Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anyone know if this is real?  (Read 5602 times)

Kevin Prather

Anyone know if this is real?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2005, 05:49:16 PM »
First of all, there are nine letters, not eight.

Second of all, I think you're missing my point. Some Countdown players would rather have consonants and vowels come up in a certain order to make words easier to find.

There are lots of roots to look for. For example, lets say my first letter is a vowel: I. I then pick a consonant: G. I'm gonna start picking consonants hoping to get an N to create the suffix "-ing," giving me ample possibilities for 5, 6, or even 7 letter words.

Perhaps I'm not explaining this all too clear. And don't get me wrong, Chris. I totally see your point. I only hope you see mine as well.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2005, 06:15:00 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jul 6 2005, 02:49 PM\']First of all, there are nine letters, not eight.
[/quote]
'Kay. So add a fourth forced consonant in there.
There are lots of roots to look for. For example, lets say my first letter is a vowel: I. I then pick a consonant: G. I'm gonna start picking consonants hoping to get an N to create the suffix "-ing," giving me ample possibilities for 5, 6, or even 7 letter words.
I understand that, and perhaps this is the "subtle nuance" I'm missing. But it still seems to me that no matter what you're gonna have to call for four consonants and three vowels ANYHOW, and since you're getting thirty seconds of think time and paper and pencil regardless, the order in which those seven forced letters come up is of little relevance.

Now, maybe the part I'm missing (as a crappy Scrabble player) is that a good Countdown player is working on their word as the letters are coming up, instead of starting their work when the thirty seconds starts. If that is the case then I TOTALLY see where the order in which the letters come up might make a difference.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Brig Bother

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2005, 06:29:53 PM »
I largely suspect it's because that's the way it's always been and that's the way it is. What does Vanna White actually do?

Incidentally, AFAIK, Countdown is the only version of the Des Chiffres et des Lettres format where each person has the entire round to select the letters. In all the other versions I've seen (original French, Spanish, South African, the players take it in turns to select either vowels or consonants to the current line-up.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2005, 07:38:06 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 6 2005, 03:15 PM\']Now, maybe the part I'm missing (as a crappy Scrabble player) is that a good Countdown player is working on their word as the letters are coming up, instead of starting their work when the thirty seconds starts. If that is the case then I TOTALLY see where the order in which the letters come up might make a difference.
[snapback]90913[/snapback]
[/quote]

Bingo. :)