3RD

ABC Password Question
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2003, 05:45:52 PM »
I always thought, like the old saying \"too many cooks spoil the broth,\" too many stars spoil the game!
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine