Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Could It Be? COULD IT REALLY BE?!?  (Read 9843 times)

Ian Wallis

Could It Be? COULD IT REALLY BE?!?
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2005, 01:57:59 PM »
He takes categories out of order, which I imagine would upset at least some viewers (I know it always irks me),

I know we've had this discussion a couple of times before, but that really doesn't bother me.  Actually, I find it to be a refreshing change.  It gets kind of old when virtually every contestant starts at the top and works their way down - it's nice to see a different approach every once in a while.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jay Temple

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2005, 04:46:10 PM »
I don't like submarine pitchers in baseball, but if you can win doing it, more power to you.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

blockbusterfan

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2005, 05:34:23 PM »
Hey, I haven't caught Jeopardy lately, but will be sure to do so tonight and tomorrow. Is Friday 7/22 the last show of the season, or is it 7/29?

Maybe Madden's skipping around the board is to throw his opponents off? That's a helluva good strategy, and he must be doing something right with 280k in the bank. I sure can't knock him for that one.

uncamark

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2005, 06:28:56 PM »
[quote name=\'blockbusterfan\' date=\'Jul 21 2005, 04:34 PM\']Hey, I haven't caught Jeopardy lately, but will be sure to do so tonight and tomorrow. Is Friday 7/22 the last show of the season, or is it 7/29?
[snapback]91966[/snapback]
[/quote]

IIRC, tomorrow's the last show of the season.  If I'm right, Trebek will say something about it being the last show tomorrow.  If I'm wrong, he won't.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2005, 06:30:41 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Jul 17 2005, 10:13 AM\']It means winning a game that has "Translating Karlbergese" as one of the categories.
[/quote]
If you can do that, you should be awarded a Doctorate.
Hell. I just found the topic for my thesis.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Johnissoevil

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2005, 01:54:39 AM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' date=\'Jul 8 2005, 11:24 AM\']I'm sure northern New Jersey could use some game show fame. :-)
[snapback]91029[/snapback]
[/quote]

We already have some game show fame here in the southern part of North Jersey.  A certain someone you all know tried out for Millionaire constantly, failed each time by slipping up, and failed to make it onto WOF twice during its visits to NYC.  I wonder who that could be....
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Ian Wallis

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2005, 09:00:25 AM »
IIRC, tomorrow's the last show of the season. If I'm right, Trebek will say something about it being the last show tomorrow. If I'm wrong, he won't.

Tonight's show (July 22nd) is definately the last of the season.  I caught the satellite feed on Wednesday.  Interestingly, Alex says the champion will have to wait 6 weeks until they return.  Didn't we deduce that it will actually be 7 until the show's back?  Oh well...this show was taped in March!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2005, 09:23:01 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jul 22 2005, 08:00 AM\']
IIRC, tomorrow's the last show of the season. If I'm right, Trebek will say something about it being the last show tomorrow. If I'm wrong, he won't.

Tonight's show (July 22nd) is definately the last of the season.  I caught the satellite feed on Wednesday.  Interestingly, Alex says the champion will have to wait 6 weeks until they return.  Didn't we deduce that it will actually be 7 until the show's back?  Oh well...this show was taped in March!
[snapback]92021[/snapback]
[/quote]

Mark Jeffries said earlier this week that J! and WOF have their season premieres the Monday after Labor Day this year(as they did two seasons ago), and he's usually right :)

Don Howard

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2005, 11:25:25 AM »
That makes up for last year when he say it would be seven weeks and it was six. This evens things out.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2005, 11:52:42 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jul 22 2005, 10:25 AM\']That makes up for last year when he say it would be seven weeks and it was six. This evens things out.
[snapback]92032[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wow.

You are now on my list of people I need to meet before I die. :-)

Brandon Brooks

Don Howard

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2005, 12:14:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jul 22 2005, 10:52 AM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jul 22 2005, 10:25 AM\']That makes up for last year when he say it would be seven weeks and it was six. This evens things out.
[snapback]92032[/snapback]
[/quote]
Wow.
You are now on my list of people I need to meet before I die. :-)
[snapback]92034[/snapback]
[/quote]
Stop over anytime. You can regale me with tales of your H2 adventure.

Timsterino

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2005, 07:53:39 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' date=\'Jul 15 2005, 05:35 PM\']Since it does look like he could be around for a while...

Is it just me, or does anybody else find him not as rootable-for as Ken Jennings? He takes categories out of order, which I imagine would upset at least some viewers (I know it always irks me), and he usually makes tiny Daily Double wagers, which doesn't make for compelling television.

There's no denying that he knows a wide range of trivia, and he's certainly playing the game successfully, but I find him a lot less fun to watch than Ken. It'll be interesting to see, if he continues to win, whether the show sees another word-of-mouth increase, or whether it takes more than a winning streak to create buzz.

--
Scott Robinson

(You've just answered the $1,600 and $2,000 questions in the category correctly, you have a $10,000-some lead, and the Daily Double is in the $800 box. A $900 wager?!?)
[snapback]91527[/snapback]
[/quote]

It is not just you. I am constantly rooting for his opponents. His Daily Double strategy is annoying but it works for him. He is a good player but not that likeable. However, if he keeps winning does that really matter?

Tim
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 07:54:14 PM by Timsterino »

beatlefreak84

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2005, 04:34:32 PM »
It is not just you. I am constantly rooting for his opponents. His Daily Double strategy is annoying but it works for him. He is a good player but not that likeable. However, if he keeps winning does that really matter?

Yep; I'm right there with you; I'm definitely watching the show just so I can see if this guy loses.  He definitely seems to have this air of cockiness that KJ didn't really have; KJ just seemed to be there playing the game and having a good time while this guy seems to want to prove his intelligence to the world.  And, sorry Matt, but, while I definitely wanted your game against Ken to be a close one, I was kinda hoping that Ken would be able to continue his streak...:) (Be gentle!)

Anyway, as far as your question, Tim, I think it would matter, maybe not initially when the new season starts, but as he keeps winning.  If he really is an unlikeable character compared to KJ (those who are watching the show with me say the same thing), then the viewers will begin to turn off.  Maybe they'll watch just to see him get beat (that's why people watched Herbert Stempel on "21," right?), but I suspect that most people will just find something else to do and come back when this guy has finally run his course.  For some reason, while negative attention may have the power to attract people to something like positive attention, it doesn't have that staying power like positive attention.  Again, the perfect example is "21;" Stempel got "boring" after a few weeks on the show and, despite being on for about three months, no one really wanted Van Doren to lose.  My opinion, anyway...:)

He does not seem to have the skills and vast quantities of knowledge that KJ did, and so I think his run definitely will not threaten KJ's record, but he could make an interesting splash in game show history.  It's unfortunate, sure (he he), but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

MCArroyo1

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2005, 10:20:23 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but Ken seemed to come across as much more confident than David was/is.  David isn't so much as cocky as he is happy that he knew the correct response.  

And I guess I'm the only one rooting for him.  Maybe it's because I knew a kid in high school who was just like him.