Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TV Guide listing request  (Read 6146 times)

Steve Gavazzi

TV Guide listing request
« on: July 12, 2005, 10:13:59 PM »
Does anybody have a TV Guide with the weeks of September 1-5 or September 8-12, 1975?  I'm doing some research into TPIR's airdates that probably none of you care about, and it would really help if I knew for sure which one of those weeks the trial hour-long shows aired during.  The prevailing notion seems to be Labor Day week, but the production numbers don't match up with that, and I found an ATGS post by David Hammett from 1996 where he says that it was actually the following week.

So...anyone feel like helping?

Jimmy Owen

TV Guide listing request
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 10:24:42 PM »
September 8-12 was the week of the hour-long shows.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Steve Gavazzi

TV Guide listing request
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 10:29:26 PM »
Awesome.  Muchas gracias.

DjohnsonCB

TV Guide listing request
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 10:46:39 PM »
CBS premiered "Give-N-Take" the week that TPIR experimented with an hour format; there was a half-page ad mentioning both shows in TV Guide's 1975 Fall Preview Issue which I still have.  The previous Monday was Labor Day, the only day (so far) I ever got to watch "Spin-Off", which was to end its run four days later.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
TV Guide listing request
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 02:36:08 AM »
So, if I assume correctly, Give-N-Take was new at 10:00 on 9/8, Price was on for an hour at 10:30, preempting Gambit for this experimental week... and Curt Alliaume's schedule grid corroborates the 9/8/75 date. Bravo detective work all around.

Ian Wallis

TV Guide listing request
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 09:05:25 AM »
So, if I assume correctly, Give-N-Take was new at 10:00 on 9/8, Price was on for an hour at 10:30, preempting Gambit for this experimental week... and Curt Alliaume's schedule grid corroborates the 9/8/75 date.

When "Price" expanded to an hour permanently on Nov 3, 1975, CBS moved "Give-N-Take" to the 4 p.m. slot.  I can't think of too many other shows that have led off the day, and then were moved to end the day.  I guess it didn't really matter - "Give-N-Take" was gone by Nov 26, 1975 to make room for "All in the Family" reruns.

I know it's been wondered in the past why CBS didn't delay the debut of "Give-N-Take" to the 15th rather than pre-empt "Gambit" for that week.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

ChuckNet

TV Guide listing request
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 06:19:59 PM »
I know it's been wondered in the past why CBS didn't delay the debut of "Give-N-Take" to the 15th rather than pre-empt "Gambit" for that week.

Especially since GNT was a rather weak game to begin with...the set was cool, and the Stan Worth theme music pretty catchy, but not much else.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
TV Guide listing request
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 10:34:44 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jul 13 2005, 06:19 PM\']Especially since GNT was a rather weak game to begin with...the set was cool, and the Stan Worth theme music pretty catchy, but not much else.
[/quote]

Well, there is some novelty to seeing four women screaming mad at an arrow going around in circles, etc etc... but there isn't much to this game, one can see why it failed... too gimmicky.

Don Howard

TV Guide listing request
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 11:15:43 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Jul 13 2005, 09:34 PM\'][quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jul 13 2005, 06:19 PM\']Especially since GNT was a rather weak game to begin with...the set was cool, and the Stan Worth theme music pretty catchy, but not much else.
[/quote]
Well, there is some novelty to seeing four women screaming mad at an arrow going around in circles, etc etc... but there isn't much to this game, one can see why it failed... too gimmicky.
[snapback]91416[/snapback]
[/quote]
How'd it get on in the first place? Or was Spin-Off doing so poorly CBS knew something else--anything else!!!!--would be an improvement. Or so they thought. I was watching Celebrity Sweepstakes at that half-hour anyway.
I do recall promos plugging the first $10000 Super Spin-Off winning couple were shown on prime time the night before the big win during Hawaii Five-O. The networks were spoiling finishes even then.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 11:16:58 PM by Don Howard »

tyshaun1

TV Guide listing request
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 11:33:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jul 13 2005, 11:15 PM\']How'd it get on in the first place?
[snapback]91422[/snapback]
[/quote]
One thing that could be said about Carruthers' shows; whether you agree or not if they had strong gameplay, they definitely had solid production values.

Tyshaun

tvwxman

TV Guide listing request
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 04:34:46 AM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Jul 13 2005, 10:33 PM\']
One thing that could be said about Carruthers' shows; whether you agree or not if they had strong gameplay, they definitely had solid production values.

Tyshaun
[snapback]91425[/snapback]
[/quote]

Something, i'd imagine,  housewives in the 70s couldn't care less about.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

AH3RD

TV Guide listing request
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2005, 04:30:25 PM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Jul 12 2005, 09:46 PM\']CBS premiered "Give-N-Take" the week that TPIR experimented with an hour format; there was a half-page ad mentioning both shows in TV Guide's 1975 Fall Preview Issue which I still have.  The previous Monday was Labor Day, the only day (so far) I ever got to watch "Spin-Off", which was to end its run four days later.
[snapback]91330[/snapback]
[/quote]

The weekly primetime Match Game PM bowed in syndication on New York City's ABC affiliate WABC-TV Channel 7 @ 7:30pm (EDT) on September 8; it sprouted on several other ABC stations throughout the nation during this week.

It certainly wasn't host Jim Lange's time to howl, what with 2 back-to-back CBS Daytime game shows under his belt---Spin-Off and Give-N-Take---and having both of them bomb within the same year.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 04:36:57 PM by AH3RD »
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

Don Howard

TV Guide listing request
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 04:50:35 PM »
[quote name=\'AH3RD\' date=\'Jul 15 2005, 03:30 PM\']The weekly primetime Match Game PM bowed in syndication on New York City's ABC affiliate WABC-TV Channel 7 @ 7:30pm (EDT) on September 8; it sprouted on several other ABC stations throughout the nation during this week.

It certainly wasn't host Jim Lange's time to howl, what with 2 back-to-back CBS Daytime game shows under his belt---Spin-Off and Give-N-Take---and having both of them bomb within the same year.
[snapback]91518[/snapback]
[/quote]
Hell, they collectively bombed within six months. There was even the embarrassment of being kicked down to 4:00pm for the final three weeks.
In Baltimore, Match Game PM premiered on the Wednesday of that week on NBC affiliate WBAL-TV Channel 11 on your dial following Bowling For Dollars starring Ron Riley.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 04:51:55 PM by Don Howard »

tvwxman

TV Guide listing request
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2005, 04:51:14 PM »
[quote name=\'AH3RD\' date=\'Jul 15 2005, 03:30 PM\']It certainly wasn't host Jim Lange's time to howl, what with 2 back-to-back CBS Daytime game shows under his belt---Spin-Off and Give-N-Take---and having both of them bomb within the same year.
[snapback]91518[/snapback]
[/quote]

Just like all of his other shows, save for Dating Game (and Gawd knows he didn't have much to do with that gameplay).... It's one thing for a good host to save a bad game, or a good game to overshadow a bad host, but most of the time, Jim was a bad host in front of a bad game.

Housewifes screaming in front of a spinner? Please.
June Lockhart gives definitions for cheap prizes? Yawn.
Couples play "wheel" without a wheel, for a million bucks? Lame.
Name That Tune gets revived with a host who couldn't adlib off of cue-cards? Yowza.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TV Guide listing request
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2005, 05:33:23 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jul 15 2005, 01:51 PM\']Name That Tune gets revived with a host who couldn't adlib off of cue-cards? Yowza.
[/quote]
Line Of The Day.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe