Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The future of our genre  (Read 9536 times)

Don Howard

The future of our genre
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2005, 02:22:32 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 18 2005, 09:40 PM\']Not sure why, but your wit seems to remind me of Bill Rafferty or Pat Sajak. I guess it's a dry wit.
[snapback]91761[/snapback]
[/quote]
It's probably dry because I've been on the wagon for 292 days. My last night out was Sept 30th of last year. I got wasted on Sept. 30th because that was the anniversary of the cancellations of It's Anybody's Guess and Shoot For The Stars. Nice of the bw-3 crowd to join me in tribute to those classics. Of course, that could be because I was buying.
Yep, I think daytime network games are done. That troika of Scrabble, Scattergories and Family Secrets during the spring of 1993 was a fluke. I'm happily incredulous that The Price Is Right has lasted this long. As soon as Bob Barker leaves us (no speculation, please, as to his successor), I can see CBS putting their publicly unspoken plan in motion to expand The Bold And The Beautiful to an hour.

Ian Wallis

The future of our genre
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2005, 02:49:16 PM »
I'm not as optimistic. TPIR is to daytime game shows what "Gunsmoke" was to TV westerns and Carol Burnett was to variety shows.

Interesting note about "Gunsmoke" that some of you may have heard before:  the show was originally slated to be cancelled after the 1966-67 season, but the CBS programming chief's wife really liked the show and wanted it to stay on.  Result:  they cancelled the planned fourth season "Gilligan's Island" instead, and "Gunsmoke" lasted another 8 years.

ObGame Show:  Bob Denver was a guest on "Celebrity Sweepstakes".
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
The future of our genre
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2005, 03:08:59 PM »
The cycle will come around again, perhaps not like it was in the old days and perhaps not with the panache of the old shows, but game shows will have a boom period again eventually. Nothing goes away completely.
Yeah, maybe Family Feud will turn into another Jeopardy! or Wheel in syndication. Maybe they'll bring back Hollywood Squares again. But it seems to me that every time Fremental trots out a Match Game or Card Sharks and runs it into the ground, it's another nail in the coffin for those shows specifically and the genre in general. Maybe a successful import will come along again a la Millionaire, but I don't see anything coming from this country. I think "boom period" is going way too far.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 03:10:52 PM by chris319 »

aaron sica

The future of our genre
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2005, 03:41:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jul 19 2005, 02:22 PM\']I can see CBS putting their publicly unspoken plan in motion to expand The Bold And The Beautiful to an hour.
[snapback]91821[/snapback]
[/quote]

OK, Don, I'd like your opinion on this one.......What would that do to the CBS schedule? As some of us may know, since March 1987, the 12:30-4pm window has remained UNTOUCHED. Y&R's been airing 12:30-1:30 pm (ET) since June 1981, and I doubt CBS would want to mess up a good thing considering it's been #1 in daytime for a long time.

I can see them putting B&B on at 11am (ET) in the TPiR slot once it exits, giving 12:30 back to its affiliates (ABC and NBC don't program anything at 12:30), and pushing Y&R from 1-2.

And as for the comments made about TPiR being the last network game show, I agree with that too. Once it's gone, network game shows are gone.

Don Howard

The future of our genre
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2005, 11:23:43 PM »
I won't copy the quote since everybody can just look up and/or they've just read it. That's exactly what I believe The Eye Network will do. The move to 1pm ET won't hurt Y&R one bit. That show's fan base is legion and would follow it to 3am to get their Victor and Nikki fix. The two P&G shows (As The World Turns and Guiding Light) have been on for 49 and 68 years respectively. They're staying put even though their ratings are not topping the scales.

NOTE FOR MEDIA HISTORIANS: I'm including GL's robust run on radio in the 68-year figure listed above.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 11:25:00 PM by Don Howard »

Sonic Whammy

The future of our genre
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2005, 12:09:02 AM »
WHOA!

Seriously, you guys. I have to say a couple things here. First of all, I would have never expected all of you to spill your guts like this. So NOT what I was asking for, but I thank you guys a lot for the hands in friendship. This has got to be the most personal conversation I've ever been involved in. And look at all that's happened since yesterday!

This is reminding me of another thing. A bunch of you have also gotten the chance to meet each other face to face. I never got to do that. And since time and money are still an issue with me, I encourage immediate flights to Newark airport followed by cab rides to Saddle Brook so I can hug you all!

I know that it doesn't say a lot of me when I have to vent like I did, but it needed to be done. It's how I get back to the calm, charming fellow I once was. I'm sure it's gonna happen for me one day, and I'm not gonna give up. It's just that we're in a sucky time for game shows. Heck, Steve Beverly just semi-echoed my rant in his new All In The Game column. So at least I know I'm not alone in certain ways.

But if nothing else, while I'm waiting for my chance, I do know that life is still going on, and I got a reminder of that today. Last night, my sister Tracy (who was going to be my Race partner for AR9) was a passenger in a sizable accident. Friend's car was totalled, her knee's hurtin' bad (getting an MRI on it to make sure nothing's wrong), swollen nose and fractured sternum (both from the seat belt and airbag). Gonna put her on the sidelines for singing, Racing, and a few other things for a while. I'm just glad she's OK and all, and I think if there was any chip still on my shoulder, that just knocked it off. Funny how these kind of things do that, right?

I'd tell you where to e-mail, but she'd probably kill me (hates when I pile the game show stuff on her, woulda made for great TV). So if you want to send ME good wishes to pass on to her, no sweat. Do it on my message board on my site, though.

OK, that's it. Back to the fun and games of NetPYL. (See? Now if I only made money doing it... ;-P )
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 12:10:43 AM by Sonic Whammy »
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

mystery7

The future of our genre
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2005, 12:52:28 AM »
I'd send some wishes but there's no topic for that on your forum yet. And do we have to be so public? Surely there's another way to do this.

FOXSportsFan

The future of our genre
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2005, 11:13:04 AM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Jul 19 2005, 11:52 PM\']I'd send some wishes but there's no topic for that on your forum yet. And do we have to be so public? Surely there's another way to do this.
[snapback]91858[/snapback]
[/quote]

Of course there is...and don't call me surely.

Don Howard

The future of our genre
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2005, 11:37:11 AM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Jul 20 2005, 10:13 AM\'][quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Jul 19 2005, 11:52 PM\']I'd send some wishes but there's no topic for that on your forum yet. And do we have to be so public? Surely there's another way to do this.
[/quote]
Of course there is...and don't call me surely.
[snapback]91866[/snapback]
[/quote]
But since it was brought up, I submit the following. If the roles were reversed, I'd be significantly more distressed over my sister's sizeable accident than the future a television genre.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
The future of our genre
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2005, 11:40:07 AM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' date=\'Jul 19 2005, 11:09 PM\']This is reminding me of another thing. A bunch of you have also gotten the chance to meet each other face to face. I never got to do that. And since time and money are still an issue with me, I encourage immediate flights to Newark airport followed by cab rides to Saddle Brook so I can hug you all!
[snapback]91852[/snapback]
[/quote]
Wow.

Thoughts and prayers for your sister, though.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

GS Warehouse

The future of our genre
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2005, 12:07:56 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Jul 20 2005, 10:13 AM\'][quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Jul 19 2005, 11:52 PM\']... Surely there's another way to do this.
[/quote]Of course there is...and don't call me surely.
[snapback]91866[/snapback]
[/quote]
[throws airplanes at FSF]

TimK2003

The future of our genre
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2005, 09:36:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jul 18 2005, 09:35 PM\']Interesting thing (to me). Forever, I wanted to be an emcee so I got into radio to work on my live working without a net audience participation skills. I love radio so much I don't care if an emcee job (at no matter what level) comes my way. I'm perfectly happy to be out of the central spotlight and serve as announcer for various regional productions and the upcoming GSC-4 during Travis' Price Is Right opening night presentation.
[snapback]91759[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hey Don,

Don't know if you heard, but they're currently auditioning people to be the next Cleveland Cavaliers P.A. announcer.  Maybe a trip down to the Gund may be worth your while, or anyone else who would like to be paid to have a season-long courtside seat to watch LeBron James!!!

P.S.   Curiosity is lurking in this fellow Clevelander, drop me a private e-mail, as I have some questions to ask of you.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
The future of our genre
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2005, 02:09:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' date=\'Jul 18 2005, 01:36 PM\']First, I'm from Jersey, which means Millionaire and the new Ken Jennings show (which I failed the test for) are the only games in town. [/quote]
I live in Iowa.
There's nothing close to me.  At least you have those two going for ya.
--Mark
Phil 4:13