Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show in-studio audience sizes  (Read 3578 times)

CE Producers

Game show in-studio audience sizes
« on: June 23, 2005, 02:23:41 PM »
Can anyone speak to the actual size of the in-studio audiences for Wheel of Fortune, Saturday Night Live, Family Feud, Jeopardy and Millionaire?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 02:27:51 PM »
I'm sure some people here can. I for one have difficulty speaking to that large of an audience. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

CE Producers

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 03:09:14 PM »
[quote name=\'CE Producers\' date=\'Jun 23 2005, 02:23 PM\']Can anyone speak to the actual size of the in-studio audiences for Wheel of Fortune, Saturday Night Live, Family Feud, Jeopardy and Millionaire?
[snapback]89832[/snapback]
[/quote]

I can clarify.  How many people are in the studio audiences for these shows.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 03:28:33 PM »
Millionaire is close to 200 for the NYC audience, I would think the other shows are a bit less than that.
Travis L. Eberle

tvrandywest

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 03:42:20 PM »
Research? Getting a Masters Degree keeps getting easier and easier!

I've worked the studios of those L.A. based shows doing warm-up and announce. For instance, GSN's "Hollywood Showdown" was in the WOF stage at SONY. I don't have hard numbers but can give you educated estimates. For definitive answers you can check with the facilities offices at Tribune Studios, SONY, NBC-NY, etc. Another source of information would be the local Fire Departments. Beside having the actual number of seats on file, their permitting rules become more stringent once you exceed a specific number. The capacity of each audience's seating will remain below that threshold.

WOF's audience isn't deep but I remember it as 4 sections wide; I'd estimate capacity in the general neighborhood of 350 to perhaps 400. Next door, J! looks to be 225 to 275; when it was in studio 1 at KTLA (now Tribune), J!'s audience was a bit larger. FF has also taped at several locations over the years (ABC, NBC and KTLA/Tribune); I'd guess the present audience to be 300. I can't speak to the NY shows, but know that depending upon configuration, NBC's 8H can accommodate greater than 500. Despite camera angles, ABC's audience for Millionaire is relatively small because the studio is, shall we say, intimate; 150 to 250 would be the range.

As additional references I know from working these specific shows is that TPiR is 330, and Weakest Link was 260 (with overflow of up to 300 additional seats off-camera). Off hand, I remember the smallest game show audience I worked as 110 for "All New 3's a Crowd", and the largest as 500 for NBC's "Twenty One". Hope it helps.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 05:00:54 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

CE Producers

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 04:12:34 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 23 2005, 03:42 PM\']Research? Getting a Masters Degree keeps getting easier and easier!

I've worked the studios of those L.A. based shows doing warm-up and announce. For instance, GSN's "Hollywood Showdown" was in the WOF stage at SONY. I don't have hard numbers but can give you educated estimates. For definitive answers you can check with the facilities offices at Tribune Studios, SONY, NBC-NY, etc. Another source of information would be the local Fire Departments. Beside having the actual number of seats on file, their permitting rules become more stringent once you exceed a specific number. The capacity of each audience's seating will remain below that threshold.

WOF's audience isn't deep but I remember it as 4 sections wide; I'd estimate capacity in the general neighborhood of 350 to perhaps 400. Next door, J! looks to be 225 to 275; when it was in studio 1 at KTLA (now Tribune), J!'s audience was a bit larger. FF has also taped at several locations over the years (ABC, NBC and KTLA/Tribune); I'd guess the present audience to be 300. I can't speak to the NY shows, but know that depending upon configuration, NBC's 8H can accommodate greater than 500. Despite camera angles, ABC's audience for millionaire is relatively small be cause the studio is, shall we say, intimate; 150 to 250 would be the range.

As additional references I know from working these shows that TPiR is 330, and Weakest Link was 260 (with overflow of up to 300 additional seats off-camera). Off hand, I remember the smallest game show audience I worked as 110 for "All New 3's a Crowd", and the largest as 500 for NBC's "Twenty One". Hope it helps.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[snapback]89846[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks, great info. Those audiences are larger than I had expected.  
We produce a regional Lottery game show and have room for about 125 in the audience.  Just needed to compare sizes.

tvrandywest

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 04:20:19 PM »
[quote name=\'CE Producers\' date=\'Jun 23 2005, 12:12 PM\']Thanks, great info. Those audiences are larger than I had expected. 
We produce a regional Lottery game show and have room for about 125 in the audience.  Just needed to compare sizes.
[snapback]89851[/snapback]
[/quote]
I announce and warm-up California's lottery show, BIG SPIN. It's a weekly half-hour now in it's 20th year. Because you may not need to re-invent the wheel, you can consider contacting Jonathan Goodson Productions who does the California show (and did other states') and/or Sande Stewart Productions who did a few years of the "Powerball" show. You can also drop me an e-mail for more general info on the California BIG SPIN show.

[quote name=\'CE Producers\' date=\'Jun 23 2005, 12:12 PM\']Those audiences are larger than I had expected... Just needed to compare sizes.
[/quote]
As far as that's concerned, it's not how big it is, it's how enthusiastically you use it!!

Randy
randy@tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 04:23:13 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

CE Producers

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 05:03:29 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 23 2005, 04:20 PM\'][quote name=\'CE Producers\' date=\'Jun 23 2005, 12:12 PM\']Thanks, great info. Those audiences are larger than I had expected. 
We produce a regional Lottery game show and have room for about 125 in the audience.  Just needed to compare sizes.
[/quote]
I announce and warm-up California's lottery show, BIG SPIN. It's a weekly half-hour now in it's 20th year. Because you may not need to re-invent the wheel, you can consider contacting Jonathan Goodson Productions who does the California show (and did other states') and/or Sande Stewart Productions who did a few years of the "Powerball" show. You can also drop me an e-mail for more general info on the California BIG SPIN show.

[quote name=\'CE Producers\' date=\'Jun 23 2005, 12:12 PM\']Those audiences are larger than I had expected... Just needed to compare sizes.
[/quote]
As far as that's concerned, it's not how big it is, it's how enthusiastically you use it!!

Randy
randy@tvrandywest.com
[snapback]89854[/snapback]
[/quote]

You are absolutely right!  I would like to get in touch with you via-email.  Nice to chat with you.  

Scott

Casey

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 11:38:13 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 23 2005, 03:20 PM\']As far as that's concerned, it's not how big it is, it's how enthusiastically you use it!!

Randy
randy@tvrandywest.com
[snapback]89854[/snapback]
[/quote]

I very nearly fell off the couch laughing when I read this... hilarious!

Thanks for the laugh Randy!