Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Strange Job Titles  (Read 5531 times)

uncamark

Strange Job Titles
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2005, 03:02:20 PM »
As recent as 1969, it seemed to me that the original "YDS!" would show both sides of the Bonus Board puzzle submitter's post card with address not blacked out, every day on screen before John Harlan gave them their 10,000 Top Value Stamps (or whatever other prizes they gave out).  Maybe they'd started blacking out the address by then, but it didn't seem so.

zachhoran

Strange Job Titles
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2005, 06:57:21 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jul 25 2005, 02:02 PM\']As recent as 1969, it seemed to me that the original "YDS!" would show both sides of the Bonus Board puzzle submitter's post card with address not blacked out, every day on screen before John Harlan gave them their 10,000 Top Value Stamps (or whatever other prizes they gave out).  Maybe they'd started blacking out the address by then, but it didn't seem so.
[snapback]92243[/snapback]
[/quote]

The address of the home player was not seen on-screen(name and home city was), but was read on-air, during the mid 70s Syndie LMADs where celebs made deals for at-home players. The players were chosen out of the city's telephone directory, and had not sent in postcards.

Don Howard

Strange Job Titles
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2005, 09:54:32 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 25 2005, 05:57 PM\']The address of the home player was not seen on-screen(name and home city was), but was read on-air, during the mid 70s Syndie LMADs where celebs made deals for at-home players. The players were chosen out of the city's telephone directory, and had not sent in postcards.
[snapback]92270[/snapback]
[/quote]
That was a brilliant idea, by the way. Oh, God, those celeb LMAD shows are classics. I'll grant you Red Buttons was entertaining. I remember Milton Berle, Nanette Fabray and Marty Allen also were on the trading floor for those. Were there others or was the stunt mercifully ended after four shows?

Steve Gavazzi

Strange Job Titles
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2005, 10:18:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jul 25 2005, 09:54 PM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 25 2005, 05:57 PM\']The address of the home player was not seen on-screen(name and home city was), but was read on-air, during the mid 70s Syndie LMADs where celebs made deals for at-home players. The players were chosen out of the city's telephone directory, and had not sent in postcards.
[snapback]92270[/snapback]
[/quote]
That was a brilliant idea, by the way. Oh, God, those celeb LMAD shows are classics. I'll grant you Red Buttons was entertaining. I remember Milton Berle, Nanette Fabray and Marty Allen also were on the trading floor for those. Were there others or was the stunt mercifully ended after four shows?
[snapback]92281[/snapback]
[/quote]

Don't think so...I'm pretty sure they also had at least Bill Macy and Ruth Buzzi.

Jeremy Nelson

Strange Job Titles
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2005, 10:43:05 PM »
I do believe that Nipsey Russell was on the trading floor at one time, as well. It was shown on GSN quite a few times.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Steve_Bier

Strange Job Titles
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2005, 10:59:58 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jul 22 2005, 03:31 PM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jul 22 2005, 12:23 PM\'][quote name=\'rebelwrest\' date=\'Jul 22 2005, 02:35 PM\']Now a group of us is playing where the heck does she work
[snapback]92051[/snapback]
[/quote]
[snapback]92059[/snapback]
[/quote]
It was a Goodson Todman panel show that never made it:
"What's My... Address?"

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[snapback]92062[/snapback]
[/quote]

Didn't you audition for the hosting gig for that?? ;-)

BrandonFG

Strange Job Titles
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2005, 04:34:55 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Jul 25 2005, 09:18 PM\']Don't think so...I'm pretty sure they also had at least Bill Macy and Ruth Buzzi.
[snapback]92287[/snapback]
[/quote]

I remember those two as well. IIRC, was it Bill who won a car for the home viewer, then traded it in for the Big Deal, much to the audience's protest.

He won a bigger car in the Big Deal.

It was either Bill or Milton Berle, I think.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

zachhoran

Strange Job Titles
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2005, 08:48:35 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 26 2005, 03:34 AM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Jul 25 2005, 09:18 PM\']Don't think so...I'm pretty sure they also had at least Bill Macy and Ruth Buzzi.
[snapback]92287[/snapback]
[/quote]

I remember those two as well. IIRC, was it Bill who won a car for the home viewer, then traded it in for the Big Deal, much to the audience's protest.

He won a bigger car in the Big Deal.

It was either Bill or Milton Berle, I think.
[snapback]92304[/snapback]
[/quote]

Milton won a big deal of a pool table, cash, and other prizes for his home player, not a car.

The big deal when Bill Macy was on the show was two Datsuns, won by the other contestant. I don't remember what Bill won for the home player.

BrandonFG

Strange Job Titles
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2005, 06:17:04 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 26 2005, 07:48 AM\']Milton won a big deal of a pool table, cash, and other prizes for his home player, not a car.

The big deal when Bill Macy was on the show was two Datsuns, won by the other contestant. I don't remember what Bill won for the home player.
[snapback]92307[/snapback]
[/quote]

Considering it's been 11 years since I've seen the episodes, I hope you don't expect me to remember all the details, which is why I said IIRC and *I think*.

Anyways, there *was* a celebrity who won a car in one of the games, then gave it back for the Big Deal (much to the audience's chagrin). He then went on to win a bigger car in the Big Deal. I don't know who it was, I just remember seeing it.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Jay Temple

Strange Job Titles
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2005, 05:01:35 PM »
"Please welcome our next contetstant, Mrs. Ethel Schwanz of Hackensack, New Jersey! Oh, dammit!"
It's been nearly a week, and I'm still laughing at this.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.