Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Museum of TV & Radio  (Read 3833 times)

Steve_Bier

Museum of TV & Radio
« on: July 24, 2005, 10:40:03 AM »
...and I had a great time!

I watched an episode of "Wheel" from 1978 (I kind of prefer Chuck's hosting to Pat Sajak's), a random episode of "Knockout" (Arte Johnson made for a good host, but I can see why the game didn't last too long), a 1984 episode of "Tattletales" (more on that later), and (somewhat on-topic, since Bill Rafferty was involved), a 1982 episode of "Real People".

My two questions:

1): What other game shows did I miss, that I should have watched? I wanted to watch MG-HS hour, but I already had too many shows picked.

2): Was this episode of Tattletales was well towards the end of the run? Guests were David Shire & Didi Conn, Vic & Sheila Tayback, and John Clark & Lynn Redgrave. I can't find any information on it.

Thanks...

Steve

Jimmy Owen

Museum of TV & Radio
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 11:59:36 AM »
Tattletales air date 4/2-6/84.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

The Pyramids

Museum of TV & Radio
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 01:58:02 PM »
Were you in New York or Beverly Hills?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Museum of TV & Radio
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 02:48:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve_Bier\' date=\'Jul 24 2005, 09:40 AM\']1): What other game shows did I miss, that I should have watched? I wanted to watch MG-HS hour, but I already had too many shows picked.
[snapback]92150[/snapback]
[/quote]
The HSq ep from the same broadcast day that gave you WoF and KNOCKOUT was a hoot as well (if memory serves, it was 3/15/78--and that day's GONG is also available).

I found the MGHS show somewhat unwatchable--the sound was very scratchy.  I believe I was at the L.A. one at the time--the NY copy may be of better quality.

There was a list that was kept here some time ago about game show eps that are available.  In fact, there's a post about it here.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Brandon Brooks

Museum of TV & Radio
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 03:33:07 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Jul 24 2005, 12:58 PM\']Were you in New York or Beverly Hills?
[snapback]92153[/snapback]
[/quote]

There is also one in Chicago... however, I don't know if it has opened back up yet.  Mark, any idea?

Brandon Brooks

Edit:  It's known by a different name... Museum of Broadcast Communications.  My bad.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 03:34:06 PM by Brandon Brooks »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Museum of TV & Radio
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 04:45:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jul 24 2005, 02:33 PM\'][quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Jul 24 2005, 12:58 PM\']Were you in New York or Beverly Hills?
[/quote]

There is also one in Chicago... however, I don't know if it has opened back up yet.  Mark, any idea?

Edit:  It's known by a different name... Museum of Broadcast Communications.  My bad.
[snapback]92156[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm not Mark, but I believe it's scheduled to reopen in 2006.  And for those who didn't know, I'm pretty sure it's not run by the same people who operate the MTR in NY and Beverly Hills.

Doug
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 04:45:53 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Steve_Bier

Museum of TV & Radio
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2005, 08:32:01 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Jul 24 2005, 12:58 PM\']Were you in New York or Beverly Hills?
[/quote]

New York. My feet are still killing me from all the walking I did. LOL.

Steve_Bier

Museum of TV & Radio
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 08:40:22 PM »
I have another question...now that I'm looking at the list of shows at the MT&R--

Are these shows available at BOTH museums, or are some in NY, and some in LA? NY only had one Woolery episode of WoF (March 78).

Didn't realize the Tattletales episode was from April of 84. When GSN aired the one mother's day episode of TT (from 5/84), it was still branded as a Mark Goodson-Bill Todman Production, while this episode was simply a Mark Goodson Television Production. Did they switch back and forth, or was this an error?

Card Shark

Museum of TV & Radio
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2005, 09:22:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve_Bier\' date=\'Jul 24 2005, 09:40 AM\']...and I had a great time!

I watched an episode of "Wheel" from 1978 (I kind of prefer Chuck's hosting to Pat Sajak's), a random episode of "Knockout" (Arte Johnson made for a good host, but I can see why the game didn't last too long), a 1984 episode of "Tattletales" (more on that later), and (somewhat on-topic, since Bill Rafferty was involved), a 1982 episode of "Real People".

My two questions:

1): What other game shows did I miss, that I should have watched? I wanted to watch MG-HS hour, but I already had too many shows picked.

2): Was this episode of Tattletales was well towards the end of the run? Guests were David Shire & Didi Conn, Vic & Sheila Tayback, and John Clark & Lynn Redgrave. I can't find any information on it.

Thanks...

Steve
[snapback]92150[/snapback]
[/quote]
As far as I know, which dates back to my last visit in April 1994, there is some milestone episode of Fleming-era Jeopardy, a late 1970's Pyramid episode and a Cullen TPIR episode among others that I'm unaware of.
Adam Strom

uncamark

Museum of TV & Radio
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 02:48:28 PM »
The Museum of Broadcast Communications is a different organization than the Museum of Television and Radio.

Their web site:

www.museum.tv

I couldn't do an immediate search of their holdings, but I know that they have a different bunch of game shows in their archives than the MTR, including a whole bunch of eps of the original run of "Supermarket Sweep"  (we're talking Bill Malone--real supermarkets--real audience--black and white) they received from a donation of David Susskind's archives (Al Howard produced the show for Susskind's production company, as he did not want to be reminded until he was counting the money).

The new location for the MBC will be State and Kinzie in Chicago, right behind Marina City, with Harry Caray's and the House of Blues a short walk away--so you have your broadcast museum with lots of shows to watch, you've got your Garfield Goose puppets, you've got the Radio Hall of Fame and you have your Grade A tourist traps (said with great affection) very close.  Something to look forward to.