Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tons of TPiR clips  (Read 10736 times)

Kevin Prather

Tons of TPiR clips
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2005, 06:53:06 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jul 16 2005, 03:37 PM\'][quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jul 16 2005, 05:03 PM\'][quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jul 16 2005, 03:39 PM\']This wonderful page continues to grow, and continues to outdo itself with each update.
[snapback]91575[/snapback]
[/quote]
According to his site, no additional updates are anticipated in the foreseeable future.

Wouldn't hurt to sign his guestbook and thank him.
[snapback]91580[/snapback]
[/quote]

No, it wouldn't, would it? Should have thought of that myself.
[snapback]91584[/snapback]
[/quote]

I signed the guestbook thanking him for the clips...and thanking him ten times more for the uncensored Yolanda clip. ;-)

xibit777

Tons of TPiR clips
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2005, 07:05:22 PM »
I miss Rod.  Seeing some of these clips really brings back memories.   Don't get me wrong, Rich is awesome.   But there was just something about Rod that made him perfect for the show.    And it's sad knowing he's gone forever.

Kevin Prather

Tons of TPiR clips
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2005, 08:24:52 PM »
[quote name=\'xibit777\' date=\'Jul 16 2005, 04:05 PM\']I miss Rod.  Seeing some of these clips really brings back memories.   Don't get me wrong, Rich is awesome.   But there was just something about Rod that made him perfect for the show.    And it's sad knowing he's gone forever.
[snapback]91586[/snapback]
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more.

Although I prefer to think he's not "gone." I feel like his essence will always be with us, even if his soul isn't. Forgive me if that sounds overzealous, but that's what I believe.

dzinkin

Tons of TPiR clips
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2005, 08:56:10 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jul 16 2005, 08:24 PM\'][quote name=\'xibit777\' date=\'Jul 16 2005, 04:05 PM\']I miss Rod.  Seeing some of these clips really brings back memories.   Don't get me wrong, Rich is awesome.   But there was just something about Rod that made him perfect for the show.    And it's sad knowing he's gone forever.
[snapback]91586[/snapback]
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more.

Although I prefer to think he's not "gone." I feel like his essence will always be with us, even if his soul isn't. Forgive me if that sounds overzealous, but that's what I believe.
[snapback]91588[/snapback]
[/quote]
I don't think "overzealous" is the word you're looking for -- in that case you'd be demanding that everyone agree with you and leading a prayer session with everyone facing Beverly Boulevard. :-)

Perhaps "overly sentimental" or "somewhat strange."

FOXSportsFan

Tons of TPiR clips
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2005, 09:36:09 PM »
I've checked out some of the new clips and, being the aspiring announcer I am, was most intrigued with Gene Wood's tenure on Price as interim announcer when Johnny O passed on.  I'll say this...Gene was a great announcer on most everything he did, except Price.  Not to say he was horrible, but it just seems like his style didn't mesh well with the fast paced nature of Price.  Being that I was too young to remember the first tryouts, anyone care to make mention of how the other tryouts aside from Rod and Gene (i.e. Rich Jefferies, Bob Hilton, et al) sounded in your estimations?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 09:36:44 PM by FOXSportsFan »

aaron sica

Tons of TPiR clips
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2005, 12:35:12 AM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Jul 16 2005, 09:36 PM\']I've checked out some of the new clips and, being the aspiring announcer I am, was most intrigued with Gene Wood's tenure on Price as interim announcer when Johnny O passed on.  I'll say this...Gene was a great announcer on most everything he did, except Price.  Not to say he was horrible, but it just seems like his style didn't mesh well with the fast paced nature of Price. 
[snapback]91590[/snapback]
[/quote]

I agree with you, and this is the best way I can think of to put it - for the intro's, Johnny and Rod projected enthusiasm...("....and NOW....here is the STAR of the Price is Right"..) while Gene seemed more serious in his intro....

cmjb13

Tons of TPiR clips
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2005, 08:35:36 AM »
Useless bit of information:

In the 15th Season Premiere clip, Goodson calls Rod, "Ron".

The CBS.com article on choosing Rich Fields mistakenly referred to him as "Ron"

There also was a website that had audio only of the late 1985 announcer tryouts, but it's outdated.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 08:40:42 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Steve Gavazzi

Tons of TPiR clips
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2005, 09:18:03 AM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Jul 16 2005, 09:36 PM\']anyone care to make mention of how the other tryouts aside from Rod and Gene (i.e. Rich Jefferies, Bob Hilton, et al) sounded in your estimations?
[/quote]

Just being picky here...but Jeffries and Hilton were the only other tryouts.

Don Howard

Tons of TPiR clips
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2005, 12:39:02 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Jul 17 2005, 08:18 AM\'][quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Jul 16 2005, 09:36 PM\']anyone care to make mention of how the other tryouts aside from Rod and Gene (i.e. Rich Jefferies, Bob Hilton, et al) sounded in your estimations?
[/quote]
Just being picky here...but Jeffries and Hilton were the only other tryouts.
[snapback]91607[/snapback]
[/quote]
True this. When I heard Rich Jeffries, I thought, "God, in heaven, no!!!!!!!". I was sure Bob Hilton had a lock on it. And I guess he did. But he turned it down, darn it.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
Tons of TPiR clips
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2005, 04:04:22 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jul 17 2005, 08:35 AM\']There also was a website that had audio only of the late 1985 announcer tryouts, but it's outdated.
[/quote]

Cough, cough, ahem! That was me, way back in the day when I was doing audio features.

musicman

Tons of TPiR clips
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2005, 10:49:25 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Jul 16 2005, 08:36 PM\']I've checked out some of the new clips and, being the aspiring announcer I am, was most intrigued with Gene Wood's tenure on Price as interim announcer when Johnny O passed on.  I'll say this...Gene was a great announcer on most everything he did, except Price.  Not to say he was horrible, but it just seems like his style didn't mesh well with the fast paced nature of Price.  Being that I was too young to remember the first tryouts, anyone care to make mention of how the other tryouts aside from Rod and Gene (i.e. Rich Jefferies, Bob Hilton, et al) sounded in your estimations?[/quote]

While watching a Nov. '91 CBS episode of FF (TPIR vs. Y&R), Gene Wood had the bizzare duty to tell Bob Barker and Rod Roddy to "Come Ooonnn DOWN!".  Before watching the clip, I was expecting Gene to sound more like what he did on the TPIR vs. Y&R episode of Feud. ((on par) :))  Gene Wood did NOT have the same enthusiasum as an actual TPIR announcer.

musicman

Tons of TPiR clips
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2005, 10:52:47 PM »
I just saw a clip from 1982.  Was Johnny O dancing to "Disco Inferno" or "Start me Up"?

tvrandywest

Tons of TPiR clips
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2005, 10:59:25 PM »
[quote name=\'musicman\' date=\'Jul 19 2005, 06:52 PM\']I just saw a clip from 1982.  Was Johnny O dancing to "Disco Inferno" or "Start me Up"?
[snapback]91845[/snapback]
[/quote]
"Disco Inferno" was one of the songs on his warm-up tape produced by the CBS crew. It was a wonderfully programmed tape that built in pace and volume with each song until John made his enthusiastic entrance. He was the master!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 10:59:49 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com