Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The price is right announcers  (Read 3290 times)

Stackertosh

The price is right announcers
« on: June 24, 2005, 02:42:03 PM »
Hello im new everyone i have a question

is it true that the price is right asked bob hilton to be the announcer the second time?

whewfan

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 04:29:15 PM »
Bob Hilton was one of the interim announcers after Johnny Olsen died. Bob told us at GSC9 that at the time, they were really looking for someone that not only is a good announcer, but interacts well with Bob and can act in the showcases.

A story he told us was that Rod was already named permanant announcer, and on his way to work, Rod was in a car accident. He thought he wouldn't make it to the taping on time, so they called Bob and asked if he could fill in, and Bob showed up. As it turns out, Rod did make it to the taping. After the show, Bob and Rod had dinner at the CBS commissary, and Rod was choking on his food. Bob quickly gave Rod the Heimlich manuever and saved his life.

As for whether Bob will be announcing for an upcoming TPIR... I doubt it. Bob is now busy as a news anchor someplace.

tvrandywest

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 04:33:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Stackertosh\' date=\'Jun 24 2005, 10:42 AM\']is it true that the price is right asked bob hilton to be the announcer the second time?
[snapback]89980[/snapback]
[/quote]
Welcome to THE game show forum   ;-)

I've heard that story. But it seems it always traces back to Bob Hilton himself. I consider Bob a friend, and I even hired him twice to fill in for me doing warm-up on NBC's Twenty One when I was double booked. I'd have welcomed Bob into the mix. Good guy, good talent, with actual acting ability as well. Bob did theater with a friend of mine in Houston a bunch of years back.

[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jun 24 2005, 12:29 PM\']As for whether Bob will be announcing for an upcoming TPIR... I doubt it. Bob is now busy as a news anchor someplace.
[snapback]89995[/snapback]
[/quote]
The NBC affiliate in Sacramento. When we spoke back then he was doing the 5 minute local news breaks in the Today Show.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 04:36:53 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

cmjb13

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 04:39:12 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jun 24 2005, 04:29 PM\']and can act in the showcases
[snapback]89995[/snapback]
[/quote]
Which of course means nothing today
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 06:28:18 PM »
Welcome to THE[/u] game show forum ;-)
Accept no substitutes.