Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game-show related lyrics  (Read 7069 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Game-show related lyrics
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2005, 12:29:17 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 2 2005, 10:16 PM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jul 2 2005, 07:55 PM\']If you go by peak year on the charts (which is my preferred method of cataloguing music),
[/quote]
Which is totally ridiculous, because you set yourself up for a situation where you have different "birth years" for singles off of the same album, particularly with some of those mega-albums of the 1980's that spawned many many singles. (Huey Lewis & The News' "Sports", The Cars' "Heartbeat City" and Def Leppard's "Hysteria" come to mind.)
[snapback]90700[/snapback]
[/quote]
Well, not TOTALLY ridiculous (opinions being opinions and all).  :)

Not being an albums person, I tend to associate songs with the time they were being played to death on the radio, not to mention the possibility that edited or remixed versions of a song might have been the single version released well after the album's been out for awhile.  "Walking On A Thin Line" comes to mind--it was the fifth single released off of "Sports", so the edited single version hit radio, retail and the charts just about as the one-year anniversary of the album version was first being played on victrolas.  :)   So I don't associate "WOATL" with the fall of 1983, rather the fall of 1984.

OTOH, I don't completely rely on charts for cataloguing my library.  For example, Capitol released "Sgt. Pepper" backed with "With A Little Help From My Friends" as a single in 1978 (in spite of the movie ;-) ), and it happened to chart (I think it peaked at 71 that fall), but I still associate the two tunes with the LP's original release in 1967.  So while I do prefer to use charts as my guide, I'm not inflexible.

Your argument has a lot of merit (and mine prolly doesn't in your view, but it's MY preference dagnammit ;-) ).

Doug -- and the countdown to 1300 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Craig Karlberg

Game-show related lyrics
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2005, 03:37:09 AM »
I can see where Doug's going on this.  Not only am I a game show fan, but also a music lover by nature.  I usually go by the year the song peaked on the charts based on the fact that it was at that zenith on the charts at that point.  Whether it came from a newly released album or when it was re-released(sometimes as much as 9 years after it was recorded thanks to a Beatles hit), that's where my peak year chriteria comes into play.

ObGameShows:  Casey Kasem hosted 100%.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game-show related lyrics
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2005, 01:58:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jul 3 2005, 12:37 AM\']I usually go by the year the song peaked on the charts based on the fact that it was at that zenith on the charts at that point. 
[/quote]
Doug: I rest my case. ;)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

Game-show related lyrics
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2005, 07:26:59 PM »
Not being an albums person, I tend to associate songs with the time they were being played to death on the radio, not to mention the possibility that edited or remixed versions of a song might have been the single version released well after the album's been out for awhile. "Walking On A Thin Line" comes to mind--it was the fifth single released off of "Sports", so the edited single version hit radio, retail and the charts just about as the one-year anniversary of the album version was first being played on victrolas. :)

I have to agree with Doug on this one.  There were many cases in the '80s where albums were still churning out singles as much as a year and a half after their original release.  If an album came out in late 1983, for example, like Billy Joel's "An Innocent Man", but the last single wasn't out until early 1985 ("Keeping the Faith"), then to me, that last hit is from the year 1985 - especially since in that case it was a remix not available on the album.  Even Def Leppard's "Hysteria" took from August 1987 to March 1989 to release all seven singles from it.

I always compile my own personal favorite lists at the end of each year, and I always take the hit songs from that year - regardless of when the album came out.  These days, there are so few singles released that it's not really an issue anymore, but to each his own.  We all have our own preferences in the way we do things.

To put this back on topic, country singer George Strait had a song called  "Hollywood Squares" in the early '80s.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 07:28:15 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

aaron sica

Game-show related lyrics
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2005, 07:34:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jul 3 2005, 07:26 PM\']
To put this back on topic, country singer George Strait had a song called  "Hollywood Squares" in the early '80s.
[snapback]90734[/snapback]
[/quote]

While I'm not a big fan of country music, I like that song..

"...I got ex's all over the place and I owe so much..."

HairMetalLives

Game-show related lyrics
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2005, 08:55:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jul 3 2005, 03:26 PM\']George Strait had a song called  "Hollywood Squares" in the early '80s.
[snapback]90734[/snapback]
[/quote]
Ah ha! That reminds me of another trivia bit I'll throw out to you guys. Which late 80s metal band's demo was titled "Hollywood Squares?"

uncamark

Game-show related lyrics
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2005, 03:03:53 PM »
And no need to answer this, since it's already been answered, but has Alex yet to intone this...

"We're admittedly fond of this Greg Kihn hit from 1983."

Followed by...

"Pat and Vanna prefer this 1955 Kay Starr hit."

Queen of Nerdocrombesia

Game-show related lyrics
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2005, 03:23:03 PM »
[quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' date=\'Jul 3 2005, 07:55 PM\']Ah ha! That reminds me of another trivia bit I'll throw out to you guys. Which late 80s metal band's demo was titled "Hollywood Squares?"
[snapback]90738[/snapback]
[/quote]

Enuff Z'nuff.

And continuing, what relatively recent hardcore metal group had a song entitled "Hollywood Squares" as a track on their 2002 EP?
"These days, if a show doesn't make it in a couple of weeks, it goes out in the alley.  Faith has become too expensive."

--Garry Moore, 1979

DrBear

Game-show related lyrics
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2005, 10:07:50 AM »
All this and nobody's mentioned Marvin Gaye's tribute to his favorite game show, "What's Going On?"

Right on.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.