Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TV Guide listing request  (Read 6147 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
TV Guide listing request
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2005, 05:34:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jul 15 2005, 03:50 PM\']In Baltimore, Match Game PM premiered on the Wednesday of that week on NBC affiliate WBAL-TV Channel 11 on your dial following Bowling For Dollars starring Ron Riley.
[snapback]91520[/snapback]
[/quote]
The same Ron Riley who was a top rock jock at WLS in the mid-1960s (I seem to recall some nugget about him going to Baltimore after leaving Chicago, but I'm not sure if that was accurate)?

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

uncamark

TV Guide listing request
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2005, 05:58:51 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jul 15 2005, 04:34 PM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jul 15 2005, 03:50 PM\']In Baltimore, Match Game PM premiered on the Wednesday of that week on NBC affiliate WBAL-TV Channel 11 on your dial following Bowling For Dollars starring Ron Riley.
[snapback]91520[/snapback]
[/quote]
The same Ron Riley who was a top rock jock at WLS in the mid-1960s (I seem to recall some nugget about him going to Baltimore after leaving Chicago, but I'm not sure if that was accurate)?
[snapback]91526[/snapback]
[/quote]

Same guy.  I believe he's still doing weather out in Baltimore at WBAL.  (When I was in Washington a couple of years ago, for some reason the cable picks up WBAL and I could've seen him, if I'd remembered and caught him at the right time.  Still got a look at Mac MacGarry and "It's Academic" on WRC, though.)

Fedya

TV Guide listing request
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2005, 10:11:42 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jul 15 2005, 04:58 PM\'](When I was in Washington a couple of years ago, for some reason the cable picks up WBAL and I could've seen him, if I'd remembered and caught him at the right time.  Still got a look at Mac MacGarry and "It's Academic" on WRC, though.)
[snapback]91528[/snapback]
[/quote]
Those in the know can answer: Wouldn't cable systems in Washington have to pick up Baltimore stations due to the must-carry rule and the proximity of the two cities?

(Those not in the know please don't answer, even though I know this warning won't stop some of you from trying.  :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

dzinkin

TV Guide listing request
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2005, 10:17:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Jul 16 2005, 10:11 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jul 15 2005, 04:58 PM\'](When I was in Washington a couple of years ago, for some reason the cable picks up WBAL and I could've seen him, if I'd remembered and caught him at the right time.  Still got a look at Mac MacGarry and "It's Academic" on WRC, though.)
[snapback]91528[/snapback]
[/quote]
Those in the know can answer: Wouldn't cable systems in Washington have to pick up Baltimore stations due to the must-carry rule and the proximity of the two cities?

(Those not in the know please don't answer, even though I know this warning won't stop some of you from trying.  :-)
[snapback]91593[/snapback]
[/quote]
Must-carry applies only to stations in the cable system's designated market area; since Baltimore and Washington are in separate DMAs, Baltimore stations can't demand must-carry in DC.  A DC cable system may be able to carry Baltimore stations as "significantly viewed" channels under certain conditions, and here, proximity to Baltimore is a factor -- but the Baltimore stations couldn't demand it.

tvwxman

TV Guide listing request
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2005, 09:35:56 AM »
Cable companies that show two markets of networks have long been the battleground between the affiliates, especially where money from ad revenue is concerned....Growing up in Miami, we used to get the Palm Beach stations on our cable...no more....

More pertinent to the query : Going to school in DC, I had both DC & Balto networks on our cable....that died a few years ago (10?).... I believe it was NBC4 in DC (an O&O) that first complained openly about losing viewers to (at the time) NBC2 in Baltimore...resulting in the removal of them on the cable box....

Nowadays, here in CT... I get both Hartford & NYC stations on my Comcast....it's the ONLY reason I like Comcast....
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

aaron sica

TV Guide listing request
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2005, 10:09:58 AM »
Years ago down here (when I lived here as a child the *FIRST* time), the cable company (two pre-buyouts ago, when it was Sammons) carried the Harrisburg stations, naturally, but also the 3 Baltimore network channels, and all of the Phily channels (except for PBS). These days, it's now Comcast and the only network channels it carries are from Harrisburg (with the exception of WPIX-11 (WB, NY) and WPHL-17 (WB, Philly)).

Ironically, it's the first time I've lived somewhere and had cable where I *didn't* have more than one of each major network. Then again, I was never this close (I'm just over the river from Harrisburg, a TV market) to one.

ObGameShow: Back when it was Sammons, they had KYW-3 which carried CS reruns at 12:30pm.

dzinkin

TV Guide listing request
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2005, 10:40:23 AM »
Here, People's Cable brought in the Big 3 networks from Buffalo and NBC from Syracuse.  Since WROC (then NBC) didn't carry Blockbusters, Las Vegas Gambit, or the earlier episodes of MG-HS and Go, and WHEC (then CBS) didn't carry Press Your Luck except during a brief power outage, the only way to see these shows was via cable or a combination of perfect weather and a really good antenna.  (I still maintain that WHEC's refusal to carry PYL was a public service, but that's a topic for another thread. ;-)

When I lived in Buffalo years later, the Buffalo affiliates loved to pre-empt their respective networks on a regular basis; the CBS affiliate often pre-empted the CBS Evening News for infomercials, to give just one of many examples.  For a while TCI offered what it called "network additions" -- it would carry the Erie affiliates while those stations were airing network programming that the Buffalo affiliates didn't carry -- but that came to an end with the 1992 Cable Act.

I wasn't able to get multiple affiliates of a network regularly again until I got my dish, and at least for now, I still have them.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 10:41:37 AM by dzinkin »