Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Ultimate Comparison  (Read 3770 times)

Don Howard

The Ultimate Comparison
« on: July 04, 2005, 01:18:39 PM »
Yes, it's The Ultimate Comparison on this 229th birthday of the USA.
But let's say it's 10:59am Eastern time on Labor Day 1972. Episode One of The New Price Is Right has just rolled over most CBS stations. That guy from Truth Or Consequences is hosting. Not our beloved Bill Cullen. Sure, we understand he's committed to Three On A Match on another network, but TPiR IS Bill Cullen. It was thus for nine years. And now we have all this.....this.....glitz. "Come on down!!". What's that all about?
What do you suppose reactions were across your town and around the nation?

Jimmy Owen

The Ultimate Comparison
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 01:38:27 PM »
I think we were watching the Jerry Lewis Telethon and I was dreading going back to school.  I think most others liked what they saw.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DjohnsonCB

The Ultimate Comparison
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 03:01:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jul 4 2005, 12:38 PM\']I think we were watching the Jerry Lewis Telethon and I was dreading going back to school.  I think most others liked what they saw.
[snapback]90747[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's exactly what was going on where I was at the time.  I couldn't watch TnPIR if I wanted to because of the telethon, and whatever memories I may have had about the old show were buried under more recent GS concerns, like not being able to watch Three On A Match anymore because old movies were running in place of it, Days Of Our Lives and The Doctors where I lived.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Ian Wallis

The Ultimate Comparison
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 03:27:28 PM »
Since school started the next day, our local summer fair was ending and I think that's where we were, because I have no memory of watching any of the premieres.  

I guess a lot of it depends on what age you were.  Since I grew up in the '70s, I was watching all of these shows for the first time - so they all seemed new and exciting.  At that time, I had no idea "Price is Right" was originally on in the '50s and '60s.  I had never seen the original verison of "Password", and that's also likely why I preferred the '70s version of "You Don't Say" over the '60s version.

Viewers probably thought the show had a nice variety to it with all these new pricing games - that it was a neat update to an old favorite.  They also likely thought it was a great chance to win more money and prizes than the original daytime version.  And hey...that music they're using is kind of catchy!

Speaking of Labor Day 1972, we have the premieres of "Joker's Wild" and "Price is Right" in the trade curcuit.  Now, if somebody could just find us "Gambit" we'd be all set!  :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

The Ol' Guy

The Ultimate Comparison
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 07:50:16 AM »
...ah, I remember the day of the big three debuts very well. I recall thinking:

JOKER: Great show...even if Barry looked like 20 miles of bad road!

GAMBIT: Not too bad...

PRICE: How long until Monty Hall files suit?

The Pyramids

The Ultimate Comparison
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 09:16:28 PM »
I think my biggest reaction would have been the 'Lets Make a Deal' similarities.

I belive the 'New Price Is Right' came out of the starting gate fast. Viewers obiously got used to the new version quickly and liked what they saw, just like the way the 'Match Game' remake would be well received the following year.

musicman

The Ultimate Comparison
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 12:18:36 AM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Jul 7 2005, 08:16 PM\']I think my biggest reaction would have been the 'Lets Make a Deal' similarities.[/quote]

I remember thinking that too... way back when I was about five in '90!

I wonder what would happen if LMAD was revived (with no risque deals), at studio 33 with only a SLIGHTLY altered TPIR set?  (three big doors, a spot on the side to make smaller deals with the turntable to reveal the gift and/or a box)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Ultimate Comparison
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 12:47:40 AM »
[quote name=\'musicman\' date=\'Jul 7 2005, 09:18 PM\']I wonder what would happen if LMAD was revived (with no risque deals), at studio 33 with only a SLIGHTLY altered TPIR set?  (three big doors, a spot on the side to make smaller deals with the turntable to reveal the gift and/or a box)
[/quote]
It would look cheap and SOMEONE here would whine about it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

musicman

The Ultimate Comparison
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005, 03:02:55 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 7 2005, 11:47 PM\']It would look cheap[/quote]

How so?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Ultimate Comparison
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2005, 03:22:59 PM »
[quote name=\'musicman\' date=\'Jul 8 2005, 12:02 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 7 2005, 11:47 PM\']It would look cheap[/quote]
How so?
[/quote]
Because people would say "hey, what's this show they're recycling the TPiR set for?" I don't care what logo you slap on the doors, most people are gonna know the TPiR set when they see it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe