Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Game on Yahoo!  (Read 5457 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
New Game on Yahoo!
« on: July 14, 2005, 06:47:03 PM »
Don't get excited for an online multiplayer version as we did. Much in the same vain as "Jeopardy" and "Wheel" on MSN, this is a trial version that encourages you to pay for a full one. The difference here is the trial is a ~11 MB download that lasts for 30 minutes.

You can play solo or on teams. Use the left or right (depending on team) shift to buzz-in, then play Feud like you're use to. The game uses the current TV format.

PROS
-The game is presented as it is on TV, no changes (cept for good ones, like...)
-The game plays a 5th round at triple points if no family has reached 300; no silly "tiebreaker."
-The engine is quick and slick.
-Uses real music cues & SFX from the show.
-Fast Money is real good; awards 20,000 points for winning, shows you the results and number ones even after a premature win, etc.
-Game reveals questions one word at a time for fair play in 2-team games.

CONS
-The graphics do their job, but the whole game is played floating above a "Feud" wallpaper. Feels cheap. No BIG problem, but...
-If I'm paying $30 (!) to register this for full, I'd like to be like its $30 CD-ROM counterparts. $20 would be more fair, IMHO.

There's a link on the Yahoo! Games frontpage now for it - go download and share your opinion! It's pretty good, overall.

-Jason
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 06:48:08 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Red

New Game on Yahoo!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 08:08:15 PM »
Another Con, it froze myself and  Rob's computers and we had to restart..So I wouldnt both even getting trying the Trial.
-Paul Ford

RedGiant@toonzone.net

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
New Game on Yahoo!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 08:14:08 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Jul 14 2005, 03:47 PM\']The difference here is the trial is a ~11 MB download that lasts for 30 minutes.
[/quote]
One word: Broadband.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
New Game on Yahoo!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 10:36:51 PM »
No, no, no. It took me less than twenty seconds to DOWNLOAD. You get to play the game for 30 minutes before it expires and puts up a "buy" message. My bad.

-Jason
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 10:37:11 PM by JasonA1 »

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
New Game on Yahoo!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 10:03:09 AM »
I downloaded the game yesterday.  Played it with my wife, who likes FF quite a lot (her favorite show is Blockbusters, though).  Then after 1 game, we decided to purchase it.

Very fast-paced game that stays about 95% true to the show.  Unlike the PS1/PC version that came out a couple of years ago, this one has a true soundtrack.

Not a bad adaptation.  Well worth the $29.99 paid.

Matthew
--Matt

aaron sica

New Game on Yahoo!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 10:10:42 AM »
I decided to download it last night after reading about it here....Not a bad game at all, it was fun to play and pretty true to the TV show.

I do have one question though, who does the voice belong to? It almost sounded like one of the commentators on the Sega NFL games that were made for the Dreamcast..

jmangin

New Game on Yahoo!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 10:12:01 AM »
Meh, I wasn't that impressed.  I got a strike for giving the answer "clothing," only to find out that "clothes" was the #1 answer.  Annoying.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
New Game on Yahoo!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 11:55:50 AM »
That was one sentiment I agreed with - BUT, I've been spoiled by using Todd's software at the holidays for "Feud" and not having to deal with that problem. It just comes with the territory.

-Jason

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
New Game on Yahoo!
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 02:07:39 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Jul 15 2005, 08:55 AM\']That was one sentiment I agreed with - BUT, I've been spoiled by using Todd's software at the holidays for "Feud" and not having to deal with that problem. It just comes with the territory.
[/quote]
Doesn't have to. Any software like that ought to have as part of its database acceptable synonymous answers for each question, and some kind of engine that catches rudimentary spelling mistakes. Not taking "clothing" for "clothes" is a pretty major error.

(Of course, the good thing about offering a product as a download is that mistakes like this can be fixed.)

I played with it. It strikes me as Family Feud meets You Don't Know Jack. Mildly amusing, but no way in hell would I drop 30 bones on it, especially when in all likelyhood I'll be able to get We Love Katamari for less.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

FeudDude

New Game on Yahoo!
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 02:10:23 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' date=\'Jul 15 2005, 10:12 AM\']Meh, I wasn't that impressed.  I got a strike for giving the answer "clothing," only to find out that "clothes" was the #1 answer.  Annoying.
[snapback]91485[/snapback]
[/quote]

There was one question where I gave "humor" as an answer and got a strike.  Then I guessed "personality" and they accepted that as another way of saying "sense of humor".

The game is a pretty solid effort overall, but it just needs some fine-tuning in that area.

johnnyd1788

New Game on Yahoo!
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 02:30:51 PM »
[quote name=\'FeudDude\' date=\'Jul 15 2005, 01:10 PM\'][quote name=\'jmangin\' date=\'Jul 15 2005, 10:12 AM\']Meh, I wasn't that impressed.  I got a strike for giving the answer "clothing," only to find out that "clothes" was the #1 answer.  Annoying.
[snapback]91485[/snapback]
[/quote]

There was one question where I gave "humor" as an answer and got a strike.  Then I guessed "personality" and they accepted that as another way of saying "sense of humor".

The game is a pretty solid effort overall, but it just needs some fine-tuning in that area.
[snapback]91507[/snapback]
[/quote]

It seems the game is programmed so certain words can trigger a phrase, while one word in the phrase deosn't trigger it. And I've also noticed (for all of you people who have trouble spelling) that if you spell it wrong but it sort of looksl ike the word. they'll take it. So it's all good.

FOXSportsFan

New Game on Yahoo!
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2005, 03:36:50 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jul 15 2005, 09:10 AM\']I decided to download it last night after reading about it here....Not a bad game at all, it was fun to play and pretty true to the TV show.

I do have one question though, who does the voice belong to? It almost sounded like one of the commentators on the Sega NFL games that were made for the Dreamcast..
[snapback]91484[/snapback]
[/quote]

You are correct it's the guy who plays "Dan Stevens" in the now deceased Sega Sports NFL2K series of games, a guy by the name of Jay Styne.

aaron sica

New Game on Yahoo!
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 05:30:46 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Jul 15 2005, 03:36 PM\']You are correct it's the guy who plays "Dan Stevens" in the now deceased Sega Sports NFL2K series of games, a guy by the name of Jay Styne.
[snapback]91514[/snapback]
[/quote]

"I'm Dan Stevens, and this is Peter O'Keefe".......Glad to know I wasn't delusional. Thanks!

FOXSportsFan

New Game on Yahoo!
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2005, 08:59:27 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jul 15 2005, 04:30 PM\'][quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Jul 15 2005, 03:36 PM\']You are correct it's the guy who plays "Dan Stevens" in the now deceased Sega Sports NFL2K series of games, a guy by the name of Jay Styne.
[snapback]91514[/snapback]
[/quote]

"I'm Dan Stevens, and this is Peter O'Keefe".......Glad to know I wasn't delusional. Thanks!
[snapback]91523[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hey, the jury's still out on that...I kid.

Anyway, I liked the YIM/iWin Feud game.  It goes at a swift pace and is simple yet effective.  That said it's not worth $30...maybe $15 is more feasible.

dmota104

New Game on Yahoo!
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 12:42:15 PM »
Time for me to vent a little.

In one round, the host asked, "Name something associated with John Travolta."  Among the answers: Saturday Night Fever, Pulp Fiction, Grease and -- "movies"?!?!

Yeah, that's right -- three specific titles and then Two of a Kind, Face/Off, et al, are allegedly grouped under "movies".

Add me to the list of those not shelling out the 30 bucks for this.