Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PAX becomes i  (Read 6197 times)

itiparanoid13

PAX becomes i
« on: June 28, 2005, 05:12:35 PM »
President Dean Goodman announced today that on July 1st, 2005, PAX will begin to be known as "i", in which it will air "independent television by offering a mix of original series, movies, specials, sports, and news that appears to a variety of interests."  What this is going to mean for the game shows; lord knows.  Full story at Buzzer.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
PAX becomes i
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 05:24:33 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Jun 28 2005, 02:12 PM\']What this is going to mean for the game shows; lord knows.
[/quote]
Especially in PAX's case. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

sshuffield70

PAX becomes i
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 05:45:07 PM »
Alex, you mention, almost in passing, that PAX will continue in some markets on a digital channel.  Currently, TBN is utilizing those extra digital channels that they own to air their two other networks that few have ever heard of.  So, PAX could conceivably do the same thing TBN has done.

Jimmy Owen

PAX becomes i
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 05:52:32 PM »
If I ever get a cable network I gonna name it "A."  That way my network will always be first in the listings.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Kevin Prather

PAX becomes i
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 06:18:28 PM »
Then I'll name mine "1" so I beat yours! ;-)

Matt Ottinger

PAX becomes i
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 06:58:51 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Jun 28 2005, 05:12 PM\'] "independent television by offering a mix of original series, movies, specials, sports, and news that appears to a variety of interests."  [/quote]
Other stories go on to say that in essence, independent producers can buy a chunk of time to air their shows, and then sell the ad time themselves, or do whatever else is necessary to make a profit.  Excuse me for being dense, but while that's interesting in theory, isn't that basically how infomercials work?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

GameShowFan

PAX becomes i
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 07:04:13 PM »
Other stories go on to say that in essence, independent producers can buy a chunk of time to air their shows, and then sell the ad time themselves, or do whatever else is necessary to make a profit. Excuse me for being dense, but while that's interesting in theory, isn't that basically how infomercials work?

More broadly, it's the "Dollar A Holler" format of radio brought to television. Unfortunately, nobody but infomercial producers will probably buy, and it would undoubtedly be prohibitively expensive for a true independent producer of any other type of program to make any money.

'B

WhammyPower

PAX becomes i
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 07:19:51 PM »
Oh, what a fright!

clemon79

PAX becomes i
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 07:32:43 PM »
[quote name=\'GameShowFan\' date=\'Jun 28 2005, 04:04 PM\']More broadly, it's the "Dollar A Holler" format of radio brought to television. Unfortunately, nobody but infomercial producers will probably buy, and it would undoubtedly be prohibitively expensive for a true independent producer of any other type of program to make any money.
[/quote]
I used to work at a radio station like that, right when I first got out of school. What a couple of shysters those guys were. (One of them claimed some kind of producerial role on Sale Of The Century, and they both claimed experience in Hollywood, so Randy may know one or both of them...email me if you're curious, Randy, and I'll drop names. :)) And yes, it was mostly hobbyists and people who were NOT counting on the show's profit to cover their family income, and a lot of syndicated crap. And the mass majority of the local stuff sounded an awful lot like NPR, if you get my meaning. :)

Wow. Now I'm gonna have nightmares again. Thanks. :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 07:33:34 PM by clemon79 »

Clay Zambo

PAX becomes i
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 05:12:25 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jun 28 2005, 05:18 PM\']Then I'll name mine "1" so I beat yours! ;-)
[snapback]90321[/snapback]
[/quote]

Damn.  Now I'm gonna have to open the " " channel.  But it'll have to be one of those all-infomercial deals, too, with the tag-line, "This Space for Rent."
czambo@mac.com

uncamark

PAX becomes i
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 12:33:49 PM »
And on top of everything else, Broadcasting & Cable reports that NBC Universal, still a one-third owner of Pax despite their stormy relationship, was not informed of the rebranding in advance and is not happy about it.

The problem here, of course, is that Bud Paxson isn't a broadcaster, but a wheeler-dealer.  That may've been OK when he was hawking cubic zirconium rings and Capodimonte figurines on cable TV, but not when you're trying to be taken seriously in the broadcasting industry.  This is just a sad story becoming sadder and sadder.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 12:34:05 PM by uncamark »

clemon79

PAX becomes i
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 02:38:43 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jun 29 2005, 09:33 AM\']The problem here, of course, is that Bud Paxson isn't a broadcaster, but a wheeler-dealer.  That may've been OK when he was hawking cubic zirconium rings and Capodimonte figurines on cable TV, but not when you're trying to be taken seriously in the broadcasting industry. 
[/quote]
It strikes me that the last guy named "Bud" who wasn't wholly full of what makes the grass grow green was Collyer.

Neumms

PAX becomes i
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 12:36:40 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 29 2005, 01:38 PM\']It strikes me that the last guy named "Bud" who wasn't wholly full of what makes the grass grow green was Collyer.
[snapback]90405[/snapback]
[/quote]

No, no, that'd be Bud Grant. And anyway, wasn't Collyer full of it? America's Number One Clockwatcher my ass.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
PAX becomes i
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 01:40:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Jun 30 2005, 12:36 AM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 29 2005, 01:38 PM\']It strikes me that the last guy named "Bud" who wasn't wholly full of what makes the grass grow green was Collyer.
[snapback]90405[/snapback]
[/quote]

No, no, that'd be Bud Grant. And anyway, wasn't Collyer full of it? America's Number One Clockwatcher my ass.
[snapback]90449[/snapback]
[/quote]

You both are forgetting Larry "Bud" Melman from Letterman's Late Night days...

Just thought I'd toss him in...

johnnya2k3

PAX becomes i
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2005, 03:13:22 AM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jun 28 2005, 01:45 PM\']Alex, you mention, almost in passing, that PAX will continue in some markets on a digital channel.  Currently, TBN is utilizing those extra digital channels that they own to air their two other networks that few have ever heard of.  So, PAX could conceivably do the same thing TBN has done.
[snapback]90317[/snapback]
[/quote]
Actually, TBN has four networks: TBN, The Church Channel, JC-TV (which is targeted at young adults), and TBN Enlace (the Spanish language TBN). They also have an Arabic language channel (seen in Arabic-speaking countries), and a children's channel may be coming soon.

Jonathan Allen